Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Passenger

Default Shore Excursions in Progresso & Cozumel?

We are cruising on the Elation in April to Progresso & Cozumel. I would appreciate some suggestions on things to do (excursions or on our own) in Progresso & Cozumel. We have two children, ages 3 & 6. I would love to hear from someone that has been to these ports. Thanks!!

Fantasy May 1992
Fascination April 1995
Conquest September 2005
Elation April 2006
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Shore excursions Progresso and Cozumel

We have been to Cozumel several times and Progresso once. We went to Progresso because our other ports were closed due to hurricane. As you know Cozumel was damaged by Hurricane Wilma in October, but I understand that it will be repaired by Spring. We like to go to Chakanaub State park and take our own snorkeling gear. You can arrange for a guide there with very reasonable pricing. You can also book excursions to swim with the dolphins. Just keep checking here to see what is going on closer to your cruise date.

We did not particularly care for Progresso, but apparently others have enjoyed it. I understand the beach there is your best bet. There is an open air market near the pier and a larger one just as you get off the bus at the end of the pier in town. I don't think I would personally wander around town without a tour. We took a short open air bus ride through town which was nice and then a longer bus tour out to the ruins and to see the flamingo's in their natural habitat. Many went on the tour to Meridia which is much larger. You might enjoy that as well.