Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cell phone use during cruise

Call me crazy but I need to know if I will be able to use my cell phone at any point during our criuse. My grown daughter who lives in another state and I talk every single day. I would like to phone her at least a couple of times while on the cruise. I've heard it's quite expensive to call and I know there is no cell phone reception out on the sea, what about the ports? Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

For a definitive answer you will need to talk to your cell provider. I have Verizon Wireless and have service in all mainland U.S. ports and all the Alaska and Hawaiian ports. I also had service in St. Thomas, and St. Johns.

You may well have service in Puerto Rico and get a signal in other parts of the Caribbean but be prepared to pay a very high roaming charge or enter a credit card number in order to gain access to the network.

If you have a GSM or worldwide phone, your options may be greater but you should still contact your cell provider.

There are Satellite Phone providers that you can rent from but these are pricey but less expensive than the ships phone charges, if you are planning on multiple calls. IF you have to stay in touch.

There are also Internet cafés on the ship and in almost all ports. This, I feel is the BEST alternative, especially the port Internet cafés. You can exchange information via email. It isn't real time but you can stay in touch at a fraction of the cost.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I carry my cell phone EVERYWHERE and get on the internet many times a day - BUT - I tell my work, friends and grown children that do not come with me that I will see and talk to them WHEN I GET BACK. I do not use the cell - do not use the internet because if something would happen (dog died, car wreck, illness) it would ruin the vacation we are on. It can wait until we get back! Trust me, the first thing I do do when we pull into port on the last day is make phone calls. I have a 16 year old dog that we board and I just know one day I am going to get the word! Whatever happens - can wait 7 days (or less) until we get back. Everyone understands that. :-) Besides, everyone also knows where I am and if something really needed to be brought to my attention (death in family, etc) they would find me!
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

After my father almost dying on Christmas Day, I thank god for cell phones and being able to get to him. Yes certain things ( like god forbid my bird died) can wait till I get back...BUT if something happened to one of my family or friends, they know what ship I am on etc. and I made it a point to check my email every couple days on the ship.
Anyhow..I have Cingular and it worked great when I went to the Eastern Carribean..WHILE the ship was moving at sea we were near puerto rico and the dang phone worked. Lol...It depends on what carrier you have and where you are going. Good Luck!
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla
Default p.s. Cheryl

If someone I cared about was in a car wreck...i would certainly wanna know. Cruise comes second.
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:05 AM
Passenger

My husband and I have Tracfones. We brought our phone to Bermuda with us and had excellent reception. At sea we couldn't use it but on the island we could. It was well worth it. For $30 you get 100 mins. Because it was roaming, you used 4 mins for every 1 min you talked. I'm sorry but that's alot better then $7.00 a min on the ship. In three weeks we are going on the Liberty without our kids. Let me tell ya, that phone will be with me at all times. Good Luck!!
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:24 AM
Admiral

We have Sprint and only called when at port in St. Thomas and San Juan.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 21st, 2006, 06:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks. I have Sprint also. I am going to call them to see what kind of service I will have at the ports. Although my kids are grown. I still like keeping in touch often. They'll want to know how much fun I'm having and I don't consider a call from them a distraction even though this is "our" time for my husband and I. One or 2 calls should be enough to carry me through . I know I know......I need to cut those apron strings!!!
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:40 AM
Admiral

I have Sprint also. I was able to call from Puerto Rico, St. Thomas Nassau and Flordia for no roaming fees, I also used the phone at sea when we were leaving Flordia but still close. I did not use it in the Dominican Republic as I would have had to pay roaming fees there. I have free long distance so this helped as well. I think you will will be fine, worse comes to worse you can e mail from the ship as well but it's costly, but who wants to hunt for an internet cafe when your in port for only a few hours.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Admiral

We didn't have any problems with roaming when we called. I never tried to phone from Barbados but they have cell phones there as well. The only place I didn't see stuff was in Dominica.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going to eastern caribbean may 13 and after reading this post I decided to try my cellphone and see if I could call st. Thomas and it worked. I went on the Virgin Island web page got the phone number of banana tree grill and the call went right in to it. So when we go there I should be able to call back to Georgia from st.thomas right?
I use virgin mobile,I looked up the zipcode on the area available site and it said it had service. Man that is great if I can just call back home from there
Thanks for the great idea I got from this post

Georgia girl
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:55 PM
Admiral

The easiest (and often cheapest) thing to do is call from one of the many phone centers you will find in almost all ports. Calls are fairly cheap and you know ahead of time how much you are paying.

When you use your cell phone, the local roaming charges apply and you have no way of knowing how much they will run - until you get your bill!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to travisb85

If you have cingular call customer service and get them to put international roaming on your phone and that will lower the rate you were to pay if you didn't have it on it. this is free. there is also a discounted pln through cingular for 3.99 a month and you pay around half of what you would normally pay. there is one carnival cruise ship that has a cell tower on it and i think it is the carnival triumph. And when i went to Road town and st tomas i had reception.
Old March 10th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Passenger

Be Aware!!! We were in Nassua (not sure about the spelling) anyway we looked down at our phone and thought wow we have service. We had all full bars. Well, I said, "lets call our son, we have service". B-I-G mistake. Nowhere on our phone did it say rome So, we talked for sometime. But when we got home just that certain phone call cost us over $200.00. Yep! $200.00. I called Cingular and they said I was picking up somekind of service from a third party and boy was I billed a high cost.
Now when I leave the port, I shut off the phones. I would only use the phone for emergency... Debbie from Missouri
Old March 10th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Admiral

We collect our children's cell phones,and leave them in the SUV before we get out to board the ship.My kids gave me a BIG surprise once,and only once.We only take one cell phone,and it is ONLY for an emergency.Never had to use it,just peace of mind knowing it is in the safe though if we needed it.
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Passenger

just got off the Conquest and they have a satalite tower on this ship. Had cell service all the time. as far as cost don't know. only made a few calls and have not received my bill yet. i use cingular. hope not hit with 200.00 but do think it will be higher than most roaming charges.
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Different carriers have different ways of telling if you are roaming or not.

Before I went on my last cruise, I called Alltell directly and asked them about calls from ports in the eastern Caribbean. The reresetative told me as long as I had a blinking triangle I was okay.

We called our kids from Puerto Rico (had the blinking triangle) and when we got the bill there were no roaming charges, but there was a few dollars worth of long distance. I called Alltell and they tremoved the long distance charges.

Chris

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cell Phone

Cell phones do not work while you are at sea, I know I tried it. Perhaps they will work on the islands? I don't know if they have towers or cells. Have you seen the commercial where the fellow is running around saying "Can you hear me now?" That was me in real life before the cell phone systems were enabled in my state.
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Passenger

If you sail on the Conquest you will have cell service at all times. On sea days or in Port. They have a satalite tower now so no more running and saying "can you hear me now" cuz they will on the Conquest.