Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Passenger

Default Virgin Drinks....

I heard that all virgin drinks (ie Strawberry daquiris & Pina Coladas) are the same price as regulars with alcohol...? Is this true??? Should I purchade drink coupons before we go? What are the pros and cons of drink coupons? ANyone purchase them?
Just wondering...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM
First Mate

My BF drinks virgin drinks and I don't. And he never mentioned what I would consider to be a foolish pricing structure between the two. I sent 2 books of coupons to myself 2 weeks ago for my cruise in 3 weeks. I figure since they include tip, they must save me some money. If anything, they definitely help me budget. We paid our gratuities already and now we plan on sending coupons here and there for the next couple weeks so our "tab" at the end won't be so shocking

You can search on this site for "miracle bar menu" or something to that effect and you will find actual scanned bar menus with prices. I did it before but forgot where I saved the link.

Happy Travels!
Waters
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I do know that the virgin drinks are less than the regular drinks. When we are getting fruity drinks like the "drink of the day" we always get them virgin. I think that the booze sort of ruins the taste anyhow. If I want a drink then I order a real drink. We have done coupons in the past and found them to be a benefit. I am leaving for Long Beach on friday and forgot all about the coupons. I will have to go over to the Carnival site to order some.
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM
First Mate

Hot Nail~

Do you feel the coupons save you money or just help with the budgeting concerns? In the past I make sure to order drinks that cost at least $5 in order to get a larger "return" on my investment. If I feel like a beer for $3....I obvioulsy won't use them.

Do you have any tips?

Waters
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Admiral

"Virgin" drinks $1 cheapdr. A bar menu:
http://community.webshots.com/album/521755807XYeiOA
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:14 PM
First Mate

If you're drinking mixed drinks it doesn't seem like you'd save much money, as a matter of fact you would be spending more money by buying the coupons as many of the mixed drinks are $4.50, am I right?
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Passenger

We buy the coupons mainly to keep our sail and sign down. We have only used them on frozend drinks though.
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, It does keep the sign and sail bill down. Though I did look at the bar menu that was posted and I think you do save a little using the coupons. The beer was 4.50 each plus the gratuity. I think that the gratuity is 15% if I remember correctly. That puts it at just over five dollars. Not much of a saving in the big picture. With the cost of the whole vacation, I guess that its probably worth messing with.
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:45 PM
First Mate

Also, isn't tax added to the price of a drink too? So you save a little bit more if that's true...

I'm likely to order the more involved drinks anyway. For some reason, my drinks always come to $6 or more. I know on land here in RI, each Long Island iced tea is $7.50 w/o tax and tip! And don't forget the Cosmopolitan and Apple Martinis....those run me $8 with house liquor!

I am presuming (and hoping) they let folks use the coupon for these kinds of drinks too...right???? It's not like we get to read fine print on the darn things before using them so it wouldn't seem fair to impose all these "can't haves" when we go to use them

I think of it this way, if I were buying these for a friend to use on thier cruise, I wouldn't want a bartender saying..."sorry (sir/miss/maam), you can only have $3 drinks with those coupons." I'd want them to let them use them for whatever they enjoy drinking!

Waters
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waters
I am presuming (and hoping) they let folks use the coupon for these kinds of drinks too...right???? It's not like we get to read fine print on the darn things before using them so it wouldn't seem fair to impose all these "can't haves" when we go to use them
No tax. Your 15% tip is added to the cost....but not tax. A single coupon is valid for a drink of up to about $5. So, if your drink is more expensive, you need to use two
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
First Mate

So if what you say is true, you really don't save any money, in fact you're merely pre-paying for your drinks..
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:43 PM
First Mate

I always thought they were good for an actual drink....not money off towards one. I do believe I've gotten that idea from these boards. In fact, if the gratuity is included, then I think the former might still be true. Unless there is an exact dollar amount that they are good for. (For instance, the Carnival folks figured out the exact dollar amount a drink would need to be so that when you add tip and tax to it, it will equal the cost of one drink coupon.)

If they did this, then I would expect it to be stated clearly (like they do with the photo coupons) that "This coupon is good towards the purchase of any drink and no further payment will be due if said drink costs $3.87 or less." or something like that. But they don't state that disclaimer at all on thier website (that I could find).

Futhermore, the attractiveness of these darn things is in the presumption (of mine at least) that they will yield one drink. No mess, no fuss. Just order a drink I like, trade in a coupon, and I'm on my way. If I have to sit there and subtract $3.87 (pre tax and pre tip cost of the coupon) from $8 for the martini I want, I can see how the drink coupons lose thier convieinece.[/u][/list]
To all those who just returned from a Carnival cruise and did use these drink coupons: Was it really this complicated? Or did you for the most part trade coupon for drink and went on your merry cruisin' way?

The thing I keep thinking of is if I order a drink (say, a...gasp....$6 one that will in the end cost $7.50 after tax and tip), and the server brings said drink to me, and then I present the coupon (worth no more than $5), will they actually charge me for the $1.50 difference between the two? And can't I just as easily say "Nevermind then, I've changed my mind."?, leaving them with an unwanted drink?
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Waters, I must agree with you. The way that I understand and the way that I have used them is that a coupon is worth a drink PERIOD. There is no adding and subtracting. One coupon for one drink. It is as simple as that. By the way I must add that I only have 3 more days till I cruise and just over one day till I leave for Long Beach. I cant wait.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Hi,

From the way I read it on the Carnival Gift site, you get 4 drink coupons for $19.50. That's $4.86 per coupon (includes tip and "delivery"). I would guess that you would have to charge the difference between $4.86 and whatever a higher priced drink costs to your card.

Or, if they are good for a drink up to $5.00, you'll be saving $.14 per drink!

Now, if you order a drink that costs less than $4.86 do they credit your account

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Beginner

So what is the email address for getting these drink coupons? I searched but couldn't find a link. Can someone give me an address and a link?
Thanks.
Old February 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Hi helenraquel,

Here's the link on Carnival's site:

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/De...er=2242&page=1

It's under the "Gifts" section.

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007