Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Familiar Face

Default For those of you who cruised back in the 70's and 80's.

I keep thinking back to our honeymoon cruise in 1983 on the Carnival's Carnivale ship. Man, did that 40,000 ton ship look huge when we boarded. It even had a movie theatre on board. (No TV's in the rooms in those days). Just wondering if any of you went on this ship or the Mardi Gras and have any stories about sailing during the early Carnival days.
One thing I remember was that the Carnivale was an older ship, but very elegant. Not much deck space outside for deck chairs like on todays ships. I think it had an inside pool too.
Now we have to decide which Carnival ship to go on for our 25'th anniversary in 2008. These ships sure have changed during this 25 year period. I can't wait to see them in the years to come.
Dave
2006 Valor (Already sailed)
2005 Triumph
1983 Carnivale
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Remembering my first cruise on Carnivals Festivale in 1983. Yes, I remember thinking how huge she was. The next year we sailed on the Mardi Gras. Those were both memorable trips for me. It seemed that each ship we took was progressively bigger after those first two.
Laura
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Beginner

Default madi gras

i was on the madi gras back in '82?. a bunch of us fresh out of HS 6 day cruise from bos to bermuda. i don't remember much but it was alot of fun. my next is 2/18/06 on the liberty. carnival won't give me credit as a previous cruiser though their records don't go back that far, but if i have any docs from said cruise... LMAO it was over 20 yrs ago i was 20ish yeah i saved them???
Old January 27th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Admiral

My first cruise was on the Festivale way back in 82, four single girls in an inside cabin, boy did we have fun. In fact, my girlfriend meet her husband(still married) on that cruise.
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Familiar Face

Festivale in 84 wow brings back fond memories. Remember formal nights with those goofy hats and lei's??? We got upgraded to a Veranda stateroom and thought how special are we... Twin beds, bolted to floor. Yeah we were special all right....
Festivale 1990
Tropicale 1992
Holiday 1994
Inspiration 1996
Celebration 1998
Inspiration 2000
Elation 2001
Destiny 2002
Glory 4/24/04
Spirit 10/09/04
Liberty 9/05
Liberty 4/1/06
Spirit 8/1/07 Alaska
Spirit 4/6/08 Mexico
Elation 5/14/09 Catalina
Triumph 9/26/09 New England
Miracle 3/27/11 & 4/4/11 B2B

Next
Spirit 4/28/2012
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was on the Festival in '85 with 3 of my girlfriends. We were very lucky and got upgraded to a balcony suite. We thought we were in heaven and everyone we met was jealous of our "huge" cabin and balcony. The funny thing is, that cabin was only about the size of a standard balcony cabin on today's Carnival ships. They balcony was really special tho since there were only 10 balconies on the entire ship.

Liberty 12/02/07
Miracle 03/26/06
Pride 03/03
Holiday 03/87
Festivale 07/85
Old January 27th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Admiral

was on all three in consecutive years in the early 80's..they were my first cruises and to this day they were the best..my favorite story was my then GF and I were on the Festival and the majority of the passengers were Gay Men and we did not notice anything different until the first night when we were one of the few mixed couples dancing on the deck..this was back in the 80's so the social acceptance was not what it is today

Needless to say we had the greatest time in the world with our fellow passengers and the best party cruise ever

cruising with different people who are joined together by the common love of cruising is the best way to go
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Familiar Face

I agree with you guys and girls. Even though the cruise ships are just wonderful today, the cruise itself back in the 80's just seemed to be much more fun. Not sure why. I remember wearing silly hats (like new years hats) during some of the formal dinners. Another thing I remember were the sit down dinners at night. The waiters in those days would not just bring you out a small plate of food to your table. They would bring out these huge platters of food and kept pushing it on to your plate until you said "stop". If you were not looking your plate would be heaping full. lol
Hey Venice, speaking of gay cruises, did you ever see the movie "Boat Trip" with Cuba Gooding Jr.? A couple of guys got their travel agent mad so he put them on a gay cruise to get even with them. Its not the best movie, but has many funny funny parts. Not for children though.
Dave, Denise and my 2 daughters.
2006 Valor (Already sailed and am almost over the post cruise blues)
2005 Triumph
1983 Carnivale
Old January 28th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Mardi Gras 1984

Three of us were on the Mardi Gras in the summer of 1984. We had a cabin with two bunks and a port hole. We had a great time. I had forgotten there were no TV's in the room. I don't even remember ice buckets.
Old January 28th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Admiral

We too cruised on those "old" ships. The Festivale, Carnivale, and of course Mardi Gras. I'm pretty sure that on one of these three, we had an "outside" with "ocean view" that was literally that. The porthole was at about 5' high on the bulkhead (wall), and you could see the water splash over it from time to time. Yep, we were under water!!! We had some great times on those ships. They sure have come a long way though!
Thanks for the memories
Ken
Old January 28th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Prankster..did not see the movie but I heard about it...my point being back in those days cruising was still so different, that everyone onboard just had a great time and did not get all up in arms about the stuff that folks do today...it was just soooooooo much fun on that cruise
Old January 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Familiar Face

Venice oh how so true. I remember just being excited to cruise, couldn't care less about getting a saved chair, smuggling booze or an upgrade. Just prue simple pleasue of being on the sea with others of like mind.
So glad this thread has brought back those most wonderful memories. I will take this refreshed mind on my next sailing on the Liberty April 1.
Festivale 1990
Tropicale 1992
Holiday 1994
Inspiration 1996
Celebration 1998
Inspiration 2000
Elation 2001
Destiny 2002
Glory 4/24/04
Spirit 10/09/04
Liberty 9/05
Liberty 4/1/06
Spirit 8/1/07 Alaska
Spirit 4/6/08 Mexico
Elation 5/14/09 Catalina
Triumph 9/26/09 New England
Miracle 3/27/11 & 4/4/11 B2B

Next
Spirit 4/28/2012
Old January 28th, 2006, 08:58 PM
First Mate

Our first cruise was on the Carnivale in the early 80's. I actually don't remember the year for certain, but I think it may have been '82 or '83.

And yeah, the ship then looked huge to us....and it was nothing like what we cruise on now!!!

We had an inside cabin....and what I remember most about it was the odd layout. The door opened between the two twin beds. There was no way those beds were getting pushed together! You walked between the two beds to get to the "rear" of the cabin, where there was a dressing table/mirror and chair. To the left of that was the closet, and to the right of that was the bathroom -- small, small, SMALL! Especially in comparison to the bathrooms on today's ships. And it was DARK.

That first cruise was when I learned that if you are prone to motion sickness, you will likely experience it on a cruise ship no matter how many other people tell you "Oh, you don't feel it on a big ship."

The disco on the Carnivale was on one of the lower decks, up at the very front of the bow. We cruise out of Miami and once the ship got out of that channel and into open sea....whoa!!!! I have no idea how we managed to dance, it was like trying to dance on a platform on a bungee cord.

The very next year, after our Carnivale cruise, my brother-in-law sailed on the Tropicale. We saw him off (that was when you could still board the ship to see friends off) and marvelled at how big and beautiful the ship was -- it looked so much more modern than the Carnivale!
Old January 28th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Passenger

Our first cruise wasn't with Carnival. It was on one of the big red boats. The ships were old, but very well maintained. Crew were very friendly. It was was way smaller when we were in port next to something newer. Although if it was still around I'd sail with them again.
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:11 PM
First Mate

Remember getting on Mardi Gras in the 70,s with college students bringing cases of beer on board and real parties by the pool.Games of chug a lug with trophies for the winners and celebrity status for the rest of the cruise.They still sold numerous drinks were priced at a $1.00 and less for imported beer.The waiters made special meals at your table every nite to include special flaming desserts.Where did those days go?Ther was no bridge to Parradis Island in Nassau and it was wild over there.Do not evenm try to compare cruising today with those days.
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Our first cruise wasn't on Carnival either but on the Azure Seas out of San Pedro. We thought we were hot stuff among our friends because we were going on a cruise......It was all of 14,600+ gross tons! and 800 passengers To us it was a Palace. Our cabin was on the Promanade deck, couldn't have the beds together and on the other side was the walking area so we had to keep our curtains closed. We had to go down the hall to dry our hair. I also remember the hat games, the New Year's Eve hats on formal night, the beer drinking contest and many other participation games. Lots of fun. We loved it so much, we moved up to the Tropical next.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Admiral

The Azures of the seas was the Carnival on the west coast..another great time and experience
Old January 29th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Familiar Face

I just wanted to tell you guys and girls about my 2nd cruise which was in 1985. It was on a Greek ship called the MV Jupiter. Talk about small!! 9,000 tons and 400 passengers. This cruise started in Dominican Republic and stopped at 14 ports in 14 days returning back to the Dominican. This ship (boat) was so small that it could actually go to many ports that the big ships can't go to now. (Curacao being one of them). It sure was a memorable cruise. Can anyone remember going on a smaller ship than this one? If I am mistaken, I think this ship sank somewhere in Greece, not too long after we went on it. This was my one and only non-Carnival cruise.
Dave
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Yeoman

Default For those of you who cruised in the 70's, 80's

All of these posts bring back so many wonderful memories. Just replied to similar posts on chats. Yes, I remember the party hats and lei's. Every night was New Year's Eve! I remember the narrow hallways and the tiny bathroom, but oh were we impressed. It was a simpler time and we were young and ....the ship was the Festivale the year: 1984. Didn't cruise again until 1995, but we just went on our 18th cruise. Time to start planning again, time's awasting. Forgot to add we had a cabin with two portholes, now that's living!

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old February 5th, 2006, 06:10 PM
First Mate

I was on the Mardi Gras in 1978. It was beat up looking then.. we had one tiny port hole and our room was up front so to look out of our port hole we had to fall against the wall as it was on a slant.
You could sit on the toilet while you showered if I recall. The disco was wild and you did get tossed back and forth.. Not really great for dancing.

We were able to mix and mingle with all the crew and we partied with the band.. it was wild..

Those cute Italian officers from Portifino !!!

Yes those were the days..

Also did the Jubilee in 87...

Old February 5th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our first cruise was in 1983 on the NCL Sunward II. She was only 14,110 tons and built in 1971. We were amazed at how big she was! We were upgraded to an outside porthole cabin and we were treated like royalty.

Now we are booked on the Carnival Conquest (about 100,000 larger) for my retirement from the Air Force cruise. How the time has flown by and the ships have grown!
Carnival Paradise
NCL Dream
Carnival Elation
Carnival Conquest
Golden Princess