CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Casual Dining Attire On Carnival (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/309243-casual-dining-attire-carnival.html)

Snick's Guy February 20th, 2006 02:27 AM

Casual Dining Attire On Carnival

Our group will be on the Carnival Triumph on April 1. This will be my sixth Carnival cruise out of 15 cruises total. I haven't been on Carnival in about three years, but I have noticed that the dining room attire became more and more casual throughout the 90's and into this decade. Last Carnival cruise, I would say about 15% to 20% of people in the dining rooms were in jeans on the non-formal nights. I need to know what to pack, and am wondering if they are still very lax in enforcing the no jean rule (if it even exists anymore).

Thank you for your replies.

showcat February 20th, 2006 03:19 AM

I went on Carnival last April, I honestly don't remember seeing any of the men in jeans. Dockers are fine. Women can wear capri type pants. If I were to consider jeans I would wear white, tan or black denim not blue, hopes this helps. I don't know if they enforce the rules or not I do think business casual seems to be what everyone does.

BlueChef February 20th, 2006 10:47 AM

During any of my 14 Carnival cruises, I have yet to see jeans in the dining room - on men or women. (Of course, I don't check each person's attire.) :shock:

However, I have seen a couple of Maitre d' doing their job properly by turning away people who are not correctly dressed. Good for them!

The dress code does not specifically say 'no jeans' (I wish it did.) The only thing that is in print is that shorts, tees or tank tops, or swimwear and coverups are NOT allowed in the dining room during the dinner times.

"Resort casual" is the proper attire for evenings on non-formal nights. To me, this is something light and airy, tropical, and that just doesn't bring to mind denim. Look at all the people in the TV commercials about cruising or island resorts - NO JEANS! :D

Mike M February 20th, 2006 11:46 AM

I really don't remember seeing anyone in jeans on casual night but unless they are torn and they aren't wearing a shirt or a tank top I probably wouldn't have noticed.

What I do remember is that most folks were wearing the standard Docker style pants and a polo type or golf, or button up shirt.

Take care,
Mike

antron February 20th, 2006 01:14 PM

no jeans or shorts for dinner. sunday dresses, nice top and pants, capri outfits will do fine. of course at the lido buffett you have on what-ever because it is so close to the pool. i saw someone in their pj's and robe getting a breakfast to go on my last cruise ( of course it was to take back to his wife to have breakfast in bed LOL ). have a great time.

skymaster February 20th, 2006 06:08 PM

I have seen jeans in the dining room in the evening, but ONLY on the first night out, when some people might not have their luggage yet. I think they are more lax that night, for that reason. Like the others above, I'd suggest dockers, or that type of pants as the most casual allowed, and perhaps a nice knit shirt with a collar.
See you aboard,
Ken

luv2cruise99 February 20th, 2006 09:51 PM

Carnival does not currently have a policy prohibiting jeans (I don't know if they ever did). It has been about 3 years since my last cruise on Carnival, but at that time, I saw quite a few people in jeans and wore them myself every non-formal night.

big apple February 20th, 2006 10:26 PM

They sure could add some class to their line with some dress code rules on jeans not being allowed.If they want total casual let,s forget any dress code and all can come in any attire and the rest of us will move to the other lines such as Celebrity and Holland where dinner is more than casual buffet line like a fast food slop house.

Snick's Guy February 21st, 2006 11:48 AM

thank you everyone for your replies. i think i'll go with a real nice pair of brand new jeans on the first and last night, but were dockers on the other non-formal nights. thanks again.

antron February 21st, 2006 12:02 PM

sorry, no jeans on any night but the first night. your dockers will be perfect for all the other nights though.

dina February 21st, 2006 04:32 PM

I didn't see any jeans in the dining rooms but it was perfectly fine in the buffet dining area.

antron February 22nd, 2006 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dina
I didn't see any jeans in the dining rooms but it was perfectly fine in the buffet dining area.

dina, yes i did forget to mention that. in the lido buffett you can wear jeans or shorts. just not in the main dining room you are not suppose to wear them except the first night.

CAsailor February 22nd, 2006 11:20 AM

Some cruiselines have rules against jeans in the main dining room (Princess and Celebrity come to mind), but Carnival doesn't. I saw plenty on my last Carnival cruise a few years ago. In fact, even on Princess, where they are supposed to be prohibited, I saw lots on my cruise last November. As long as they are nice jeans, you will have no problems wearing them on Carnival.

lhp February 22nd, 2006 05:56 PM

Carnival does not have a formal rule against jeans in the formal dining room for dinner. However, you are announcing to the world that you don't know any better.

CAsailor February 23rd, 2006 11:23 AM

You're right, I'm announcing to the world that I see no reason why jeans should not be worn in the dining room. My last cruise was on Princess, which does have a rule prohibiting jeans that was widely ignored. Apparently, alot of people are making the same announcement.

big apple February 23rd, 2006 12:58 PM

Rules are rules and they should be followed whether you like them or not Thank goodness most of the cruisers follow them.It is interesting to me where most of these dress problems ocur. Want to give the reason why?

CAsailor February 23rd, 2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big apple
Rules are rules and they should be followed whether you like them or not Thank goodness most of the cruisers follow them.It is interesting to me where most of these dress problems ocur. Want to give the reason why?

But this discussion is on the Carnival thread where there aren't any rules prohibiting jeans. So what's your point?

BlueChef February 26th, 2006 02:35 PM

It's simple. There are different classes of people. Some know what is appropriate - and dress accordingly. Then there are the clods who do whatever they want, regardless. Those people, I try to avoid.

eznunzit March 14th, 2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueChef
It's simple. There are different classes of people. Some know what is appropriate - and dress accordingly. Then there are the clods who do whatever they want, regardless. Those people, I try to avoid.

I live in the FL. Keys so I am thinking that my area qualifies as resort living. It is true that you rarely see people dressed in jeans. Down here jeans are too formal. Throw on a nice pair of shorts, special flip flops and a clean shirt and you are good to go. BTW I am a banker and dress professionally at work so would definetly not consider myself a clod. In fact all the multi-millionaires who live down here and laugh at the thought of ever wearing dockers again are ppl I am sure you would not want to avoid. Be careful about grouping people by their dress.

Happy cruisin'!