Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Should Carnival require persons under the age of 21 to travel with a parent or legal guardian?
Yes 61 73.49%
No 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Passenger

I think people under 21 years old should not be allowed to cruise without a parent/gurdian. I don't see the logic behind 25 year old required in the room for anyone under 21. If a 21 year old is considered an adult and can be in a room by themselves then a person younger then it should also be acceptable for a person younger than 21 to be in the room with a 21 year old. A 21 year old is considerd an adult. I really don't know how the "great" age of 25 was picked out because age can't determine maturity. I know that Carnival has this policy to protect themselves and most 21 year olds are not mature but it is unfair for the mature 21 year olds. However, I don't feel Carnival should change their policy because it's their ships and if a person doesn't like it they should choose another cruise line.
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:33 PM
prylwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Do you kiss your mom with that mouth?

**edited by moderator**
Thank you for continuing to make my point, prylwd.
Actually I hug her but no difference.
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:35 PM
prylwd

Quote:
Adias, You are very correct.

Let's just ban prylwd!
Yeah ban me because I have a different and better opinion.
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:35 PM
prylwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
PS- You are very quick to judge my actions & personality based on the fact that I drink a lot. Does that make me a bad person? I don't think so. Although I do drink excessively........
WOW
What?
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Moderator edited me.

I was not profane, just used a derogatory term for immature behavior.
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Rather than discussing the topic or issue this thread is degenerating into personal comments and commentary about individuals.

That's not the purpose of the boards, and not allowed, and not tolerated.

Even if the "kids" don't get it, the adults should know better
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Quote:
Originally Posted by prylwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
prylwd, some of the ideals that you espouse are, already laws. Such as, when you state to raise the legal age of adulthood to 21 years of age, it already is. It just that some people have found "loopholes" in it just as you are asking for. The age to receive your drivers' license IS 18 years of age, and, once more, people have found "loopholes" to get around it. You see, you do have it both ways and just don't recognize it. I am not lecturing here, just pointing out facts.
I don't know where you live? Texas I guess? But were I live the legal driving age is 16 and one becomes an adult at age 18. Which is why u have to register for the draft/ military as soon you turn 18.
You Can NOT get a drivers license without your parents being present to sign there permission.. Notaries are available in the offices, but a person under 18 can not drive without permission. The legal age to get a license is 18. So legally you need to be 18. the loophole is getting parents to request a younger age. My daughter didnt drive till she was 18, neither will me son. That is my perogative as a parent.
I actually took drivers ed when I was sixteen and received my drivers license after completing the class successfully. My mother waited in the car since her signature/permission was not required. The only thing that was required was proof that I completed the class successfully and passed both the signs and content test. It's wasn't even required that you take the class you can choose to study on your own and document your hours and then just past the 2 exams. The law is different for each state but that was the law at the time in Texas when I got my drivers license.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:21 PM
prylwd

Quote:
Rather than discussing the topic or issue this thread is degenerating into personal comments and commentary about individuals.

Understood. However do not be hypocritical and call me a "kid". I didn't call anyone an old hag did I?
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Admiral

And I didn't call you a KID. It was a joke!

Even when I was young, I had a sense of humor. And I still have it, can't be helped.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Admiral

prylwd, that comment was directed toward me.
I am taking it in the spirit it was given.

I am unchecking the "notify me" option.

Have a nice life.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Well the point is that no one should have to vouch for a group of 18yr olds. They are 18 and considered an adult.
Fact of the matter is in some states children are considered old enough to have consensual sex at 14.

Doesn't make it right.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM
prylwd

Quote:
Quote:
Well the point is that no one should have to vouch for a group of 18yr olds. They are 18 and considered an adult.
Fact of the matter is in some states children are considered old enough to have consensual "***" at 14.

Doesn't make it right.
Doesn't make it wrong either. It depends on the culture.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM
prylwd

Quote:
prylwd, that comment was directed toward me.
I am taking it in the spirit it was given.

I am unchecking the "notify me" option.

Have a nice life.
Yeah ok. You sound like a friendly person.
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Quote:
Originally Posted by prylwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
prylwd, some of the ideals that you espouse are, already laws. Such as, when you state to raise the legal age of adulthood to 21 years of age, it already is. It just that some people have found "loopholes" in it just as you are asking for. The age to receive your drivers' license IS 18 years of age, and, once more, people have found "loopholes" to get around it. You see, you do have it both ways and just don't recognize it. I am not lecturing here, just pointing out facts.
I don't know where you live? Texas I guess? But were I live the legal driving age is 16 and one becomes an adult at age 18. Which is why u have to register for the draft/ military as soon you turn 18.
You Can NOT get a drivers license without your parents being present to sign there permission.. Notaries are available in the offices, but a person under 18 can not drive without permission. The legal age to get a license is 18. So legally you need to be 18. the loophole is getting parents to request a younger age. My daughter didnt drive till she was 18, neither will me son. That is my perogative as a parent.
I actually took drivers ed when I was sixteen and received my drivers license after completing the class successfully. My mother waited in the car since her signature/permission was not required. The only thing that was required was proof that I completed the class successfully and passed both the signs and content test. It's wasn't even required that you take the class you can choose to study on your own and document your hours and then just past the 2 exams. The law is different for each state but that was the law at the time in Texas when I got my drivers license.
maybe they changed it...dunno for sure. My daughter is 22yrs old and i wouldnt let her take drivers ed because her grades werent good enough. She wasnt allowed to take drivers ed without parents permission (hence i would let her lol) and she had to wait till she was 18 to legally apply for a license without drivers ed. If i had signed for her to take drivers ed she could have gotten the permit at 16. So in a round about way she still had to be 18 to drive without permission. That was a good 5 ish years ago...so who knows
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Passenger

I am about 99 percent certain this is more of a policy dictated by the insurance company that covers Carnival. Much like the magic age of 25 that most car rental companies have as a policy. Insurance companies have a lot of say in what happens on board ships and in hotels, for example...Pool closing times, etc.
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Clipper Cruises Yankee Clipper 2006
Avalon Cruises Artistry 2006
Carnival Pride 2007
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Captain

Quote:

Your so diplomatic Kuki And correct
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
It refers to the lawsuit Carnival's clerk spoke of and was quite simple to find using Google.
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...86-7223646_ITM
Is there any more information on the case? I am very interested on how the law see this (ex. age discrimination). Also curious as to why they could not have gone under the domestic partnership clause of Carnivals age policy.

My heart just broke for the young couple. I can't image having that awful story be the one I tell to everyone when they ask about the proposal.
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Admiral

A final reminder here to EVERYONE.. This is a CRUISE message board, and you should stick to the TOPIC.
The cruise boards are for an exchange of CRUISE information. And though we allow some leeway, this thread has gone way off the rails.

I've edited messages, and now had to delete messages.

If you can't disagree in a respectful manner on the topic, with reasonable debate, then DON'T post.
Going off into tangents of politics, and personal attacks just demonstrates a lack of ability to debate the TOPIC.

If you want to effect political change, write your congressman. If you want to debate political issues, do a google search, there are LOTS of boards for that purpose.
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Well said.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Admiral

That's why I bailed

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Beginner

[I'm sorry but any talk about level of maturity is bullsh1t. This country says that when person turns 18 they are legally considered an adult. If I am forced as a male to register for a draft then I damn well better be able to take a cruise. Sorry to upset u but that is a complete hypocrisy. There is no possible way for a cruise line to take each applicant case for case so I agree that they do need to enforce an age policy however it should be 18. It doesn't affect me as I am over 18 but I have strong views about this. The same argument can be applied for the drinking age but we won't get into that. I just can't understand how one can be expect to risk their life for a country that won't even allow them to have a beer.

In short I we should either lower the drinking age to 18 or raise the legal adult age to 21 (preferably the later). On top of that we should raise the damn driver license age to 18 across the United States.

end RANT[/quote]

Thank you thank you thank you. I agree wholeheartedly, I am 24 and I don't think age has a lot to do with as much to do with maturity levels and responsibility as it is made out to be. There is no set date where you wake up, "IT's my 21st birthday!" and suddenly you're mature beyond what you possibly could have been yesterday!!

I need to invent a maturity test
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Quote:
Hmmmm
72% in favor (as I write this post) of the 21 years rule.

Perhaps prylwd is making a case for this rule?

And terri910, you make one of the best points I've heard in quite a while.
Unfortunately your poll is statistically incorrect. It will show a bias due to the average age/socio-economic status of users of this forum. To get a true result to what you are looking for you would need a sample that is much more random.

Now as to the young vs old debate going on here (because in truth that is what it has become). I understand each mother/father who has posted out here and their concern for their own children. But seeing the rules based on what you wouldn't want your child doing seems a bit....well wrong. It is up to each parent to set those rules and enforce them. It in no way should be up to the cruise line to set boundaries families should be setting. People, including those under 21, are responsible by law for their own actions. And as far as getting drunk and making an @$$ of yourself well that I have seen happen at all ages. As I have said before I can understand wanting people over the age of 21 but to require a person who is 25 or older seems a bit extreme.

I am replying specifically to the part where you said you nderstand wanting people over the age of 21 (or, more accurately, age 21 at least). That was the whole issue to start with, it seems.
I'm not quite 25, so I cannot take a babysitter to watch my kids. Sucks for me.
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

You know, I hate to keep going back to the age thing, but you guys are not the only generation who thought this was unfair. We all have gone through it. BUT even if today, suddenly the rules were changed in this country, it would only apply in port. You are sailing on a ship who carries another countries flag. By the time you took on the whole world, your cruise would be over.

***** Are you aware that on a cruise ship, they have babysitters for hire? That might help.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Familiar Face

i myself have a very strong opinion on this seeing as how im am only 19 and just got off of the boat on thursday. i was going on my honeymoon my husband is also 19 and they had no problem they just told me that i had to bring the marriage licence onboard with us and they never even checked it but let me just add this i think it is worse to make someone under 21 travel with someone over 25 because i saw many people onboard who were not 21 and were drinking alchoal because someone they traveled with someone over the age and i also think that it is horrible that someone is mature enough to drive a potentially deadly vehicle, go and fight for our country, smoke, and care for children!!! i think carnival should be a little more willing to bend their rules in these cases.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM
prylwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaj426
i myself have a very strong opinion on this seeing as how im am only 19 and just got off of the boat on thursday. i was going on my honeymoon my husband is also 19 and they had no problem they just told me that i had to bring the marriage licence onboard with us and they never even checked it but let me just add this i think it is worse to make someone under 21 travel with someone over 25 because i saw many people onboard who were not 21 and were drinking alchoal because someone they traveled with someone over the age and i also think that it is horrible that someone is mature enough to drive a potentially deadly vehicle, go and fight for our country, smoke, and care for children!!! i think carnival should be a little more willing to bend their rules in these cases.
Another good point, thanks sweetie.
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Admiral

The policy is not going to change.
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM
prylwd

Quote:
The policy is not going to change.
That doesn't mean we can't discuss it. You (not you specifically you but anyone) talking politics with their co-workers or whoever is not going to change anything but people still talk about it.
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarina
[Thank you thank you thank you. I agree wholeheartedly, I am 24 and I don't think age has a lot to do with as much to do with maturity levels and responsibility as it is made out to be. There is no set date where you wake up, "IT's my 21st birthday!" and suddenly you're mature beyond what you possibly could have been yesterday!!

I need to invent a maturity test
I do agree with this. Its all a level of maturity. I have a couple of nephews that would have been great travelers at 19 or 20, i know a lot of people who are the same age that i would shudder to think of having to deal with them as strangers on a cruise where its so easy to buy alcohol and bring it on board.

It does bite for those "adults" who are punished because so many in thier age levels are NOT mature "adults". Unfortunatly for those who are mature enough to handle it, there isnt some magic questionare to take.

I wonder if its just carnival that has this age restriction, if those who are upset wouldnt be happier with another liner until they reach the magic age requirement.

good luck.
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Admiral

I believe NCL has the same restrictions.

When there is nothing set to establish criteria companies have to go with the odds.
Though it appears that the younger posters here possess the maturity to cruise alone, I believe a majority of their peers do not.
Very few car rental agencies will rent to those under 25.....under 25 year olds pay a premium to insure their cars....Men pay more in insurance than women....

This is based on what?
History and odds...it may not sit well but it is what it is.
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:00 PM
First Mate

I think that if we are considered "adults" legally at 18 then we shouldn't have any such restrictions whether it be drinking, joining the army, cruising, etc.

Personally I think driving, drinking, etc. should be for those 21 and older and the age a person is considered an "adult" should be changed to 21. Then we also wouldn't have to draft high schoolers, but those out of college.

There are a lot of responsible people (like me) who DON'T want to be round people who drink all night and act like stupid loud idiots and ruin our prevcious vacation time. I think our wishes outweigh those of the idiots. I'm not happy that people can smoke on a ship, I think the only place should be out on the decks in the stern area.

The bigger problem here is a large segment of society that still seems to think that drinking and smoking and getting tan is cool. Most people are wising up, but apparently this intelligence is not spreading quickly enough.