Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Default Age policy..sucks

Myself and two friends are trying to go on the Carnival Glory March 18-25th. I am 21, one of my friends is 21 and our other friend is 19. Apparently, if you're under 21 you have to have someone 25 stay in your room, the exception is if you're married, in a gay union, or in the military.

Any ideas? We thought maybe if someone hadnt booked yet and had a group of 3, they could book one of their people in with us, then just sleep in the room with the rest of their people... we'd pay them like $200 or something if they did.

Our only other idea was for one of us to get 'unionized' with our 19 year old friend... definitely our last option.
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Beginner

I'm sorry, I have no ideas for you -- but I have to say that two guys getting "unionized" for the cruise kind of sounds like the plot of a sitcom, doesn't it? If that's what you end up doing, make sure you write it all out in great detail and send it to Hollywood!

Good luck!
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:41 PM
First Mate

How could they validate a union? Especially if you're from a state where its illegal?
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG
How could they validate a union? Especially if you're from a state where its illegal?
Not sure, we're from a state where it's illegal but I'm tracking all the info down now on getting same-sex marriages in Mass. When I emailed Carnival about their age policy, they explicitly mentioned same-sex unions... I'll have to clarify with them on if it still counts if it was done in a different state, but I dont see why it wouldnt. I doubt many people are crazy enough to get married just to go on a cruise, haha.
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:34 PM
First Mate

I think you're missing my point, what I'm trying to say is; if you were to tell carnival that you are in a same sex union, how can that be verified, especially if you're in a state where it is not legally recognized? You can simply say that you and your friend are lovers , that doesn't mean you have to run out and get married. If Carnival has a problem with it, cruise with someone else.

I'm sure Carnival is not turning away guy/girl reservations, how could they turn away guy/guy, or even girl/girl reservations, as long as two people are booked in your cabin?

I will assume that you're getting heat because you're under 25. There are many many questions you could ask, such as; what if a couple that lived in seperate homes, but had a baby tried to book a cruise for the 3 of them, but the couple was under 21, would they not be allowed to book their cruise?
Old January 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG
I think you're missing my point, what I'm trying to say is; if you were to tell carnival that you are in a same sex union, how can that be verified, especially if you're in a state where it is not legally recognized? You can simply say that you and your friend are lovers , that doesn't mean you have to run out and get married. If Carnival has a problem with it, cruise with someone else.

I'm sure Carnival is not turning away guy/girl reservations, how could they turn away guy/guy, or even girl/girl reservations, as long as two people are booked in your cabin?

I will assume that you're getting heat because you're under 25. There are many many questions you could ask, such as; what if a couple that lived in seperate homes, but had a baby tried to book a cruise for the 3 of them, but the couple was under 21, would they not be allowed to book their cruise?
Ahh, I get what you're saying now. Well, I'm not sure since I'm really not too familiar with all the paperwork and legalities regarding marriage (since Im only 21). So when people are married they don't have some type of written documentation saying they are? The email says:

"The couple must have legal proof of partnership/union at embarkation "

So, I'm not sure.
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM
First Mate

When we cruised the where more concerned that my information paperwork to prove I was an American was in place. They never once asked to see anything other than Drivers License / ID and Birth Certificate.

But I'm also over 25, so I'm not sure what to tell you.
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Hi Lonesome Dove,

I think your best bet would be to find someone 25 or older to go with you. Another idea would be to cruise Princess. This is from their site:

Quote:
Passengers under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a Passenger over the age of 21.
The only time married people have to have proof (and I've rarely heard of anyone being asked for it) is if they are recently married and their passports show different names and addresses OR if they are under 21.

I really don't think you want to go the "civil union" route!

Would you really want to get married (to anyone!) just to cruise ?

Have fun whatever you decide!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Yeah, you don't want to wear that "jacket"

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Admiral

The reason that this policy exists is that a few years ago,unchaperoned, young-single,"spring breakers" trashed quite a few cruise ships.
You might want to post your request over on the singles board
You might also want to go to a local travel agency, they might be able to get you into a group, just to get someone over 25 listed in your cabin. Its all on paper, once you get onboard, you change your cards at the purser's desk.
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I live in a state that allows civil unions. Yes, you get paperwork - but they are very difficult and time consuming to get dissolved. Just like a marriage - they're not intended for fly by night type of schemes.