Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Familiar Face

Default Carnival Valor - Good or Bad?

We will be sailing on the Valor in May. Have not been on Carnival in a while,would appreciate anyone's past experiences while on the Valor. Thanx, hope we made a good decision to give Carnival another try.
3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:55 AM
First Mate

Great ship...are you going eastern or western?
Old February 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Familiar Face

Hi,

I was on the Valor in January of 2005, the 4th ever cruise on the ship. I enjoyed the ship overall but was not impressed with the food. Since it might have been a new crew, I'll go easy on them concerning the food. If you're a patriotic American, I think you'll enjoy the ship's theme. I would definitely cruise on the Valor again. Any questions, let me know. I'm cruising on the Inspiration on 2/13.

Jeff
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Familiar Face

Two positve replies,thats a plus. Karyn we will be doing the Western with stops in Belize, Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Cozumel. Thank-you both. I am so ready to go.
1 Celebrity cruise
Old February 10th, 2006, 06:36 PM
First Mate

The Valor is a great ship and the itinery you have choosen is full of variety. Each port offering new and unique activities. I encourage you to get off and enjoy these ports. I would suggest excursions at both Belize and Roatan as there is otherwise little to do at the port.
Belize is well known for its cave tubing...also...the Altun HA Myan ruins..we went by boat up the River Wallace
Roatan...Just beautiful. Great blue water for snorkeling...we rented a cab and toured the island. Shopped...had a beer...walked around..stopped at a beach
Grand Cayman is known for the sting ray city...as well as 7 mle beach to relax at.
Cozumel..there has been quite a bit of damage here...some ships are going to alternate port...please check on the Valor.
Karyn
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Familiar Face

Ronnie Ronnie Ronnie. You have to learn to relax. lol We were just on the Valor on January 8th (western) and really, really enjoyed it. The ship and ports of call are great. You look like an experience cruiser, so go have yourself a good holiday.
Dave
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Yeoman

Default Carnival Valor - good or bad

We went on the Valor last year. Loved the ship and thought the food was great with plenty of variety. Only drawback was the pool. For a ship the size of Valor it should have been twice as big. Specialty restaurant was the best we ever ate in. Have fun, enjoy!

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175
Default ooohhh

ronnie, when are you leaving? we leave for western on valor on 4/30. our cozumel port was changed to costa maya and we got a letter from carnival (through our ta) that starting the first weekend of may, valor is returning to cozumel. now, when the time comes, they may change that, but so far, it looks like you will be in cozumel. happy cruise!!!

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Beginner

Hi,
My family and I were on the Valor in August. It was a great ship and we had a good time while we were on board. THe new terminal in Miami was not open yet and we waited over 2 1/2 hours in the hot sun. It was not very child friendly. We waited the same amount of time to get off the ship as well. The guest on the ship were not very nice. The crew was great. There was also alot of waiting to get off the ship at ports. People were starting to riot. Maybe you would have a better experience if the new terminal is open in Miami. The old terminal is not built to handle that many people. Good luck.
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Familiar Face

chosen 175, we are leaving on May 14th. At the time of booking(Jan.12th) the Valor was scheduled to return to Cozumel that week but I read on another cruise web-site that it will now be the 28th before returning to Cozumel. It read that Carnival will be replacing Cozumel with Costa-Maya. Hopefuly that will change again as I'm not to thrilled with Costa-Maya. Been there done the ruins nothing else much to do.
Nerak, I didn't know a new cruise terminal was being built. I haven't been out of Miami in a while, usually go out of Ft.Lauderdale. I hope it will be completed when we cruise in May. Thanx everyone for your comments.
1 Celebrity cruise
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Ronnie, if you do go to Costa Maya, take a cab to the beach at Majahual. We wanted to do that couple of weeks ago, but we had rain. Our friends have been to Majahual in December and they liked the beach. There are snorkel facilities, I thought jetskies, a bar, and you can have a 45 minute massage for $20!!!! at the beach.
I agree with you that Costa Maya is not that special. We thought the prizes at the shopping mall were gone up too high compared to 3 years ago.

Have a great time, whereever you go, happy sailing! The Valor is a great ship.

Read and post cruise reviews

Old February 12th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones and I just booked the Valor for the 4/23 sailing. We too, rarely choose Carnival, but are due to give it another go. Frankly, the only problems I usually have with Carnival, are the fellow passengers, who are sometimes rude, crude and just nasty! The entertainment is always a cut above, and the ship above average. Food is always O.K., but not outstanding, but overall, a great cruise for the money. Anyway, we just hope for the best, ignore the Condo Commandos who are usually there, and have a great time.
See you aboard,
Ken
Old February 14th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Familiar Face

I was on the Valor in the beginning of Dec. and the terminal in Miami looked pretty new. We got dropped off right in front of the building, gave our luggage to one of the Carnival people, then went right into the building. We went right up to the counter (the line moved pretty fast) and as we stood waiting to go through security they were handing out our sign and sail cards. If you get to the terminal early enough you'll be waiting inside the building (we couldn't get on the ship the time we were supposed to because Customs hadn't cleared it). It was pretty clean inside so it wasn't too bad of a wait.
Happy Cruising!
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Captain

its not the ship that makes it good or bad trip it how you make it
if you had fun and ejoyed it you had a good trip if you check on the things that go wrong or tell yourself your not going to have a good time
you have a bad trip its up to you if your going have a good or bad trip
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Beginner

Glad to hear some good stuff about the Valor...this is our 8th cruise, 4th with Carnival...we are booked the Eastern Caribbean on May 7th....We enjoy the Eastern more than the Western...Last cruise we stopped at Belize and were horrified at the city...do not stay in the city if you stop at Belize ever....stay on the ship or do the trips. the only problem with the tours is that they ususally have to drive you 1-2 hrs inland to see anything nice..we enjoy St. Martin and St. Thomas and are looking forward to a newer ship...have done the Triumph, Sensation, Inspiration. Always a good time...it's what you make it....I'm counting the days...
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Skymaster..... We are also on the Valor April 23...... There are 13 in our group this trip. We will do our best to not be rude to you! hehehe Just kidding. Have a great cruise. We may see each other and not even know it... We all love Carnival a lot. We have a good time. Our age of our group is quite spread out...... Ages 21 to 67yrs old. All realated and out to have a great time. Happy cruising to all......
Old February 17th, 2006, 10:47 PM
First Mate

Ronnie - we traveled on the Valor on the eastern leg last year and are returning for the wesrtern leg April 30 - we had a great time last year.

Mary

Hi Chosen - we'll be seeing you on the 29th or 30th - right? Pinkies Reunion
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175
Default yyyyup!

hey mary!
yeah, i'll be there.... with bells on, as my grandmother used to say. how many more days??

-lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Default Cabin 1107

We will be sailing on the Valor in May. Anyone ever stayed in Cat 6E - cabin 1107? It's a family size outside cabin. Wondering if we should upgrade?
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:29 AM
First Mate

Default Star date 4/30

Chosen - As of today (2/28) we have 61 days until we cruise - but less until we meet.

Can't wait

Mary