Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Should Carnival require persons under the age of 21 to travel with a parent or legal guardian?
Yes 61 73.49%
No 22 26.51%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Orlando, Fl.
Posts: 1
Default AGe Policy

Is it just me or does Carnival have a serious problem when it comes to their ridiculous age policy? I am in an unfortunate position, I have always cruised with Carnival and I have been nothing but happy with their service. My position is that I am by definition a "minor" with Carnival, I'm 20 and the person whom I will be traveling with is 23. Carnival refused to let me book with them regardless of my past history with their company and many other factors including a large deposit that I was willing to give. Instead, they informed me that my mother must be present on the cruise for me to go. My mother has Cryoglobulinemia which is a rare blood disease and she is unable to travel with me.

After Carnival learned about her blood disease they only laughed more. I am still in disbelief that they think that they have the right to do this. Regardless, the legality is of this policy is slightly shaky since it really doesn't violate any laws because, the vessel for the most part will not be in US waters. I really want to send a message to Carnival, regardless of money, that when they choose to participated in these discriminatory actions that their will be consequences regardless of the legality of such a policy.
The best suggestion that I have for my self at this point is first of all not to cruise with Carnival, which I have already booked with RCCL, but I still am pursuing further action with Carnival. I was informed by one of their paralegals that Hughes & Fickett v. Carnival Cruise Line established their precedent in such policies. The case does not exist, well at least not in the realm of WestLaw, Lexis Nexis, or Miami Dade Clerk of Court.

My question is does anyone know when these policies came about and why? Any background information into Carnival's age policies or subsequent case law would be extremely appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

The age policy was developed several years ago, after Carnival encountered many problems during "spring break cruises" and damage being done to their ships, and their reputations.

I would double check with RCI, because I'm quite sure they have the same age policy. Anyone under 21, and not married, must have someone 25 or older in the cabin. (on neither line does that have to be a parent).

So it is possible that you could be denied boarding an RCI ship at check in, when your present ID showing you are not 21.

At the moment I think Princess is the only mass market line that does not have this age policy.
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM
EMG's Avatar
EMG EMG is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 303
Default

I think it's a hard pill to swallow because age does not allows dictate the character of a person.
__________________
CCL Valor : September 2013
CCL Breeze : April 2013
RCCL Oasis : September 2012
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Fern's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 5,104
Default

I've wondered about this myself. While I'm well over 21, what happens on your 21st birthday that suddenly makes you behave better? I don't think that the fact that a 21 year old is now officially an "adult" matters to those who are going to behave badly.

And if you are 20 and have a 25 year old in your cabin, what makes either of them behave better? I know many "twenty-something's" who are well behaved, and many older people who are not.

I understand why cruise lines have this policy, but I'd like to know if it's really made a lot of difference in behavior?

Here's RCI's policy:
"Can unaccompanied minors cruise?
Effective July 1, 2005 guests under the age of 21 must be booked in a stateroom with an adult who is 21 years or older. A parent or legal guardian must accompany guests under the age of 18 and must be booked in the same or adjacent stateroom. Acceptable proof will be required. These restrictions may be waived at our discretion where applicable."

So it looks like you are okay with them.
__________________
Fern

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 17
Default

As far as I know, Princess is the only cruiseline that will allow you to travel without a parent or legal guardian when you are under the age of 21. I would make sure that you will be able to sail with RCCL, you don't want any surprises at check-in.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 6
Default Carnival Minor Under 21 Policy :(

I was SOOOO disappointed when I found out that passengers under age 21 were not accepted on Carnival...I was planning to travel with my husband and my two small children, and I was planning on bringing along my sister, who is 17 years old, to help me out with the kids on the cruise. And then, shocker, I found out that I would not be able to bring her along because I will be only 24 years 10 months 10 days old on the cruise I intended to take!!! How incredibly disappointing, considering I will not have an opportunity to take anothe cruise for over a year if I don't take this one
I researched the other cruise lines, and it appears that they all have policies regarding minors stating that as long as they're travelling with someone 21+ they are ok. I don't understand why Carnival is different. I intend on calling their corporate department and speaking to someone about this.
If there's anyone with legal expertise (or just experience) out there, please help me out with this:
If I bring with me a document, "Power of Attorney: Care and Custody of Child or Children" stating that I have the power of attorney for my sister, with the following clause : "(d) To generally do and perform all matters and things, to execute all other instruments of every kind which may be necessary or proper to effectuate all powers hereinabove specifically granted, or any other matter or thing appertaining to the child(ren) of the undersigned, with the same full powers, and to all intents and purposes, with the same validity as the undersigned could, if personally present; and hereby ratifying and confirming whatsoever said Attorney(s)-in-Fact of the undersigned shall and may do, by virtue hereto." will this be sufficient in Carnival's eyes to serve as me being a legal guardian for my sister? Because obviously, Carnival will not deny boarding to my own children, who are 1 and 3, even though I'm not 25!! Please help!!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:45 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 6
Default

Oh and another thing...If there's anyone out there who has somehow gotten on a Carnival Cruise despite this rule, please please please let me know. Ask everyone who's gone on Carnival cruises and has gotten on about how well they actually check this documentation. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM
mehawk's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston aka Space City, Texas, USA
Posts: 9,687
Default

Ok youngsters. Say the same things in regards to being disrespectful of the age policy when you yourselves, have an 18 - 20 year old daughter and she wants to go on a cruise unsupervised.
__________________
Michael

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
adias.angel's Avatar
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Ok youngsters. Say the same things in regards to being disrespectful of the age policy when you yourselves, have an 18 - 20 year old daughter and she wants to go on a cruise unsupervised.
I am one of these 'youngsters' as you call us I don't have a problem with the unsupervised under 21 person not being allowed. This is a keep CCL butt safe from law suits in case of under age drinking. Which I think is a very good move on their part with all the people who fall overboard drunk.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that if you are under 21 then someone 25 has to be with you. If someone who is over the age of 21 is willing to be considered as your guardian, then by all means, allow them to get a room. Carnival removes responsibility from themselves and places it on the 21 or older person.

What I find sad is that if you are between the ages or 18-20 you are old enough to serve our country in military duty, sit on a jury to decide someone else's fate, get married and start a family but you and your GF/BF can't go on a cruise? While I don't think removing the policy totally is the answer, it needs to be revamped. It just seems a little discriminatory to anyone of the Y generation. My 2 cents, Carla
__________________
- Carnival Inspiration 3/3/07 - Grand Cayman & Calica
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
lifeisschool's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 262
Default

The initial question was: Should Carnival require persons under the age of 21 to travel with a parent or legal guardian?

I answered "no" and since I am WELL over the 21 year age, I thought I would explain. If I wanted to take one of my kids' friends or our younger cousins with us, this wouldn't be allowed if Carnival required persons under the age of 21 to ONLY travel with a parent or legal guardian. I think the cruise lines do need to be very careful in their policies, and sometimes it is inconvenient, however they need to cover their butts as adias.angel said and try to please most of the people most of the time.
__________________
Margaret

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
nurseypoo5's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Keller TX
Posts: 688
Default

I'm so sorry your mom is so ill, and im sure you personally are very mature. However, most kids under 21 are not....unfortunatly.

I think its in the best interest of most people to wait till they are 21 to cruise especially if your going to a foriegn country. Just makes sense. I cant help but read about people going overboard and especially women being hurt or worse on foriegn soil when traveling alone.

I would not like my daughter to travel under the age of 21 (she is 22 now) unless she was married. Seriously as a mom i wish no kids could travel outside our country under the age of 21 without some serious parental support.

Perhaps you could save for a few more months and take a really KILLER cruise...Again, its nothing personal, you sound very respectable and i know lots of 26 yr olds who are plain old drunks and jerks. I just wish more younger people were as respectful to other passengers, but i'm sure because a lot havent been its the cruise lines way of trying to keep all the passengers happy and lower liability (and decrease underage drinking issues!)

good luck hon!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 6
Default ??

Ok, yeah, consider me a youngster. However, I am a responsible, 24 year old. I am married, have 3 children of my own and I want to bring my sister who 17 years old to help me watch the kids, and because I will be 1 month and 10 days short of beting 25, I will probably have to book another cruise to get around this.
However, I got this thing called a "power of attorney for care and custody of minor" and this pretty much designates me as my sister's guardian, and I called Carnival, and they said this will be ok as long as I let them know when I make the reservation.
Hopefully this will be sufficient, I will let you know when I get back on Mar 31!!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
nurseypoo5's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Keller TX
Posts: 688
Default

ok, this is definatly a sticky situation!

After reading all responses yup i agree that its A DUMB rule. I totally understand NOT allowing a 20 yr old on board with out someone being 25 in thier party. Atleast one person in thier cabin should be 25 (ofcourse you can just move the 20 yr old to the other cabin once checked in..but you know what i mean)

Its dumb that an adult couldnt take a niece or a childs friend. It is smart however not to allow an 18 yr old to travel with her 21 yr old boyfriend. Two totally different situations.

I'm 42 and should be able to travel with my niece who is 18. I'm an adult. However my 18 yr old neice shouldnt be allowed to travel with my 22 yr old daughter.

Its easy to get notarized letters from parents putting someone else in "charge" of thier children while traveling...ofcourse that someone would be responsible for damage/injury while that child does travel.


The adult 25 and over thing i feel is very fair. Its hard when its a mother of 2, because you have so much life experience. Is your husband over 25? then that should be allowed!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:01 AM
prylwd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
ok, this is definatly a sticky situation!

After reading all responses yup i agree that its A DUMB rule. I totally understand NOT allowing a 20 yr old on board with out someone being 25 in thier party. Atleast one person in thier cabin should be 25 (ofcourse you can just move the 20 yr old to the other cabin once checked in..but you know what i mean)

Its dumb that an adult couldnt take a niece or a childs friend. It is smart however not to allow an 18 yr old to travel with her 21 yr old boyfriend. Two totally different situations.

I'm 42 and should be able to travel with my niece who is 18. I'm an adult. However my 18 yr old neice shouldnt be allowed to travel with my 22 yr old daughter.

Its easy to get notarized letters from parents putting someone else in "charge" of thier children while traveling...ofcourse that someone would be responsible for damage/injury while that child does travel.


The adult 25 and over thing i feel is very fair. Its hard when its a mother of 2, because you have so much life experience. Is your husband over 25? then that should be allowed!
Why should an 18 yr old not be allowed to travel with a 22 year old? Or anyone for that matter? 18 is considered an adult. The ONLY concern is that the person traveling with the 18 yr old would buy alcohol for the younger. But even then even someone over 25 could just as easily buy alcohol for someone under 21.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

I remember being 18 and thinking I wasn't old enough for anything. Oh to be 18 again.

There will be bigger worries in the world than this.

To the person who asked if they really checked. That is one of the reasons they have an age limit.

Don't be to hard on Carnival. They are not only trying to protect themselves, but you as well.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
mehawk's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston aka Space City, Texas, USA
Posts: 9,687
Default

Absolutely Luanne. I remember (vaguely) being 18 and not being able to do this or do that and I was married at the time and had a child! The ones who are bent out of shape will just have to mature and get over it. Their time will come and when it does, they will say the same things the older cruisemates are saying here.
__________________
Michael

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:07 PM
nurseypoo5's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Keller TX
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prylwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
ok, this is definatly a sticky situation!

After reading all responses yup i agree that its A DUMB rule. I totally understand NOT allowing a 20 yr old on board with out someone being 25 in thier party. Atleast one person in thier cabin should be 25 (ofcourse you can just move the 20 yr old to the other cabin once checked in..but you know what i mean)

Its dumb that an adult couldnt take a niece or a childs friend. It is smart however not to allow an 18 yr old to travel with her 21 yr old boyfriend. Two totally different situations.

I'm 42 and should be able to travel with my niece who is 18. I'm an adult. However my 18 yr old neice shouldnt be allowed to travel with my 22 yr old daughter.

Its easy to get notarized letters from parents putting someone else in "charge" of thier children while traveling...ofcourse that someone would be responsible for damage/injury while that child does travel.


The adult 25 and over thing i feel is very fair. Its hard when its a mother of 2, because you have so much life experience. Is your husband over 25? then that should be allowed!
Why should an 18 yr old not be allowed to travel with a 22 year old? Or anyone for that matter? 18 is considered an adult. The ONLY concern is that the person traveling with the 18 yr old would buy alcohol for the younger. But even then even someone over 25 could just as easily buy alcohol for someone under 21.

there is a maturity level that 18 yr olds dont have and a lot of 21 yrs dont either. There are ofcourse very responsible younger people, but the ones that arent have messed it up for the rest, and that might be a good thing.

My 22 yr old as much as i love her isnt that mature and i would hate to think of her being the responsible party in the group.

Maybe i've read to much about people going overboard..something like 25 last year..most never found. Almost always there was alcohol involved. Young people who are just into it for the big drunk binge are accidents waiting to happen. Ship line companies do not want that type of liability. Can't blame them for that!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I remember being 18 and thinking I wasn't old enough for anything. Oh to be 18 again.

There will be bigger worries in the world than this.

To the person who asked if they really checked. That is one of the reasons they have an age limit.

Don't be to hard on Carnival. They are not only trying to protect themselves, but you as well.
Well, the thing is, I'm not being hard on Carnival, I just think they should really relook their age policies.

I know Carnival cannot really make the time to look over each case being pleaded with them, and I don't expect them to change their policies...But think about it!! Their policy also states that the acception to the age rule is if you're married! So obviously, they think if you're married, you're mature enough to have the policy waived for you. So why would I not be mature enough to take care of my 17-year-old sister?

It just does not make sense to me.

Who doesn't agree?
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

You say that you are married. Have you talked to them about and exception?
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
What I find sad is that if you are between the ages or 18-20 you are old enough to serve our country in military duty, sit on a jury to decide someone else's fate, get married and start a family but you and your GF/BF can't go on a cruise?
Gotta say it, because this kind of argument comes up in a lot of things.

IMO (for that that's worth, which isn't much as far as any cruise line is concerned), if someone between the ages of 18-20 wants to be held exempt from the cruiseline's policy based on the above reasoning, they can if they show that they are serving or have served our country in military duty (either currently or honorably discharged) and bring documentation from their county court system that they have served their jury duty within the past year. I believe if you are married, the cruise line already makes an exception.

No problem. If you're old enough -- and actually DO those things -- THEN become exempt. If you just talk about being old enough to do them, but haven't done them.....cruise line's policy trumps yours.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:46 PM
prylwd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Quote:
Originally Posted by prylwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
ok, this is definatly a sticky situation!

After reading all responses yup i agree that its A DUMB rule. I totally understand NOT allowing a 20 yr old on board with out someone being 25 in thier party. Atleast one person in thier cabin should be 25 (ofcourse you can just move the 20 yr old to the other cabin once checked in..but you know what i mean)

Its dumb that an adult couldnt take a niece or a childs friend. It is smart however not to allow an 18 yr old to travel with her 21 yr old boyfriend. Two totally different situations.

I'm 42 and should be able to travel with my niece who is 18. I'm an adult. However my 18 yr old neice shouldnt be allowed to travel with my 22 yr old daughter.

Its easy to get notarized letters from parents putting someone else in "charge" of thier children while traveling...ofcourse that someone would be responsible for damage/injury while that child does travel.


The adult 25 and over thing i feel is very fair. Its hard when its a mother of 2, because you have so much life experience. Is your husband over 25? then that should be allowed!
Why should an 18 yr old not be allowed to travel with a 22 year old? Or anyone for that matter? 18 is considered an adult. The ONLY concern is that the person traveling with the 18 yr old would buy alcohol for the younger. But even then even someone over 25 could just as easily buy alcohol for someone under 21.

there is a maturity level that 18 yr olds dont have and a lot of 21 yrs dont either. There are ofcourse very responsible younger people, but the ones that arent have messed it up for the rest, and that might be a good thing.

My 22 yr old as much as i love her isnt that mature and i would hate to think of her being the responsible party in the group.

Maybe i've read to much about people going overboard..something like 25 last year..most never found. Almost always there was alcohol involved. Young people who are just into it for the big drunk binge are accidents waiting to happen. Ship line companies do not want that type of liability. Can't blame them for that!
I'm sorry but any talk about level of maturity is bullsh1t. This country says that when person turns 18 they are legally considered an adult. If I am forced as a male to register for a draft then I damn well better be able to take a cruise. Sorry to upset u but that is a complete hypocrisy. There is no possible way for a cruise line to take each applicant case for case so I agree that they do need to enforce an age policy however it should be 18. It doesn't affect me as I am over 18 but I have strong views about this. The same argument can be applied for the drinking age but we won't get into that. I just can't understand how one can be expect to risk their life for a country that won't even allow them to have a beer.

In short I we should either lower the drinking age to 18 or raise the legal adult age to 21 (preferably the later). On top of that we should raise the damn driver license age to 18 across the United States.

end RANT
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Welcome to the real world. Sometimes things just seem unfair, until you get older and see things differently. There are rules for everything, and in this country you are allowed to make them. Carnival, I am sure have their reasons.

Luanne
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:39 AM
prylwd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Welcome to the real world. Sometimes things just seem unfair, until you get older and see things differently. There are rules for everything, and in this country you are allowed to make them. Carnival, I am sure have their reasons.

Luanne
Welcome to the real world? Umm ok I guess we live in different worlds huh? I love it how anyone older than me feels his or her opinions are more knowledgeable simply because they have been around longer. I will not "see" things differently as I get older simply because I see things the correct way whether they are accepted or not. Just because many things in life are "unfair" does not mean in anyway that the younger generation should just accept these flaws. If the rules are unfair and simply put "stupid" I will voice my negative opinion every time. Whether it helps to change them or not at least I tried. But spare me the nonsense about growing old will change my views. I fail to see how age will change an such an issue (maybe it is just the fact that it no longer affects you personally so you just accept it). I on the other hand will continue to express my opinion and stand up for what I think is "fair".


* Secondly I do not, and cannot make rules in this country.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

I admire your spunk. Good for you. I also envy you. I wish being young was my problem.

I have young people living in my home. (Kids) They are very much like you, so I understand even better.

The major difference is that I lived in a time when we worried about the other person. Your generation is the me group.

But I disagree about you not seeing a differece when you get older. Heck, if you could see it now, you wouldn't be so young.

Grow strong little one. Always express your views. But, don't limit yourself to what is best for you, but what is best for everyone.

Luanne
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:47 PM
mehawk's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston aka Space City, Texas, USA
Posts: 9,687
Default

prylwd, some of the ideals that you espouse are, already laws. Such as, when you state to raise the legal age of adulthood to 21 years of age, it already is. It just that some people have found "loopholes" in it just as you are asking for. The age to receive your drivers' license IS 18 years of age, and, once more, people have found "loopholes" to get around it. You see, you do have it both ways and just don't recognize it. I am not lecturing here, just pointing out facts.
__________________
Michael

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:02 PM
rinker250's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 2,881
Default

Hmmmm
72% in favor (as I write this post) of the 21 years rule.

Perhaps prylwd is making a case for this rule?

And terri910, you make one of the best points I've heard in quite a while.


Oh, BTW I know a "cruise line" that'll take 18 year olds...


THE UNITED STATES NAVY!
__________________
Dan
Peace through superior firepower.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Fern's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 5,104
Default

Luanne Russo wrote:
Welcome to the real world. Sometimes things just seem unfair, until you get older and see things differently. There are rules for everything, and in this country you are allowed to make them. Carnival, I am sure have their reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prywld
Luanne

Welcome to the real world? Umm ok I guess we live in different worlds huh? I love it how anyone older than me feels his or her opinions are more knowledgeable simply because they have been around longer. I will not "see" things differently as I get older simply because I see things the correct way whether they are accepted or not. Just because many things in life are "unfair" does not mean in anyway that the younger generation should just accept these flaws. If the rules are unfair and simply put "stupid" I will voice my negative opinion every time. Whether it helps to change them or not at least I tried. But spare me the nonsense about growing old will change my views. I fail to see how age will change an such an issue (maybe it is just the fact that it no longer affects you personally so you just accept it). I on the other hand will continue to express my opinion and stand up for what I think is "fair".


* Secondly I do not, and cannot make rules in this country.
Hi prywld,

You were just born too late! You should have been with us in the '60's when the draft was active, and some of us were burning our bras ! Ask your grandparents about it if you haven't already! They'll probably also tell you that life is not fair .

Believe it or not, Luanne is right. You'll see things differently as you get older. I hope we're both still here in ten years so we can discuss it .
__________________
Fern

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM
mehawk's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston aka Space City, Texas, USA
Posts: 9,687
Default

__________________
Michael

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:45 PM
nurseypoo5's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Keller TX
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prylwd

I'm sorry but any talk about level of maturity is bullsh1t. This country says that when person turns 18 they are legally considered an adult. If I am forced as a male to register for a draft then I damn well better be able to take a cruise. Sorry to upset u but that is a complete hypocrisy. There is no possible way for a cruise line to take each applicant case for case so I agree that they do need to enforce an age policy however it should be 18. It doesn't affect me as I am over 18 but I have strong views about this. The same argument can be applied for the drinking age but we won't get into that. I just can't understand how one can be expect to risk their life for a country that won't even allow them to have a beer.

In short I we should either lower the drinking age to 18 or raise the legal adult age to 21 (preferably the later). On top of that we should raise the damn driver license age to 18 across the United States.

end RANT
somehow im not suprised that this turned into some sort of debate over the drinking age...

I do agree with most ehre that say you WILL change your views later in life. Especially when you yourself have some children. Obviously youve been drinking underage. Its nothing new, we all did it. But there is always a time to mature. When that happens, and it hasnt happened to you yet, and hey thats ok, dont expect a 21 yr old to be all that mature anyway, drinking, cruising etc, wont be near as important as family, children, a home, your job, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:21 AM
prylwd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
prylwd, some of the ideals that you espouse are, already laws. Such as, when you state to raise the legal age of adulthood to 21 years of age, it already is. It just that some people have found "loopholes" in it just as you are asking for. The age to receive your drivers' license IS 18 years of age, and, once more, people have found "loopholes" to get around it. You see, you do have it both ways and just don't recognize it. I am not lecturing here, just pointing out facts.
I don't know where you live? Texas I guess? But were I live the legal driving age is 16 and one becomes an adult at age 18. Which is why u have to register for the draft/ military as soon you turn 18.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
21yrs, age, carinval, carnival, cruise, line, lines, loophole, loopholes, policy, rule, stupid

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How strict is the age policy? Loux Royal Caribbean International 1 March 20th, 2010 06:50 AM
Age Policy - non-relation adias.angel Carnival Cruise Lines 10 February 9th, 2007 09:08 AM
age policy vicky336 Royal Caribbean International 10 December 5th, 2006 06:23 PM
carnival age policy pdo Carnival Cruise Lines 2 December 27th, 2005 02:34 PM
Age Policy ElliottSmith Royal Caribbean International 6 December 9th, 2003 08:01 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1