Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Beginner

Default Carnival Destiny - a few Q's!

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I have about the Carnival Destiny...

This will be our first time on a Carnival ship (we are on the 5th March S. Caribbean cruise).

We have opted for the late sitting for meals as the evening slots suited us better - however, we are a little concerned about breakfast at 9am. On a couple of the days we will be doing excursions which leave at 9am - is there anyway of switching to an early sitting for breakfast and staying at a later sitting for dinner? Is it very strict that we are not allowed breakfast until 9am or could we just go earlier the days we are booked on excursions?

We have askled for a table for 2 in the main dining room - how likely are we to get one?

On the formal evenings are there alternatives if you do not wish to dress up? What kind of clothes are suitable for the men?

On average on how much are the treatments in the spa and are they worth it?

I am very excited - can't wait to go! Thanks in advance for any help

Pooky
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Admiral

As far as I know, all cruise ships are now open sitting for breakfast and lunch. The specific times are listed in the daily Capers. Yes, there is alternative dining where you can wear shorts if you don't want to get dressed up. I have seen tables for two but have never had one. We like the larger tables, meeting new friends. Spa treatments are usually less on port days. I wait till the later in the week for the Spa taster; you choice of 3 treatments for about $99. I don't do this at home but I think they are a good price for what I get. Have a great time planning. Enjoy.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

We'll be on the Destiny the week before you!

Not much longer now

Our last cruise, we would order breakfast via room service for the days where we had minimal time for going to the dining room. There's also the buffet to choose from.
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Beginner

thanks for your help - greatly appreciated. One thing - how much extra is it to order breakfast to your room?

Thanks
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's free - included in the cost of your trip.

I just found all my old cruise stuff last night and was looking at the menu for in-room breakfast. It is somewhat limited - but a nice option for those crunch times!

Have a blast - you'll love it!
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Beginner

Default spa treatments

Quote:
On average on how much are the treatments in the spa and are they worth it?
i just went on a cruise and they have a channel on the tv dedicated to sucking you into the spa. we went for the "couples" massage. It was $199 for one hour. I thought it was good, any massage is good to me, but I have been getting massages for 20 years and I didn't think it was worth the money. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. Just a little pricey for my tastes. I usually pay about $70 for an hour + a tip. There was nothing special about the couples massage except that we were in the same room. After we were done, we had to endure a 10-minute hard-sell trying to sell me something called frangipani oil. The products were OVER PRICED and they actually tried to sell vitamins to detoxify the body. I saw about 20 women getting a "ladies night" treatment that I was thinking of signing up for, but I am really glad I didn't.... there was one spa employee showing them how to apply treatments to their faces, etc.... it didn't look like a treat to me, it looked like an Avon party.....

Needless to say, unless you really enjoy spa treatments and are willing to go ahead and spring the money, I wouldn't recommend it. Save the money to buy yourself a nice treat off the ship or to get a massage after you get back home!!!

I hope I didn't sound too negative here, I enjoyed my massage, but I wouldn't really do it again on a cruise.
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I find the spa services run about 25%-40% more than they do where I live (Boston area). They do run specials on port days and toward the end of the week. Depending on your ports there are some beaches where you can get a massage right on the beach cheaper than on the ship.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 4th, 2006, 06:47 PM
First Mate

I ALWAYS book a massage for the day before I leave on my trip right here at home I also get my nails done beforehand too because french manicures last the entire week and look great with every outfit. By the end though, after all of the salt-water contact, it is on the decline.

Since I obsess about this trip for months anyway, giving myself this teaser is a wonderful way to make the vacation feel like it is starting a day earlier. Plus it relaxes me completely before going. After months of planning it is welcome. AND it saves so much money.

The only thing I'll MAYBE have done on the ship is an up-do for formal night. I know it sounds like it, but this choice of mine isn't even all about the money....I've just heard more not-so-positive reviews of ship services than great ones AND they charge way more. Doesn't make sense to me .

Waters
Old February 5th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Passenger

You can still go to dinner in the regular dining room without going extremely formal. I have seen many ladies just wearing coctail dresses...you know...the little basic black dress...got one myself! Although a few men wear tuxes, my boyfriend just wears a nice suit...works great! We have seen some men just wearing nice shirts and ties on formal night...probably ate too much and couldn't get that suit jacket buttoned .
Also, breakfast is normally open seating and you can wear shorts. We have seen many people wear shorts to the open breakfast...The buffet is a good choice...we normally go that route...there us an omelot station where they make them made to order...they will also fry you some eggs if you ask!
The Destiny itin is a great one...Aruba has the most beautiful perfect white sand and blue water that I have ever seen!

Sea ya!
Cruzn
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2001- Destiny (week of 9/11 tragedy)
2002- Pride ( February and September)
2003- Glory and Fascination
2004- Glory
2005- Valor
Old February 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM
First Mate

Open seating breakfast is decidedly casual (shorts very ok) because most people are eating and then getting off the ship for the day. They understand this.

Waters
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:09 AM
First Mate

Default More answers

We have sailed Destiny twice,
I agree with the spa comments--I'd save my money for home treatments too. I never felt relaxed, and again the product pitch. I do have spa pricing sheet if you are interested.

As far as dining table--we have had early and late--late allowed us to unwind after being on shore exursions, get cleaned up, if really hungry a snack from room service (they are pretty fast--usually 10 min longest ever was 30 min). My parents used it every day for breakfast like clockwork using the door hanger at night with their selections. We chose the sun & sea outside buffet being we had a teenager sleeping in.

AS far as table for two: best shot at is getting to maitre d' as soon as you board --we were told maitre'd would be at Universal dining entrance from 2-4 and promptly showed up (early) our table was satisfactory. Otherwise, inquire--and ask, especially if it can be associated with "we are celebrating" if you get good service, or hesitant perhaps a tip is in order?? I noticed most of table for 2 were upstairs around rim. We found a booth a great option. It seemed the larger tables had lots of people from groups on board our cruise.
Enjoy.
PM me or post another question here if I can help I will post back.
Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Beginner

thanks for all of your help and suggestions. Our tickets arrived yesterday and we got upgraded from a category 8a to an 8d! so excited!!

Pooky