Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival's 1A cabins...Anyone done one?

Hi all,

I hope someone who has tried one of these cabins could tell me how it was. I have done 8 cruises before, so am not a newbie, but have always had someone to go with. This year, if I want to go at all, it might be solo, so if I get up the courage, I'd like to try it as cheap as possible to see if I can still have a good time by myself. The Elation has a new itinerary that I want to try really bad but I can't find anyone that can go this year. I can talk to anyone so I think I could make my own good time but wouldn't feel comfortable in a roommate situation with someone I didn't know...and I've been told that I snore, so it wouldn't be comfortable for anyone else either! ! Thanks for any info you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:45 PM
First Mate

8)
My mother and I stayed in a 1A cabin on the Inspiration last October.
Elation and Inspiration are sister ships. The cabin was plenty big for
the both of us. It had an upper and lower bunk that were offset. I was
in the upper bunk with my feet over my mothers head in the lower bunk.
Plenty of room and we had a cabin right near the stairs, which made
getting to everything very easy. The only draw back was how dark it
is. Be sure to take a night light. It is easier than leaving the bathroom
door ajar.
Happy Sailing....
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks so much, Cruisinbears! My last 5 cruises have been mother-daughter ones also and they were great but she has a new job, so can't go this year and I have been depressed with nothing planned. I'm really trying to get up the courage to do this on my own. I always do inside cabins so I do know how pitchblack it is in there! Had obstructed view twice because of a decent price, but try to go as economically as possible to cruise more often. Did you like the ship? I have a book with the deck plans so I can see where the cabins are located. If you wouldn't mind one more question...what deck were you on? I am looking at Riviera deck, the bottom one because I have motion problems and they are center ship. Those look smaller than the 1A's on the Upper and Empress decks but are toward the back of the ship. I've only been on one other Carnival ship, the Destiny. Thanks so much for all your help.
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Have never had one but if you go to the following link you can check different ships because some A1's have portholes.. Also, do a search here because there are a few ppl who have cruised in them. Go for it.
http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Carnival/Liberty.htm

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 19th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Passenger

I'm staying in a IA cabin this March. I have two cabins booked - one for my teenage son and friend. We prefer to spend money on shore excursions and shopping. I am a little worried too, and almost apologetic about a IA, but I'm a teacher and this fits my budget!

We sailed Mariner of the Seas last year, so I keep telling my two kids not to expect the same thing. They just loved the cruise so much and wanted to go on another, so here we come cabin IA's.

kcmom
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Sensation 1999

We had a 1A on the Sensation in 1999 (I think that was the year). It does have the two bunks. We found it to be roomy and the closest space was great. I even think the bathroom showers are a little bigger than the 1A. It was in the back of the ship so there was movement. If you've cruised before in an inside, this should be fine.
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:30 PM
First Mate

I'm booked in a 1A on the Liberty sailing Feb 4 but still have not been assigned a cabin. Hoping for one of the 1A's with portholes but with my luck will get "upgraded" to a better inside. Personally would stick with the lower Cat cabin with a porthole.

Doug
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Beginner

I'm sailing on the Liberty Feb 12 and booked 1A. I received my cruise documents yesterday and was pleased as punch to discover that I am on the Main deck, forward with two portholes. Twin bed with a sofa/pull out bed. It will be perfect. I'm glad I took the gamble!
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:50 PM
First Mate

8) Dear PC BOSTON,
Our 1A room was on the Empress deck, towards the back of the ship.
E181 was our room number. Use Carnival's deck plans on their web site
to figure out where it is located. We were very pleased with the whole ship and our room. Everything was good: service, food, shows, and the staff.
Be happy to answer any more questions you may have. Have a great
cruise.
Happy Sailing...........................
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Just wanted to say good for you, PCBoston!! Honestly I've never understood people who say "Oh no, I can't go or do (fill in the blank) by myself!!!" (as they shrink away in horror!)

You know what?? If you always wait for the perfect situation, a lot of wonderful experiences will be missed forever!! Honestly, sometimes I enjoy doing things alone....just recently visited a museum I wanted to see. Took as much and as little time as I wanted in the museum, took a drive afterwards where *I* wanted to go, and just truly enjoyed my day!!

So much better to take this experience and make the most of it! Beats sitting at home watching the tube, that I know for sure!!!

Hope you have a great time!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:48 AM
First Mate

SK8rGirl thats what I'm hoping for. Did you book a guarantee? I can't figure out why I haven't been assigned a cabin with two weeks to go and the ship has been sold out for months.

Doug
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

What a great response to my questions! Just shows once again why this is such a super cruise resource, the best board out there and the nicest people. To all of you who have taken the time to answer, I thank you so much and to all who are waiting to go, I hope that your trip is wonderful and that you'll post again after you get back and share it with us. I try to answer others whenever I can give useful information and love to hear all opinions from everyone, both good and bad. I'm still trying to find someone who would like to go, but if I can't, I'm almost ready to take the plunge. Thanks again for the kind words and the encouragement. Here's to exploring the world on the best vacation out there! Happy sails to all.
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have used the 1A cabins many times since I usually travel alone. I have plenty of room. The bathroom is the same size as other class cabins and sometimes you have more space because there is only one bed at floor level. Some Carnival ship's have 1A cabins that are outside with either portholes or windows. These cost the same as other 1A cabins. You have to look at the deck plans to see which cabins are outside.
Inspiration - June, 2007
Carnival Valor - May, 2007
Carnival Glory - August, 2005
Carnival Glory - April, 2004
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Sensation - September, 2000
Paradise - June, 2000
SS Norway - May, 1996
Fantasy - November, 1993
SS Norway - May, 1993
Old January 20th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Passenger

the best 1A cabins on carnival are on main deck aft on the new ships (valor, liberty). cabins 2462,2465. they have 2 large picture windows and plenty of room for a single. but are priced the same as all other 1A cabins.
Old January 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM
First Mate

I too have done a 1A room. It was my friend and I a few years ao on the Fascination. I think you actually have quite a bit of room since there is only 1 bed on the floor. So with the 2nd bed up it was perfect.
Hope that helps!

Michele
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
Beginner

DougH, I did book guaranteed. I guess it's "Captains Surprise" during Embarkation on what you get. Very strange you don't have a cabin assignement this close to your sailing date - could be a good thing!
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
First Mate

8)
Dear pcboston,
Our cabin was E181. It was in the back 1/3 of the ship and near the stairs. 2 flights and we were at the dining room, 4 flights and we were
at the buffet restaurant. Inspiration was wonderful. The food was
some of the best I have had on 6 prior cruises, shows were wonderful,
service was great, and the ship itself was very clean, bright, and looked
as if it had recently been refurbished. I have been on 4 Fantasy class
ships of Carnival and Inspiration is my favorite. About the motion sickness: My mother and I both have problems with this and this cabin
was not a problem. We did feel a little seasickness when on top deck
one day, but once in the cabin all was well. I am Happy to answer any
questions I can. Have a great cruise no matter what you choose.
Happy Sailing.....
Old January 22nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

CruisinBears,

Thanks once more for all the great information! I do have a brochure with deck plans so was able to see just where your cabin was. Those look as big as some of the higher priced ones and sounds like it was convenient to a lot of things. I see that you were right near the stairs and wondered if there was much noise from there or from the restaurant right above it? I'm not trying to be a pain here, honest! It's just that I've picked wrong before and put us over the motors, under the pool, and next to a roaring airshaft of some sort on various cruises and I try really hard now to chose wisely. Didn't ruin my cruises though. I still get excited planning the next one. I hope that you and your mother have something planned for this year and if I can ever be of any help, just ask. Have a great Sunday...
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
Passenger

I travel alone, and I book 1A to pay the lowest price. On my first cruise in November 2004 (Victory), the cabin was on the Main level (level 2), just below the lobby, with no windows. The cabin was very comfortable and I have no complaints at all.

On my second cruise this past December (Valor), I had another 1A cabin, but it had two large windows, which were great! The cabin was very spacious, and the two single beds were together, so essentially I had a king-size bed. Again on level 2, towards the back of the ship.

I'm booked to do the transatlantic repositioning trip on the Liberty next November, and I was assigned a cabin on level 2 towards the front of the ship, and it has two portholes.

The windows or portholes make a big difference, if you can get one of those cabins, and I find that the least expensive 1A cabins are very comfortable for my needs, and it certainly compensates for the single supplement I have to pay all the time.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:10 AM
First Mate

Dear Pcboston,
I love to communicate with you. You are so upbeat. The only noise we
heard was from the storage closet near our door. On 2 mornings we heard
one of the cabin stewarts bang the door. One morning we were already
awake and the other morning we should have already been up, so it didn't
really bother us. I would love to take mom on another cruise. She is a
terrific lady, however, it may have to wait until next year. Oh, we did not
hear any noise from the stairs and really very very little from the hallway.
Like you I really get excitied planning my nest cruise. DH and I leave in
33 days for our next one.
Happy Sailing............
P.S. Happy to receive emails too.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Familiar Face

Hi pcboston,

I have booked a 1A before and been upgraded.

I hope you try cruising alone. I loved it! My first cruise was by myself and I could not wait to go back! My second one was with a group and I shared a room with someone I did not know. We had a blast! Then....I took my husband on one and now....he always wants to go with me. !

If you love to read and just relax and enjoy, give it a try.

galvgal
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

travelcruiser,

Do you have pictures of the 1A cabin with windows you were in on the Valor?

Jodi
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:57 PM
Passenger

I don't know how to post pictures on the board, but if anyone wants to see the 1A cabin (#2465) on the Carnival Valor, send me an email with your address, and I'll be glad to forward them to you.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

travelcruiser,
I got the pics. Looks like I made a great choice. My first week on the Glory, I am in a Cat 11 Suite, and the second week my father is joining us, so I decided to move to my own cabin. I have always just booked the Cat 1A Gty, and been upgraded to an inside Cat 4. I was fully prepared to pay the extra 500 bucks to get the OV Gty, but now that I heard about the 1A with windows, I went for it. This time I told my agent to specifically book that cabin. Looks like plenty of room for two people, much less just me.

Thanks a million.

Jodi
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Passenger

I'm glad you got them, Jodi. It's a very comfortable cabin.

I've only cruised twice, so I don't have much experience with different grades of cabins, but at least I've already learned that windows or portholes (I have one of those cabins on my transatlantic cruise in November) really make a difference. It's nice to look out! I'm not sure that a balcony would be worth the extra money (for myself), but the windows certainly ARE worth it.

Enjoy your cruises!