Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Passenger

Default Proposing on our Cruise!!!!

I am going to propose while we are on our cruise in May. We will be on the Elation for a 7 night eastern carribean cruise. I was going to do it while on one of the islands early on in the cruise, but I saw an idea in another site about having the piano player in the Piano Bar play our song and then after the song is over getting down on one knee and popping the question. I think this is the best idea I have heard yet, anyone else? I've got the ring, now I just have to figure out how to ask her. I would love to hear any feedback or suggestions, only 3 months away!!!!!!
Thanks.......RICH
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Captain

Rich,

What a great idea!! I'm sure you will get some great suggestions from the folks here at Cruisemates. Here is my suggestion:

Talk to the cruise director as soon as you board (or before via email if you can) and let him/her in on your plans. They always love to involve the passengers in stuff. maybe he/she can somehow get you involved in the Welcome Aboard show and you could pop the question on stage in front of everyone. Video Diary will probably record it and you guys will have a record of it for years to come.

Another idea might be to talk to the Matra Di (I can't spell it but you get the idea lol) and he could arrange for your ring to be "served" with her meal one night at dinner.

Have fun and keep us posted!

AKcruiser
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Whatever method you choose, I hope it's a big surprise for your lady! Just don't put the ring in your pocket and lean too far over the side of the ship!

My niece M was proposed to on a Carnival ship. Her fiancee` C arranged through the cruise director to have the Funnel Deck cleared of other passengers for a brief time one evening. C told M that they should take a look at the Funnel Deck to see what's up there.

Hidden in the dark was a classical guitarist, who started playing "Unchained Melody" as soon as they stepped onto the Funnel Deck. A photographer was also out of sight, and taped the entire proposal, using C's camcorder! C dropped to one knee, and she almost tripped over him in her shock!

C later told me it cost him about $100 for the guitarist and photographer, but SO worth every penny. I've seen the video a couple of times, and cry every time I see it. So special.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175
Default niiiice!

i'll be leaving for my first cruise ever in april, so i can't really give you any cruise-type ideas. but i'm a sucker for sunsets and a sucker for star-filled skies and i'm sure that whatever you choose will be memorable. and hey... would you mind talking to MY boyfriend? :-) just kidding!

congrats!
-lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Rmg1600,
Sounds like a wonderful plan Get your cruise director involved, and get some ideas, or some different ways to do this. Usually they have alot of expierance at this kind of stuff.
Also, don't forget about the Point Supper Club. ( not sure what its called on the Elation) But that could be a nice place also.
You've got a great idea about the piano bar theory too. No matter where you pop the question, I'm sure it will be all good. Nothing else, just being on a cruiseship is awesome.

Wishing you the best of luck in pulling this off

Best wishes and happy sailing;
david
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Passenger

My brother proposed to his wife on the carib princess a couple years ago. She would not have liked a public presentation so he waited for formal night and after dinner he took her for a walk under the stars to a spot where no one else was. He popped the question then. At the same time he gave us his room key so we could go back and open the bottle of dom he brought for the occasion. She was really suprised and spent the money to call her daughter from the ship. The rest of the cruise we were celebrating. Cindy
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Familiar Face

We were with some friends on our cruise. He popped the question on formal night in front of a photographer. The pics of her crying and then putting on the ring were great

Valor Jan 8, 2006
Triumph May 12 2007
Triumph November 3,2007
Liberty November 22, 2008
Miracle March 4, 2010
Glory Jan 16, 2011
Spirit Sept 11, 2012
Fascination September 22, 2014 Kansas Concert, Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay
Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
First Mate

On the Inspiration at the end of a lounge act, the singer announced that
he was going to sing a special song for a special couple. The couple
enjoyed the dance (no one else danced) and at the end of the song,
the male got down on one knee and proposed. It seemed as though
no one knew what was going on. Everyone including the singer were
surprised. Sure brought tears to everyones eyes. There are so many
wonderful places on a cruise to propose. I once cruise with a couple
that planned a special dinner on shore in Cozumel, he popped the
question there. Have a wonderful cruise and please let us Cruisemates
know how you decide to do it. Best Wishes..............
Happy Sailing..............
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

What a lucky girl!!! No matter how you do it, it will be a day she will never forget!!

On my first cruise, on the first night, they announced that they were going to unvail an ice sculpture. Everyone crowded around it, and then they pulled off the sheet. There was 2 ice doves, in a ice heart with a box in the middle. Then they took the sheet off the other sculpture, and it said "Marry Me Jill." You could hear a loud squeal (can you blame her?? ) and then he got down on one knee and popped the big question in person.

I guess it all depends on if she would want a public proposal or a private one. Personally, I think you earn bonus points for doing it in public . My husband did it in public, and I wouldn't have changed it for the world!!

Congrats!!!!!!

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Admiral

I know of at least one couple who got engaged on my cruise. From what I hear, it was very romantic.

Have a fantastic trip.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
Admiral

well, I hope you know your future partner well...you may want to run it past a few of her close girlfriends to gain some perspective..Since we are guys, we think how romantic it would be to make a big deal of it..and yet some women like the more intimate setting..

in my old age (VBG), I would go for the intimate and romantic version and I would do it at sunset as you are sailing away from port on a deck area that does not have alot of people...Then (note I did not say if) when she says yes I would have preplanned a special evening perhaps with the help of the cruise director, your waiter, the piano player in the club etc...

Sometimes, we as men try to over produce this moment because we think that's what the love of our lives want..I always remember the tv commercial where the couple is at the basketball game and he has arrange for the proposal to be up on the big screen and she misses it and sees something that has no connection to what he has arranged..of when she says no in front of everyone

Good luck, she'll never forget the details of how you go about it and every anniversary you will be on a cruise (VBG)