Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Default First time cruise (honeymoon) Any tips?

Hi everyone, my fiancee and I are getting married in October 2006 and for our Honeymoon we are going on the Wester Carribean cruise out of Tampa on the Inspiration. Since this is the first cruise and it's such a special event my parents got us a penthouse stateroom.

I have read a lot of reviews on cruises, the inspiration, etc and really had some questions I have not seen answered yet and was hoping some of you experienced cruisers can offer some assistance with my questions below.

#1. Is there Air conditioning on board? I have read yes and it is cold, is it adjustable in the rooms or is it always "on?"

#2. Has anyone stayed in a penthouse before? How big is the jacuzzi? Are there plenty of electrical outlets? Any other comments you want to share?

#3. Fountain fun card, is it really worth it? We will be on a 5 day cruise and I drink a lot of soda, but if other items are available for free I would probably drink those. What all is complementary and what do you have to pay for in terms of drinks?

#4. Internet on board. We read that it's like 75 cents a minute but I saw someone say they bought unlimited for $100. We wanted to create a honeymoon page that family and friends could go to, where we would have pictures and a little blog while on the cruise. Has anyone tried this and if so how well did it work for you?

#5. Tipping, should I prepay the tipping or should I have the tipping removed from sign and sail once onboard and handle tipping via cash in envelopes that I give out depending on service? What is the best way of handling this? Personally like the maitre 'd (?) I don't know why I would tip them if they don't personally assist me on the cruise. But I'm open to suggestions.

I guess that is it for now, just general feedback and answers to these questions would be excellent! We leave in October so we are over 200 days away but are very excited!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Passenger

Howdy!!! Congratulations on getting married. I will respond to the ones that I feel I can answer best.

#1. Is there Air conditioning on board? I have read yes and it is cold, is it adjustable in the rooms or is it always "on?"

Yes the airconditioning CAN be cold at times, but it is a welcomed feeling after being out in the heat for so long. If I remeber correctly each room does have its own thermostat.

#3. Fountain fun card, is it really worth it? We will be on a 5 day cruise and I drink a lot of soda, but if other items are available for free I would probably drink those. What all is complementary and what do you have to pay for in terms of drinks?

I personally think it is a waste. You can save so much money if you just bring your own drinks. You can put them in your suitcase and carry them that way. If you do that and get canned drinks make sure they are protected good because they get bust.

#4. Internet on board. We read that it's like 75 cents a minute but I saw someone say they bought unlimited for $100. We wanted to create a honeymoon page that family and friends could go to, where we would have pictures and a little blog while on the cruise. Has anyone tried this and if so how well did it work for you?

A webpage is a good idea, but are you really going to have time to update it every day? You may say yes now, but once you get there, you might change your mind. There is always alot to do and you might forget to update the site. It's your honeymoon, and you don't have to feel like you need to keep your family informed....it's you honeymoon so they know what you will be doing!!!

#5. Tipping, should I prepay the tipping or should I have the tipping removed from sign and sail once onboard and handle tipping via cash in envelopes that I give out depending on service? What is the best way of handling this? Personally like the maitre 'd (?) I don't know why I would tip them if they don't personally assist me on the cruise. But I'm open to suggestions.

Don't prepay tipping. If you do it can't be adjusted at the end. As far as taking it ALL off.....I'm for that. I don't think they should be bale to automatically charge your account...even if you can adjust it up or down. I'm not saying yes, take it all off, but I do think that you should not prepay.

Some other pointers:

I'm not sure what type of camera and computer you have, but here is what I did on my last cruise:
My last cruise was also my first. Being a photo geek I looooove taking pictures, so I knew that this would be no different....I had never been on a cruise before, much less out of the country! When I got my camera (Kodak easyshare) I uploaded the prgram to my laptop. My husband let me take my laptop on the cruise. I brought all cables for it, my camera dock, all of its cables and I set it up in my room. I would take as many pictures as I wanted and if it got full before the end of the day I uploaded them to my computer. Then I was able to clear them off the camera and start all over again. I always made sure I uploaded all pictures before I went to bed so I could have an empty camera. I was so lad I could bring all of my electronic goodies. By the time I was done I had taken over 550 pictures!!!

If all rooms are alike, then you only have one outlet...so bring a surge protecter (it has more plugs then an extension cord).

Have a FABULOUS time and cherish this wonderful time. I would give anything to go back and relive our honeymoon. God Bless!

Carnival Liberty February 2008

Carnival Celebration '07
Carnival Valor '06
Carnival Holiday '05
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Admiral

I haven't been in the penthouse suite on the Inspiration but I was in the penthouse suite on the Fantasy. The jacuzzi IS NOT big enough for two. (unless you and your fiance are very petite and flexible)

We brought our own water and soda on in a carry on. No problems at all. We bought the soda in plastic bottles. The iced tea, lemonade, coffee and tea were available free all day.

The airconditioner is adjustable with a knob on the vent itself.

We did have the tips put on our sail and sign card and then gave extra to those who deserved it. We felt unless we were treated very poorly, the staff deserved something for taking care of us. We were treated very well by everyone on board. The only extra tip we gave was to our cabin steward and waitstaff.

Sorry if these are out of order but I assumed since you will be on your honeymoon the jacuzzi was an important question.

Follow this link for pictures of the penthouse suite on the Inspiration. Click on Cat. 12 for cabin photos.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Ca...nspiration.htm

Congratulations.
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:03 AM
First Mate

8) Dear Jikan11,
Best Wishes on your upcoming wedding.
#1 Air conditioning: You will have 2-3 adjustable vents in your
stateroom. As far as the dining room and lounges, I always
have a sweater. Sometimes, it is a little too cool.
#2 Penthouse suite: I have stayed in the PH on the Sensation, a
sister ship to Inspiration. The jacuzzi tub is big enough for 1
person. There are not many outlets. 1 or 2. Be sure to take
a power strip for more plug ins and a bunge cord to help hold
the balcony door open.
#3 I take my soda along with me. 20 oz bottles in my suitecase
works fine. Water, juice, coffee, tea, lemonade are free.
You can also purchase soda while in port.
#4 I have not used the internet while on board. Carnivals website
has information on this.
#5 Tipping: I just have them put on my sail and sign card. If
someone deserves more, I give it to them personally. As far
as the Maitre'd goes, if he stops by our table more than once
during the cruise or assists us with table reassignment, we
will tip him at the end of the cruise. We had one Maitre'd
get really rude, so we did not tip.
#6 My comments: Take along a roll of duct tape. Sounds crazy
but you can use it to repair torn luggage, makes a great strapless
bra, and you may find other uses. the power strip and bunge
cords are musts. Also, take advantage of free room service. All
you have to do is tip ( usually $2-3). Carnival has a nice room
service menu. We have a picnic on the balcony or bed.
I have cruised 6 times and leave in 9 days for another Carnival
fun cruise. If you have any questions, I am happy to help.
You can email me or I will check this thread.
Again, Congratulations to you and your intended.
Happy Sailing...................
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingbears
8)

#6 My comments: Take along a roll of duct tape. Sounds crazy
but you can use it to repair torn luggage, makes a great strapless
bra, and you may find other uses. the power strip and bunge
cords are musts. .........

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! It DOES make a great strapless bra. I used its cousin, masking tape, on my wedding day. I left my pasty bra at home and had to think fast. It hurts getting it off, but it does work!!!

Carnival Liberty February 2008

Carnival Celebration '07
Carnival Valor '06
Carnival Holiday '05