CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Elation Rumor - Baggage dumped into the Galveston Harbor? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/307943-elation-rumor-baggage-dumped-into-galveston-harbor.html)

Rob M. January 29th, 2006 06:08 PM

Elation Rumor - Baggage dumped into the Galveston Harbor?

We are just back from the 1-21 sailing on the Grand Princess and we were riding back to the hotel with a couple who was on the Elation and they said that the day they left the people loading the big cages full of luggage onto the ship dropped one of the cages into the Galveston Harbor and all the bags from that cage were forever at the bottom of the harbor.

Can someone confirm this?

Also they said that the people were only compensated $75 for the loss of their luggage. IMO that is no where near enough money to re-buy clothes for the entire 5 day cruise.

Can anyone confirm if that was the amount that was given to the affected passengers?

Anne Campbell January 30th, 2006 09:53 AM

I've never heard this. Could be true or untrue. You know rumors!

Fern January 30th, 2006 06:04 PM

Hi Rob,

I haven't heard this particular rumor, but someone on CM's, long ago, reported that their luggage fell into the water. I think they said a diver retrieved it for them. But I could be wrong :wink: !

Rob M. January 30th, 2006 10:59 PM

This has been confirmed, pics will be posted soon on Cruise Critic, a member was on this sailing and saw it all.

Passengers are only entitled $50 per person up to $100 per stateroom for lost baggage according to Carnival contract of carraige. Man that sucks for those people.

CA Cruiser January 31st, 2006 12:09 AM

Rob,
Does CC have Photo Gallery like CM? I have been reading and posting there for a year or so and have never seen one.

Roscoe January 31st, 2006 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
Rob,
Does CC have Photo Gallery like CM? I have been reading and posting there for a year or so and have never seen one.

Excellent question, one I've been meaning to ask as well. :?:

galvgal January 31st, 2006 10:15 PM

Welllll......I just asked a reliable source and....yes it is confirmed that some luggage did go into the drink. Apparently the crew ACCIDENTLY lost their hold on a load of luggage and off it went. Some was hauled up and some was lost.

I do not know what the compensation was, so I cannot address that issue. All I can say is....unfortunately, sometimes we humans make mistakes. Yes, I know it hurts, but it does happen.

I hope the cruise line will take care of those whose luggage contents were lost. I somehow doubt it, but I will continue to hope. I also hope that someone will follow up with the resolution to this problem and let us all know what happens.

galvgal

mehawk February 1st, 2006 10:13 AM

I look at it in the same way as if the airline lost luggage. At least this way, you know where the luggage is and can have some sort of closure instead of wondering if someone else has your luggage.