Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
First Mate

Default Best Cruise Line For Southern Caribbean

Yes, we would like to plan for a Southern Car. sometime Feb./March next year. Going on Eastern this March. Going with Carnival. Never sailed on them, on RCCL. Just wanted some different opinions on ships that do the southern route. Destiny, Empress of the Seas from RC, Crown Princess from Princess. Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks!
RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
First Mate

Destiny was our first ship (sigh). And I really don't know if that first experience can be matched. It was a fantastic trip. And gettng to spend the day in Aruba was the icing on an already large cake! Aruba is phenomenal. We rented a jeep for the day and took off on our own through the center of the island! It took a few hours and we were covered in pink clay at the end.....but a swim in AMAZING Baby Beach took care of that!

Things may have changed since then, but we wish more southern intineries were offered where the ship does'nt sail from Puerto Rico (airfare is outrageous).

Waters
Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would also figure in the ports each goes to, what ones do you really want to visit and go from there. I love ths itinary best, you can visit more islands and have less "sea" days, and while sea days are fine, as long as you are so far away from home, why not see new and exciting places..

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175
Default puerto rico

we actually considered booking the southern route for 2 reasons:
1. i found an awesome pirate ship excursion thingie in barbados that i REALLY wanted to go on.
and 2. i've never been to puerto rico and thought it would be nice to go down a few days early and have another mini-vacation.

air fare wasn't bad to puerto rico at the time (last year). i think it was about $400 round trip.

exotic western won out because the bf wanted to go to xunantunich ruins. oh well. will give me an excuse to book another cruise.

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Southern route is also my favorite. I have done 3 from San Juan, great to go down a day early and enjoy that port, too. Did Destiny in 2001, Adventure of the Seas, 2004, and Golden Princess in 2005...all great ships and lots of ports. My personal favorite of those 3 was Golden Princess, both that one and Adventure did 5 ports and two alternating routes, so you'd have to check the itineraries for the dates you wanted and see if Barbados was on the route for that sailing. We were there on the Adventure of the Seas....that cruise also stopped at St. Lucia and we did a pirate ship tour at that port and it was really a lot of fun. Happy sails....
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
First Mate

if you have 10 days there are several cruises from Ft.Lauderdale If 7 only you will have to choose San Juan as your starting pt. in most cases.
Old February 5th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Passenger

I have been checking out some southern for the beginning of next year.
Princess...never been on that line....has a couple of great 10 day cruises out of fll. If you fly to San Juan, I would go with RCCL....anything that gets you to Aruba would be perfect!
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2001- Destiny (week of 9/11 tragedy)
2002- Pride ( February and September)
2003- Glory and Fascination
2004- Glory
2005- Valor