Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Formal nights and dining rooms

Has anyone ever skipped most formal nights and/or dining room eating? I have skipped one night - and we much rather enjoy eating on the Lido when we just feel like eating --
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Captain

We gave our daughter and her new husband a cruise for their honeymoon. My son in law is a very picky eater and they never ate in the dining room the whole cruise. Guess it takes all kinds
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old February 4th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Admiral

We've done that on a couple of cruises.......we just wanted to go casual for the whole cruise........it was actually kinda nice.......no time set for anything......enjoy....do what ya want.....

Sharon
Old February 4th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

We didn't step foot into the dining rooms for our Glory cruise in 2004. We made the decision prior to leaving, and boy did it sure cut down on my packing. We enjoyed eating on our schedule and not having to change out of shorts to eat.

We did not however adjust our tips becasue of that, we still paid the recommended amount, because from what I understand, it is also shared with those who are working on the Lido deck. We see our dining room servers in the Lido deck often.

Jodi
Old February 4th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Passenger

We love Lido deck food! I love not having to stop and change just to go eat and spend over an hour doing it. For me vacations are about shorts and tank tops and just enjoying the beautiful ocean and weather. And the food available on Lido is very good, and there are so many choices.

Miracle - February 2008
Liberty - November 2006
Valor - January 2006
Destiny - January 2005
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Whew..........thanks guys! I sure thought I was going to start a war with that question, but we are country folk over here and dressing up is not our bag! I do like, however an occassional meal served to me, don't get me wrong. But, after our last cruise on the Spirit and trying the Supper club (was not going to do it because had already paid for cruise which included food) I think my treat and night out will definitely be the supper club. I will skip the dining room - skip the Lido deck for a day (sure can't do it for two!) and make reservations for the Supper Club which is a 5 course meal that will hold you for the whole cruise! Its awesome! Nope, I do NOT adjust my tips either - whether they serve you or not, they give up a lot and do a fantastic job and deserve the tip reguardless of my choice I make.
Old February 4th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If you've determined in advance that you're not going to be using the services in the dining room at all, I'd suggest letting the Maitre D know.

This could open up a spot at a dining assignment that might otherwise show up as full. So, if someone was looking to change their dining assignment, you "officially" bowing out of yours could allow them to make someone else happy.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Passenger

Cheryl, I will be on the Glory 4-15-06 and I would rather just go to the casual dinning rather than the formal dining sence this is only my second cruise I will rent a tux for the formal dinner but then its shorts the rest of the trip for me! Lido deck sounds good my wife can't eat any spicy foods or anything with milk or eggs! Have a Great cruise Bill
Old February 5th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Passenger

What type meal choices are offered on the Lido deck?? I'm traveling with kids though well behaved dressing them and having them "behave" at dinner doesn't sound extremely enjoyable for a week. I already told my DH the kids and I would do 1 formal night but we'd get room service for the other........ didn't really think about the Lido. But if they offer good choices on the Lido then kids and I may opt for that frequently!
Old February 5th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Admiral

mom,
The Lido deck has the buffet with many wonderful selections; salads, sandwiches, fruits, pastas, hot sliced beef. There is also the 24/hr pizza and salads and hamburgers/hotdogs with fries. With 5 kids, this would probably be less stressful for you...and them!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Passenger

we enjoyed the Lido deck not attending any formal dinners. It worked great since we had our 4 and 8 year old. We feel that we are on vacation, shorts and tacky tropical shirts are more our thing! The only thing was on the one formal night, we felt out of place when walking around the ship and everyone was all dressed up. It felt like we crashed a wedding.
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

We only ate in the dining room for 1 formal night on our last cruise. The rest of the time it was the Lido deck. That's more our kind of food. Hubby could eat pizza every day and be happy. The food in the dining room wasn't our kind of food. Too fancy and we really didn't like what we got. We may try it again on our next cruise only because it will be my parents first time and they would like to try it. We did like the roasted pumpkin soup. I would prefer grilled chicken over the fru fru things that they have but I'll try something new once.
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Admiral

The Lido is great -- they have different areas with wonderful buffets - with a LARGE variety of foods. Also have different areas with hambergers, hotdogs, large salad bar, large dessert bar, fruits, etc....another sandwich made to your choice, along with different country foods - asia, chinese, etc. Definitely the 24 hour pizza, icecream and ceasar salad bars too! I do find that on formal nights, they cut back drastically I believe to entice you into the dining room. As you can see, there is never a lack of food. I admire you for bring if I saw right -- 5 kids on a cruise??? They will have a blast - but bet your pocketbook isn't having fun! Enjoy your cruise!!
Old February 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Passenger

The cruise is an extended family cruise. My in-laws are paying for the cost of it we just pay for ourselves once we are on board. A bit worried about cruising with 5 kids but I know it will be fun; don't know how relaxing but fun!!