Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Passenger

Default Alcohol - once and for all

Okay, I am tired of reading from some that you have to sneak a bottle of liquor in a scope bottle and then others say they don't mind a bit if you have a bottle. No, I am not an alcoholic - but if I can bring two bottles of my own rum for under 30 dollars as opposed to paying for all of the mixed drinks or spending 40 dollar a bottle for their price - I would rather bring my own and use that money for tips or whatever else. Can someone tell me the real scoop on bringing in two bottles of rum? Should I disquise them or not? Also - my mom wants to bring her own beer and a fold down cooler to keep in our room and keep the beer cold. anyone with expert fool proof advice?? Thanks in advance!

Leaving on the Sensation to Bahamas 4/1/06
Carnival Eastern Carribean 9/01
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Maybe you guys can help me too, I'm looking to take my BBQ grill on board, I figure we'll have a cookout on one of the aft balconies. My question is can I just take it on or do I have to disguise it?

I couldn't help myself
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Passenger

I have cruised Carnival 3 times and have brought bottles of Barcardi and Crown Royal aboard both times. I just wrapped the bottles in towels for cushion and I have had no problems whatsoever!!! I think if you do something similar you will not have a problem. Same goes for the beer and the cooler. When I cruise on 2/23 I will be doing it once again.!!

As far as bringing a grill......dude, that is not going to happen. If you happen to get it past security, I am sure that they will get a wif of the grill on board and sieze it!!
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Passenger

kaubert3 you rock - I can tell we would cruise in the same fashion! Thanks, that is just what we are going to do. Can't wait! as far as the grill - a george foreman might work
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Admiral

you will get lots of opinions here but for the CORRECT and difinitive answer to your question, go to Carnival's web site and see what the cruise line has in print as its official policy.
If you hide your booze in eitheryour checked baggage or your carry-on you are breaking the policy and essentially "smuggling" it on board. The price of an average cocktail on the ship is no more than what you would pay for it back home at a nice restaurant or bar. Not to mention the possibility of breakage and ruining all your clothes.
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Just make sure it's in your checked luggage, not your carryon stuff. They go through that pretty good. You should have no problems if it's cushioned well, maybe with some bubble wrap? Worked for me last time.
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm in the bar business, so over the years I've certainly seen my share of people drinking. But... I am amazed how much of a concern there is over making sure you can get enough alcohol onboard

If all of you could just do me a favor and move up I could retire much earlier
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:22 PM
First Mate

We have also done the towel wrap technique and it seemed to work with no problems. I was a little scared that the bottle might break, but it didn't.

We're not heavy drinkers so we had some left over that we simply left in the cable when we got back to port.

We're cruising on 3/6/2006 and I think the bottle wrap will be making another guest appearance..
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
First Mate

Once and For All....
Smuggling, by any means is not allowed. Can you do it? Perhaps. Should you do it? No!
I enjoy a beverage or two while cruising and I have purchased a few of the small bottles at the duty free shop at the ports and brought it on board in my bag of other souviners. I did not "hide" it, and frankly only once actually drank any of it while on board.
Would any of you consider smuggling booze into a bar on land? If not, then why make such a big deal out of paying $4.50 for a drink at sea?
If yes, then we probably need to have a serious discussion with an A.A. sponsor.
It is just seven days at sea folks, it is not like you will never get to enjoy another drink in your life.
Pay the ships price and you don't have to have so much worry.
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:07 PM
First Mate

Reverends drink alcohol? From personal experience, the difference between $4.50 a drink x2 x2an hour x5 hours a night x5 nights is a difference of about $350 dollars from if we didn't bring our own alcohol. If it will make you feel any better, you can paypal me $450 prior to my cruise and we'll promise not to try and bring our own.
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM
First Mate

EMG, all things in moderation. I forget you see, that others may indulge at a faster rate than I.
At the rate you described may I suggest instaed of the old pringles can trick you put booze in a I.V. bag. (Tell them it is for medical purposes only.)
By the way, don't you think that more reverends could use a drink?
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am going on my 1st cruise in April. While I wouldn't bring my own booze to a bar, I would to my hotel room. I intend to bring some rum for consumption in my cabin, same as I would in a private hotel room. When I am in public areas, I will buy their drinks. I also plan to bring a couple of bottles of sparking in my carry-on too, one for cast off from Miami, and one for our anniversary. If that bothers anyone else, too dam bad. I think some people like to give others grief over this issue so they can consider themselves morally superior. They remind me of Dana Carvey on SNL as the church lady. Maybe there should be a special lounge on board for them, so they can do the superior dance, and drink carnival booze only. No one would put up with a hotel saying the only alcohol you could consume in your hotel room is theirs, from the mini bar, so how do cruise line get away with it?
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Keep the posts coming. This is really getting interesting. You all have good points in your own right. Just do your own thing and let it be. If you get busted which I doubt you will, WHO CARES. The ship will not pay much attention in my opinion considering the fact that if you are bringing your own booze, there is a REAL GOOD CHANCE that you will be drinking theirs to. Makes sense hah.
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

I just want to say," Thanks guy's for the laugh " ! After a hard day at work, its good to come home and have a good laugh

Keep them coming;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Admiral

I understand that some people want to bring their own liquor on board to save money, but we just like a bottle in the cabin for a before dinner drink while getting dressed. We would be more than happy to buy it from the ship (we did on our last NCL cruise). We still spend plenty at the bars onboard.

I don't think EMG's estimate is too much for being on vacation. On a sea day we generally have one or two Bloody Mary specials, a couple of frou-frou drinks in the afternoon, and several "serious" drinks in the evening.

That's seven or eight drinks a day each-we just spread it out! Do you think we need AA? Or a bank loan !

, ReverendJeff! I know some clergy who could use a nice drink or two!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Isn't that what the drink of the day and happy hours are for? Cheap-o's like us?
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Passenger

unfortunately the " drink of the day" usually is something that you need 5 of to feel a buzz. If the drink of the day consisted of Crown on the rocks....count me in..until then I'm bringing my own drinkie drink!!!
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Default friends of Bill W. ?

Ok while not intending to be mean or anything, but for the life of me I just can't understand why some people are so worried about booze that they would go to great lengths to smuggle it on board. On board there are plenty of places to purchase a cocktail, or glass of beer or wine. Why would someone spend 1000$ for a cruise and 500$ for airfair but then not have the money for a bar drink? STRANGE

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
I understand that some people want to bring their own liquor on board to save money, but we just like a bottle in the cabin for a before dinner drink while getting dressed. We would be more than happy to buy it from the ship (we did on our last NCL cruise). We still spend plenty at the bars onboard.

I don't think EMG's estimate is too much for being on vacation. On a sea day we generally have one or two Bloody Mary specials, a couple of frou-frou drinks in the afternoon, and several "serious" drinks in the evening.

That's seven or eight drinks a day each-we just spread it out! Do you think we need AA? Or a bank loan !

You can have bottles of liquor in your cabin that you buy from the ship on Carnival ships. You just have to call ahead and order it from the Bon Voyage department. One litre bottles start at $40. Beer is $4 per bottle.

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern

You can have bottles of liquor in your cabin that you buy from the ship on Carnival ships. You just have to call ahead and order it from the Bon Voyage department. One litre bottles start at $40. Beer is $4 per bottle.
Or you can bring your own for a lot less $$$. It's not about having the money, it's about not wasting it for over priced booze. Might leave me a little extra for tips. I would never pay for mini bar prices in a hotel, and I'm not going to payt $40 per litre on ship when I can get it for 20 at the duty free shop on my way to miami, even though 1 litre will do me for the week.
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
First Mate

I am unaware of any hotel having a policy against bringing booze to your room. The ship does have such a policy. For me, that is what it comes down to. Same thing for Formal Night, why complain? If you went to a country club you would expect a dress code, why not on a ship?

If you want to sneak booze on board because it is that important to you, no matter your reason, God Bless You. Go for it!
Just be aware of the policy.

Someone please help me to understand what it is about cruising that brings out the rebel in all of us.
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:27 AM
First Mate

I don't think discussing difference in opinions is cause to be labeled a rebel. I think everyone has valid points and I personally do not eat in the dining room on formal night; for us it's just too much hassle, we're on vacation to have fun, not get all dressed up to go eat dinner.
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG
I don't think discussing difference in opinions is cause to be labeled a rebel. I think everyone has valid points and I personally do not eat in the dining room on formal night; for us it's just too much hassle, we're on vacation to have fun, not get all dressed up to go eat dinner.
EMG, I said; "the rebel in all of us."
I have labeled myself as well. The discussion does not make us rebels.

This topic has actually given me many laughs over the past few days. Next time I sail I will be sure to let everyone know when and where. I would like to have a drink onboard and share more laughs. Yes, I will furnish the booze. That is, if I can ever figure out how to make bath tub gin in those little showers.
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Passenger

Well I guess I got the answer I was looking for! I will be smuggling two bottles of rum in my check in luggage. Glad to also read I am not the only one that doesn't want to pay to drink 10 drinks/day at 5 bucks each too!
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

we also bring our own liquor on board but we buy the plastic bottles instead of glass, our room steward on our last cruise even kept my burbon on ice the entire time, it might have been the 20 bucks i slipped her when we first met but never the less we had our liquor sitting on the counter in our room the entire cruise no problem.