Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Should Carnival require persons under the age of 21 to travel with a parent or legal guardian?
Yes 61 73.49%
No 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM
First Mate

Just FYI, intelligence doesn't spread (don't we wish it would! *L*).

Information spreads, intelligence is something you have or don't have, and wisdom comes with experience.
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to saleaaway
Default age policy

I have to agree whole heartedly with the cruise lines. I haven't been on a Carnival Cruise for years just because of that reason. We happened to be on a cruise ( Sensation )over spring break in March one year. Found out the university of Boston was on the ship. We watched kids being put into the brig, walked down a hall where the bathroom sinks were thrown into a hall. Couldn't get to the pool, beer bongs on deck, girls crying at the pursors desk the second day of the cruise because they had no money left, food fights in the dining room, and the best was kids getting arrested on Grand Cayman for robbing a taxi driver. Came and got them right off the ship.
We overheard multiple kids saying that their parents didn't even know where they were.
The cruise lines needed to crack down on this because they were losing their regular customers.
I know their are good kids out there but unfortunately the others ruined for all.
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Admiral

saleaaway,
You've just provided first hand, the kind of experience that has been referred to.

Now duck!
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
saleaaway,
You've just provided first hand experience that has been referred to.

Now duck!
** (re: "Duck" remark)

My husband and I also wound up on a Spring Break week cruise by sheer accident. It just never occurred to us that it was "that" time of year.

Sorry to say, we consider it the worst cruise we've ever taken with Carnival, and learned a valuable lesson: to always look at the school/college calendars when booking. Even at that, though, our cruise wasn't as bad as the one described earlier (sinks thrown in the hallway???!!??)
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to saleaaway
Default age policy

It was truly as bad as I said, but we are going to give Carnival another chance. I took custody of my three grandkids and want to take them on a cruise next February. I know Carnival has a great kids program and I believe they will have a good time.
Not only that but most everything I've read is that Carnival is much more aware of the drinking issues.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
The cruise lines needed to crack down on this because they were losing their regular customers.
I know their are good kids out there but unfortunately the others ruined for all.
There was a LOT of incidents like this during the 80s and early 90s. which led to numerous problems for all the cruise lines, but especially Carnival. Millions of dollars worth of avertising dollars were wasted, when the Carnival reputation became "frat party central".

They lost alot of money in lost business over the years from this repuation, as well as repair and maintence costs when this was allowed to continue.

They were the first to implement the age policy, but most of the other cruise lines followed suit immediately, not wanting to simply have that problem move to their ships.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:53 PM
First Mate

It truely is a difficult pill to swallow. I have been on cruises where 60 somethings were the most rude and obnoxious individuals you could encounter and the younger cruisers were the most polite you could ask for. That said, there are exceptions to everything and Carnival apparently reserves the right to set their rules, after all they have considerable investment in a ship. I guess we don't have to like the rules just learn to live by them.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's actually not just Carnival either...

Last Christmas on serveral RCI ships (even with age policies in place) they had several incidents where teens and young adults got so hyped/drunk or whatever that they were very destructive, even throwing deck furniture off the ship.

So... even though parents were onboard, due to lack of interest in what their children were doing, things got out of control.

For the next several sailings curfews were put in place (midnight if I recall) for anyone under the age of 21.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Admiral

That is incredible Kuki . On this last cruise of ours, a newly wed couple were on the "Not so newly wed" game. They were given a bottle of champange and just as they got it, the CD asked their ages and they were 19. The CD immediately reclaimed the bottle and gave it to the bride's parents. Good Show!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:08 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
It's actually not just Carnival either...

Last Christmas on serveral RCI ships (even with age policies in place) they had several incidents where teens and young adults got so hyped/drunk or whatever that they were very destructive, even throwing deck furniture off the ship.
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Passenger

the only problem i have with the age limit is that i am 23 and have two kids. To take my two kids on a cruise I have to have my mom go. My kids are 11 months and 5 what trouble can they get into.
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Admiral

No sale.
Kids in a cabin with their over 21 years old parents are welcome.
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Passenger

they said both parent would have to go. I could just take them. but maybe i got someone who didn't know...
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Admiral

If one of the parents does not go he/she has to provide written permission.

My divorced sister had to have her ex provide permission for my nephew.
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Passenger

I do see there reson for that. I will have to ask about that. I will need to get one filled out for my kids.
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Yeoman

Just got back from my first cruise over the spring break season. *sigh* Once again the handful of college aged trouble makers made their mark. There were beer bongs at the pool, buckets of beer in the hot tubs, drunk girls in the hallway on the floor and 6 drunken students left in Mexico.

I think the one that topped it all was a large group booked an event and got an hour in the piano bar. They got so bad the bar staff left the room and had security go in to try to calm them. The students were behind the bar making them selves drinks and placing liquor into a beer bong!!

Now will all that said it was overall a quite cruise minus the few incidents mentioned above. We sat with 4 other couples (BF/GF) at dinner all of who were around the early 20's age. They were all wonderful and we had a great time. It seems that those who travel as a couple are less of a problem than those who travel as a group on spring break.

It was still a great cruise and we are all ready looking to book our next one
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Passenger

The question should be asked - "Do you want to share a room next to someone under 25?"

The answer would be 90% "no"

Walls are very thin on ships.

Teens and young adults don't have much experiance with drinking. To many of them, make way too much noise late at night, and it is why Carnival does not want them.