Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:59 AM
Passenger

Default cabin assigned already for 4/29?????

We are cruising on 4/29. We booked an 8a gty...Our pvp told me about a month ago that 8a and 8b were already gone...we would at least get 8c. Lo and behold...we got info in the mail, our cabin has been assigned. 8a! Our final payment isn't even due until 2/13. There will probably be some cabins dumped back into the inventory by TAs and there are still lots of cat 11 left! Why would they assign a cabin before final payment is due?????
We have cruised with CCL 15 times and this is the first time we booked an 8agty and are very disappointed!
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2001- Destiny (week of 9/11 tragedy)
2002- Pride ( February and September)
2003- Glory and Fascination
2004- Glory
2005- Valor
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Not quite sure why you'd be disappointed getting what you booked?

Though it is possible your assignment could change before sailing... you did get what you paid for. Hoping you would be upgraded is understandable, but being upset because you weren't?
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Admiral

not exactly sure why you are disappointed. You got exactly what you wanted and paid for. When booking a guarantee you should always book the cabin catagory that you want. Don't book a lower catagory in hopes of getting an upgrade.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Admiral

This still puzzles me...If you booked a balcony guarantee and have not made final payment what papers did you receive? Is it just a confirmation of your booking, showing you are paying for an 8A? If, so does it have a cabin #? If so, sounds like your TA booked that specific cabin and not an 8A cabin gty, which is what you agreed to book. If you received your actual cruise documents, HOW when final payment hasn't been made? Your questions too. Not sure why your TA told you that all the 8As and 8Bs were gone, how would she know about how many 8A gtys there were booked? And the ppl booked before you would most likely get an 8C before you. As Kuki and Lisa said before, always book the lowest catagory you will be happy with. I have found the only difference between A, B, C, etc is location. Cabins are usually the same. You will still have fun!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Please don't misunderstand my disappointment. I have cruised many times and understand that if you book a 8agty that is what you could end up with. That is not what disappoints me. I will be just fine with any balcony! Cruising is so much fun!
I know we all would like that shot at a cat 11 (there are many left)or any upgrade.
I am disappointed because our pvp said we would be in at least 8c as all 8a and 8b were gone when I talked to her a couple of weeks ago.
We booked directly with CCL with a PVP. We don't have our docs. We were sent a confirmation letter with 8agty on it. Last week, we got another one in the mail and it shows 8a with an assigned cabin. We are not cruising until 4/29. The cabin was assigned over 90 days prior to sailing before final payment. I find this quite odd because cabins become available after final payment because some people change their mind and cancel or TAs put them back in the inventory when they have some they didn't sell. What's to say that other cabins don't become available, maybe even some cat 9's? We usually book cat 9 or cat 8 with long balconys but they were gone when we booked this. Does this assignment
mean that we have no chance for further upgrade?
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2004- Glory
2005- Valor
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Can you call the pvp and tell her you don't like/want that cabin and want to be put back on the gty list? Not sure if it's worth a try.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Admiral

i would keep in constant contact with your PVP, make her work for you.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the replies....I am going to give my pvp a call later when she gets in today. She is really nice but we booked this cruise with her and two days later there was a sale with $100per cabin onboard credit. I am sure she would have known about this sale. Then a couple of weeks later there was a 150pp discount. I e-mailed her about this and she said our price was still better....I checked the website and made phone calls as if booking a new cabin....our price was not better....I didn't follow up with her anymore on this one. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had a cabin assigned for a gty 90 days prior and before final payment. Sure sounds weird to me.

Happy Cruising Everybody!
Sea ya,
Cruzn buckeye
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2004- Glory
2005- Valor
Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Twice I have recieved my cabin assignment in my docs. Then when I get to the pier I find they have changed my assignment. Another time when I arrived at the pier they told me outside that my assignment had changed and given me a new room number. Then when I got inside to check in they gave me yet another room number. both times it ended up a higher category. So the window for change is still open up until you are in your room.

Laura
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
First Mate

I don't know if this is completely related to your issue, but I have fully paid for a 4a gty on my March cruise and when I go to the Carnival website and click on "stateroom details" it actually shows me a picture of an ocean-view room! Now, of course I'm excited because this seems to indicate that this will be the first time we've been upgraded AND the first time we've had a view of anything, but I did think it odd. In fact, the fact that I can even click on the details of my cruise (after having booked with a TA) and retrieve real information is great.....I don't recall being able to do that on the previous two cruises. In those instances, we could only handle all business through the TA. Carnival wanted nothing to do with us. Now we have the ability to SEE which room we have (only cool when you booked a gty in one category and see a 'better' category pop up I suppose) and we can order shore excursions and buy stuff for our room!

But, I digress. If it's a guarantee, then I always thought that they assign cabins at pretty much the last minute. Even when the docs arrive, all it usually says for our cabin is "4 gty". And, say they need to change around my room later, should they really be showing me a picture of an oceanview room now? I can see where this might be dissapointing to arrive at the ship and find you are, in the end, getting the 4a room after being shown an ocean view for the past 6 weeks I'm thinking they are showing me the pic of the oceanview because maybe they've already assigned me? I don't know.

Oh well, it sure does add to the anticipation. We've only ever stayed in 4a's anyway so we wouldn't really know what we're missing if they do take "our" oceanview back Just weird though....maybe Carnival is doing things a bit differently now then they used to??? The original poster has cruised so many times that I think he/she would know by now when things occur out of order/sync.

Waters
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I wouldn't count on a Cat 11, but great if you get one, I also always hope for a great upgrade. April and May are spring break months and they will probably sell out in the next month or so.

Jodi
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Passenger

Waters,

I hope your upgrade to ov sticks...I remember our first two cruises were inside. They are great if you like to sleep in because the cabin is so dark! Then on our first 7 day we went with oceanview...loved it! Never went back to inside. We tried our first balcony on the Destiny...now we are really hooked!

I spoke with my pvp yesterday afternoon. She said a large group booked and the cabins were needed for them. The ship is nearly sold out except for the cat 11's. She also said she doesn't see many 8a upgraded to 11...although I have seen many post that they got the upgrade.
They booked us in a cabin for 3...maybe someone will need it and they will upgrade us!

Have a great cruise!
cruzn buckeye
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2004- Glory
2005- Valor
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:51 PM
First Mate

Yeah, thanks Buckeye You too! When I posted in response to your initial post, I was thinking maybe there is more to it than "you must have your facts mixed up". Because of the "strange" stuff that's happeining this time around (see my previous post) maybe things are really just changing. And I notice the difference after only 2 cruises under my belt, so you must REALLY know

Your situation is really odd odd odd. You haven't even paid them in full yet??!! What is that? You'll have to inform us later how it all worked out.

You wanna hear one of my theories as to why I am already being told what room category I'm getting?? (without having to do the ole Kelly method from the "old days!!) When I booked, I happened to get this really great TA. Her and I just hit if off. What can I say....she was just a wonderful TA and person to chat to! Well, turns out she ended up quittting 3 weeks after she booked us. I was pretty bummed when I called up and found this out. Well, maybe she had one of those attitudes where if she was quitting SOMETHING must have made her want to, so she upgraded all her clients in a silent protest against her company!!! So maybe the Carnival website showing us in an 6a instead of a 4a is what our wonderful TA did before she left. As far as Carnival is concerned, maybe we have a 6a gty and NOT a 4a and that is why we don't have a room number assigned yet, but our category is popping up loud and clear!!? This would actually indicate the possiblity that we could be upgraded from a 6a now! Yay!!! I know.....don't get ahead of myself. But, heck....this is fun!

See....now why would I fantasize about such an elaborate theory if what was happening WAS normal??? lol

Waters
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Passenger

Hey I am saling on the Pride May 21, 2006. I booked a 8A gty cabin, when should i expect that my cabin will be assigned, and after they assign it what is the probability that it will change.

Also we are a group of 4, i was thinking its more probable that we get upgraded to an 11 category than a party of 2, since we are more difficult to fit in a room becuase there are less rooms that accomodate 4. Do you think my assumption is correct?
Old February 5th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Passenger

Waters....

What a great theory!!!.....not sure if it's right...but ...its a GREAT one!
Here's a way to check your cabin...not sure if it will work but since you said you can book shore excursions on the CCL site try this....
Is your reservation on the website...in other words does it say "check details" or "view details" under your name with so many days to go? Click on View details or "my reservation". Then click on modify booking ( you don't really have to modify it...just exit out using the x at the top when you are finished looking). If your cabin has been assigned you will see the cabin number. It also shows more detail about your reservation and profile here.
Good luck on your upgrade!
Where are you cruising to?

Jero Tequila...

We have been on the Pride twice when it was sailing out of Port Canaveral! This is my absolute favorite ship! It is so beautiful...and we love the pool area...much better than Fantasy class or Destiny or Conquest class. The only reason we haven't went back on her is we don't want to fly all the way to California! You are going to love this ship!
As far as upgrading to a cat 11 ... they don't book four in those cats.
They will book 2 or 3. Cat 12's hold four.

I talked to my pvp Friday aft. and she said that a large group booked and our ship is almost sold out...she said not many 8a get upgraded to cat11..although I have read many people's posts that got that upgrade.
They have us in a cabin for 3 although there are only 2 of us, maybe a group of 3 will need our cabin and we'll get that upgrade we are hoping for!

Sea ya,
cruzn
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2004- Glory
2005- Valor
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM
First Mate

Buckeye~ Hey! Aren't you helpful??!!! I tried to do what you outlined and I am able to go to My Reservation but I don't get a "Modify Booking" link

But that's okay because the way I see it, it lends credibility to my Theory. One can not see thier room number when they have a GTY....and it must just be that I, indeed, have a 6a gty now Yay!

I'm being insane. To think in the real world I'm a "serious" grad student!

Waters
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

We always just book a min. inside and hope for an upgrade. I much prefer the balcony but figure thats its not worth the extra cost. I would say that we have been upgraded atleast 85% of the time. Our cruise on the Pride in a couple of weeks worked out again for us. We booked an inside and now are in an ubstructed view balcony. Sounds good to us considering that I only have $1100 total invested. As long as you are going to be content with the min. then it is without a doubt worth the chance.
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Passenger

Wow!!!! 1100 for a balcony on Pride...CAN'T BEAT THAT!!!!!!!
Have fun!!!!!
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2004- Glory
2005- Valor