Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Passenger

Default First Time Cruiser: is one side of the ship better than the

other? We have an 8B balcony room on the Spirit for a southbound Alaskan cruise this summer. We are concerned that one side may have a better view of the scenery, while the other side has a better view of the sea. (Pardon our ignorance, if this is ridiculous!)

Also, we're trying to figure out which excursions to sign up for. We will stop in Sitka, Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan!

Thank you so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Are you on the port side or starboard side?
Old January 15th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dana,
No, I honestly don't see that either side will make a huge difference, some of the time you'll be out on the higher decks and can see both sides, etc.

As for excursions, just keep reading through them and find whats best for you. I would suggest some kind of whale watching in Juneau, either through a ship excursion or a private tour company. We went with Capt. Larry and had a wonderful time, saw lots of whales and were with a much smaller group than the ones offered through the cruiseline.

In Skagway, we did the White Pass Railroad tour and that was wonderful, although on the long side, the scenery is amazing and on the way up fully narriated with lots of interesting facts and stories.

There are so many different excursions, you'll just have to decide what and how much you want to spend, because, yes, they are expensive there, but its a once in a lifetime kind of trip, so you don't want to miss anything.

Have fun and Welcome to Cruisemates.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 15th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Passenger

Thanks for your help. I believe we are currently booked in a balcony room on the starboard side.
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Admiral

I have had cabins on both sides and they are the same in regards to the scenery. The ships dock on either side at the piers so it is a 50/50 proposition as to what side is available when the docking is done.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Thank you all for your responses. I was just wondering as we cruise southbound (not while in the port), if there is a better side of the ship to view the scenery. We have booked a balcony room, so it would be ideal to hang out on our balcony occasionally and watch the scenery (not the sea) go by. Thank you all again!
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Go to the Lido Deck and sit awhile.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Passenger

The top side is way better than the bottom side, . sorry just had to. Any side is great , wish I was there. We stode up front on upper outside decks when near ports.