Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival Victory - Questions

We were debating sailing with either Princess or Carnvial. We have sailed with Princess before, and were quite happy with the results. We wanted to sail with Carnival because we

1. wanted to try Carnival
2. left out of Miami rather than Fort Lauderdale which was better for us
3. was cheaper
4. has a reputation for having good pizza, a deli station, a chinese buffet - all which I consider to be necessary health foods.

We decided to go with Carnival because the Carnival representative stated that she could give us an additional discount as well as upgrading us to a better inside cabin as a result of our prior Princess cruises.

Question - what should we expect on the Carnival Victory? We have heard that the cabins are somewhat noisy - so we will be bringing earplugs. I don't mind the hairy chest contests etc - I don't even mind people being drunk so long as they don't throw up on me. All I want is a good cruise - decent food, and a chance to sleep from midnight to about 6am.

What are my chances of getting the above?

Thanks for your responses
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I never had any problem with noisey cabins on the Victory. When we sailed her we had service issues in the dining room. But there were certainly no gangs of drunks running amok on the ship, tossing their cookies on people.

Expect a more relaxed atmosphere onboard, and expect to be surprised at the quality of the overall cruise experience... based on your expressed expectations.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cabins on Victory

Thank you for your response Kuki.

My concerns stem from this very website - where Ms. Campbell indicated in her review that this class of ship has poor sound insulation between cabins. In addition, some individuals have written personal reviews and described noise in the halls at all hours of the evening with their inability to get Carnival to respond.

As to drunks throwing cookies - please note my favorite cookies are Oreos.
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

Ess, we sailed the Victory 2 years ago and we had no trouble with any noise in our cabin. To be on the safe side during the night, I always have earplugs. There are always passengers walking up and down your deck, one more loudly then the other.
If you use earplugs, you will sleep like a baby, rocking on the motion of the sea!

The Victory is a beautiful ship, we had great service two years ago and the deli, hmmmmmmmmmm, very good. The chinese is always busy, so you can understand their food must be good.

Which cruise you choose, have a great one!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old February 17th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to tina1114 Send a message via Yahoo to tina1114

Ess,

Sailed on Victory this past December 18-25. Our room was on the Lido deck and I expecting noise. The only thing we heard was the sound of the ocean from the open balcony door.

I am a night owl but didn't experience any problems with intoxicated people falling down. The only exception was in Costa Maya we did the Jungle Beach Break excursion and it included free drinks. The last bus back was full of people who had way too much fun.

You will enjoy the Victory. She is a beautiful ship. I am hoping to go on again this summer to visit crew that I met during my trip. Not sure if I wanna do Bahamas or New England/Canada.

Enjoy your trip!
Old February 18th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Passenger

Default You will enjoy the Victory

Wife and I was on the Victory 12/18-25/05 Lido deck and throughly enjoyed it. Slight hickup in the dining room with service the first night, but after that everything was perfect.
Tom
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Beginner

My DH, 2 sons,& I sailed on Carnival Victory to Nova Scotia 2 yrs. ago. We had an outside cabin & didn't have any trouble W/ noise. Yes, they refer to it as THE PARTY SHIP but, I didn't notice anyone drunk. There was lots for my teen & pre-teen to do. The food was excellent!! I hope to cruise Carnival again in the future. 8)
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla
Default YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Hi ESS I went on my first cruise with my hubbie this past Oct 30th on the Victory to the Eastern Carribean. WE LOVED IT! I did not see any drunks...well I was tipsy here and there but everyone was behaved! We WERE in an ocean view room, then got moved to a BLACONY half way through because it was our honeymoon and we had a gurantee room..sooo that was awesome to expierence both. NEITHER room was noisy! Besides...we were so pooped by the end of the night we wouldn t have heard a 8 piece band in the next room if they were playing! The ship is beautiful and only thing I commented on was that i thought they would have had more of a different selection at the buffets..but hey it was all good. You will love it...oh man the cruise directors name just slipped my mind..hmmmm I am overtired writing this..but he was awesomeeeeee..very funny and friendly. Made it a great time. Hope you get to expierence the Carnival way I am going on the Fascination in March with my family so we love it@
Old February 20th, 2006, 12:20 PM
First Mate

i dont think it matters what ship you are on, there are going to be passengers coming and going at all times of the day and night in the hallways. and every ship sells alcholol, so comsumption is being had by alot of passengers on even the more expensive cruise lines. i love the carnival ships and have never had any bad noise in the cabin or been annoyed by anyone who has had too much to drink. i cant wait to go on the victory for the first time in sept.
Old February 20th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Passenger

Joann....the CD on the Victory when we were on it in December was Dana Hodson, short dark haired guy. Is this the one you were trying to recall his name, very funny guy.
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla
Default YESSSS!

Dana was his name awesome guy! Loved watching him on stage making everyone laugh. He really also seemed like he really cared about you having a great expierence on the ship. He is very great at his job.
You'll love him
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibarn83
My DH, 2 sons,& I sailed on Carnival Victory to Nova Scotia 2 yrs. ago. We had an outside cabin & didn't have any trouble W/ noise. Yes, they refer to it as THE PARTY SHIP but, I didn't notice anyone drunk. There was lots for my teen & pre-teen to do. The food was excellent!! I hope to cruise Carnival again in the future. 8)
i just posted a question about the formal nights for this cruise. do you remember what night the first formal night was on. we have late seating and if it is at one of our first ports--boston or portland , it will make a difference on our port schedule what to do. thanks for any reply.
Old March 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cruising on the Victory

Thanks for all your responses.
We are looking forward to our cruise on the Victory. I hope the deli and the pizza live up to their reputations

ESS
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

Love the Deli - really good pastrami on rye
You have to ask for Cheese and mustard if you want it on your sandwhich. But it is very good.

didn't care much for the chinese food station.

Of course the pizza is devine. Order the goat cheese and mushroom.
worth the 10 minute wait - especially after a long night of dancing!!
Ceasar salads are also wonderful.

Loved it so much I am back on Victory in November 2006!

happy sailing
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002