Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Default Would it look tacky???

Would it look tacky to walk into the dining room with a glass of wine in your hand??? WIll they let you? My hubby want to bring his own wine and not pay the $10.00 cork fee.......Please no bashing just asking a question....
Thanks everyone...
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:42 AM
First Mate

Absolutely not as many people may have not finished their drink prior to the dinner sitting time where they do not want you to be late.
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Familiar Face

ASOLUTELY NOT!!

The whole wine issue strikes a cord with me anyway!
When one of the ships got off its usual agenda, a mini cruise to nowhere became available. A group of us got together and went out for a 2 day jaunt (aka..much needed rest). I purchased a large bottle of wine to share amonst ourselves and brought it to the table knowing full well that there would be a *corking fee*. I was truly amazed when the maitre d' actually RAN over to our table and stated very loudly to our waiter, "charge them $20 dollars for that bottle". I asked him why that would be when the brochures clearly state....$10 dollar corking fees will apply. He told me that this bottle was a *magnum*.

In my very humble and obviously worthless opinion, A......Nowhere in my readings did I uncover any differential between bottle sizes. B.....what kind of CLOD (posing as a maitre d') rushes to a table and loudly, within clear earshot of your guests, announces this to the guests waiter.??!
On the upside, everyone of us recognized a pathetic jerk when we saw one and none of us gave this clown one red cent.

My suggestion...buy the cheapest glass of wine available,save the glass and take your own glass of wine to the table every night.
galvgal
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:24 AM
First Mate

If the cruise line would offer some wines below $20 we would not be having this discussion.Currently they are charging 4 times what I can buy it for in a liquor store and then add another 15%tip.I t is no wonder why many people do not have wine with dinner and think about walking in with their wine at dinner.
Old February 25th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Having wine in the dining room is no different than having wine in a restaurant or lounge on land. It just isn't the same as buying a bottle in wine or liquor store and taking it home.

At home I doubt there's anyone who would try and sneak wine into a restaurant or lounge with them.

There are some areas on land where restaurants allow you bring your own wine with, and charge you a corkage fee... just as they do on ships.

If you want to bring wine onboard for consumption in your cabin, no problem. But, in my view, it IS TACKY to bring your own to the dining room (or any public area) in glasses, just to avoid the surcharges.

No one will know you are bringing your own wine with you, and no one will ask where your glass came from... so you won't be arrested and put in the brig. But you'll know..

Not so sound harsh.. but frankly, if you can afford to go on a cruise, and can afford to drink, then you can afford to buy a glass or bottle or wine - or pay a corkage fee at dinner.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can see your point Kuki, but what about when you are ordering from the bar prior to dinner and then not finishing your glass of wine and taking the remainder in the dining room with you? I don't see that as being any different than when you are in a land based restaurant and you wait in the bar and start a drink while you wait for your table to be ready.

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:34 PM
First Mate

Believe you are missing my point and they would not have to charge a corkage charge for most of us if they would offer some reasonably priced wines.Would more than happy to order wine every nite if some decently priced choices.In most restaurants you can select a more reasonably priced wine or in many cases house wine even more reduced.Would be a good marketing project for one of the cruise lines and see if they can drive more profit with increased volumn.A couple of years ago Holland had happy hr. by the pool and offered 2 for 1 from 4 to 7 and I was amazed and the number of people taking advantage of this and am sure they did not lose on this project.For thr record there are many Chliean, Australian,South African,Argentinianand for that matter us wines that could be offered for less than $20 with a handsome profit for the cruise line.
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Admiral

back to the original question..no it would not look tacky to walk into the dining room with a glass of wine in your hand..this happens alot on the captain's welcome aboard party

it would not look so good to walk in the dining room with a bottle of wine however
Old February 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I can see your point Kuki, but what about when you are ordering from the bar prior to dinner and then not finishing your glass of wine and taking the remainder in the dining room with you?
No problem.. it happens all the time; people bringing their drinks (wine or whatever) from the bars. That's why no one would notice at all. No one would know if anyone did it.... only the people carrying the drink. The question was "is it tacky". My answer was yes. Hardly seems worth it to save $5.
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Carnival cruise directors are constantly singing the song "'Do your thing and don't worry because no one knows who you are and you'll never see them again anyways." My point being---if prancing around with a scary looking hairy chest and letting women you don't know paw you in front of a bunch of cheering adults and children is acceptable during the hairy chest contest --then I'm guessing the same philosophy should apply to bringing in your own glass of wine. I'm seriously hoping that people on vacation have better things to do then check out and make judgment calls about people they don't know or care about. . Come on folks--you can't have it both ways. Lighten up and find more important things to do.
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I'm seriously hoping that people on vacation have better things to do then check out and make judgment calls about people they don't know or care about
To begin with I don't think anyone was "judging" anyone. A question was asked, and has been answered by people... some with differing opinions on the answer.

As I have said.. no one will notice, or know what the person decides to do or not do.

Think that we should all keep in mind that in most things there's right and wrong.... and adapting what's right or wrong to suit our own needs doesn't make it right. Doing something wrong, just because you know you can get away with it doesn't make it right.
But I guess that's why people have consciences. In the end we all just have to live with ourselves.
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kuki, with all due respect, I don't think bringing morality into this thread is called for. You have made several good points, however.

If I have been sent a bottle of wine as a bon voyage gift, I do take it to the dining room. I'm a solo cruiser, and I enjoy that one bottle of wine for two evenings. Other times, I order a bottle, which the waiter will keep and bring out the next evening.....and sometimes I do bring a glass of wine with me (from one of the lounges).

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!