Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Travel Agent or Not?

I've been on 3 cruises, looking to book next one on the Valor. In the past, we've always booked on our own, we know the process, and never had any problems.

My question, however, is there any reason to use a travel agent - in particular - can you ever get better rates with them versus on your own? I would guess maybe they could have a group rate maybe, but am looking to see if there's a way to save a few $$$ on this next cruise!

Thanks.
Valor Westside!
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I always book with a good cruise travel agent. You can ask if they have certain group space on certain ships and they can pass on the saving to you. There is never any need to actually be a part of that group. I've found that you can get better rates through a good travel agent and you always have someone to contact with questions or changes, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

With Carnival travel agents are allowed to discount below the cruise line rate. They are not allowed to advertise the lower rate however.

So, to get their best price it's going to take a phone call, or e-mail. Just checking their posted prices on a web site will not necessarily be the price they are selling it for.

I always recommend using a travel agent! If something does go wrong, you've got an agent working for you, not one who's employed by the cruise line.
Old January 30th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

If you can find a good TA, I suggest it. I have had the same one for 13 years and she has booked all of my cruises.

From experience of a canceled cruise, the criuseline offtered little compassion or help, whereas my agent got me rebooked, air changed and happy ending in under an hour.

I highly recommend using an agent. Ours has an after hours answering service that has access to all of their reservations, so it something comes up late a night, I know we have someone to help us.

Jodi
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175
Default wouldn't do it any other way

I say use the TA for sure! I've used the same one for the past 6 years and she is amazing! Used her for a regular vacation to Hawaii and decided we wanted one more night. Called her from the beach and asked her to take care of it and 30 minutes later we had everything we needed without having to make a zillion long distance phone calls. Our TA also has a 24 hour service and although I've never used it, it feels good to know it's there if I ever need it. She also "knows" my likes and has been able to recommend great vacations that I have ended up LOVING. She is the one who suggested a cruise and I'm sure I will love that too. No extra costs either, which is nice.

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Captain

i have a good travel agent we get the dinner time we won,t also get a
good price and she picks out the right cabin for us and if i need help i can just call her
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default ta?

My ds & dl have a ta. They were suppose to honeymoon in Cancun just days after the hurricane hit. My ds travel agent spent 10 hours arranging for him and his fiance' to go to another island for their honeymoon. My ds had to pay an additional $130 to the airline (who did not care). They did not care that the area was devastated. They just kept saying we can fly in there. The travel agent kept saying to them, "The place is under water."
My ds ta was the only reason my ds got a honeymoon.

I do not think you have anyone to go to with the internet sites. If you bought it, its yours. I don't know of any recourse. Does anyone?
Old January 31st, 2006, 08:34 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with the others, a good travel agent is worth his/her weight in gold, especially when somethinng goes wrong. I wouldn't book anyother way.