Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Familiar Face

Default Tarpon springs

Can anyone tell me how far is the port from tarpon springs? We are traveling with my aunt who was born and raised there and she would like to go back and see her home, she would also like to visit the gravesite. Thanks. Also if anyone has any great ideas for a hotel that too would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day and happy cruising.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Admiral

Depends on what port you are departing from. Tarpon Springs is about 20 minutes drive or more (depends on traffic) to Clearwater, a bit farther is Tampa. If it's Port Canaveral or Ft. Lauderdale or Miami you would have to drive across the state. Do a map quest to find out exactly and estimate driving time. My sister has a place in Tarpon it's a nice sleepy area, beautiful beaches nearby that are never crowded.
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Yep, Tarpon Springs is a really great place to visit. It's predominately Greek, and even has sponge divers there, quaint shops and really good restaurants. I think you'll find it to be 30 miles or so to the port in Tampa. I'd plan on 45 mins or so to drive it, depending on the time of day, and the traffic.
There are lots of great Hotels, Motels in the Tampa, Clearwater area. I really can't recommend one but you might try something in the "West Shore" area. It's central to most everything, very close to the airport if you're flying in, and great shopping and restaurants close by.
Have a great time while here in our area.
Ken
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Familiar Face

Default Thanks for the info on Tarpon Springs

Thanks for replying. You are correct, Tarpon is mostly greek. My mother was born in greece and reaised in Tarpon. My grandfather was a sponger. We are wondering if a reataurant named Pappas is still there. My grand father used to build model boats in his spare time and they used to be displayed in there. We can't wait to end our no doubt what will be a wonderful cruise will a little trip back to the place we have so many fond memories of. It no doubt has changed dramatically but hopefully still has some of its quaintness. Thanks again, and as my husband would say Semper Fi !!
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Thanks for the info on Tarpon Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISESHIPKRIS
Thanks for replying. You are correct, Tarpon is mostly greek. My mother was born in greece and reaised in Tarpon. My grandfather was a sponger. We are wondering if a reataurant named Pappas is still there. My grand father used to build model boats in his spare time and they used to be displayed in there. We can't wait to end our no doubt what will be a wonderful cruise will a little trip back to the place we have so many fond memories of. It no doubt has changed dramatically but hopefully still has some of its quaintness. Thanks again, and as my husband would say Semper Fi !!
Pappas Restaurant had a big fire there about a year ago...don't know the status of it today. I would suggest doing a search on the Internet and seeing if they have a web site. I know they were rebuilding.

Mark T
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Beginner

Pappas was rebuilt but it is now closed. It was recently owned by the Pappas family anymore. There has been talk of putting a hotel on the corner where it is now located. The Pappas famiy does own a chain of cafe around the Tampa area. One is on Tampa road west of the aiport in Oldsmar, FL.