Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Default Is "adult" comedy really necessary ?

First let me say I'm by no mean attempting to step on anybody's toes(except some comedians)...we are all different which makes for an interesting place. BUT...
I just returned yesterday from the wonderful classy Carnival Legend.
Classy dining staff, classy cruise director, and classy shows except for this so called " adult" humor which was nothing but rubbish. This one guy( for example) appeared to be a Andrew Dice Clay clone who insulted the guest, made totally inappropriate sexual remarks concerning women, and used terms incompatable with polite society. Why would Carnival hire these lowlifes?
I find it ironic that "adult" and "mature" are the euphemisms for what is in effect adolescent humor or behavior.

One might respond by saying in effect "hey buddy if you don't like it don't go see it" ., Your right I won't make the mistake of seeing a midnight comedy show again.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

You seem to be arguing with yourself.
Why would it even concern you if others do enjoy it?

I happen to think bingo is obscene but I'm not on a campaign to have it abolished.

Elation-Mexican Riviera 9/2003
Liberty-Eastern Caribbean 3/2006
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Admiral

"Adult" comedy...another reason it is rated R. On our recent Princess cruise we had comedian shows but there were no midnight "Adult" comedy shows.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
First Mate

At least adult comedy brings a little variance to the same type shows that are performed on every ship.If I am not mistaken all of these shows are very late in the evening and you are supposed to be 18 yrs of age but not enforced on most Carnival ships which is another subject for discussion.Have found for the most part these shows are not total rubish as you may indicate.Since ther are many activities to attend your absence should not be of any concern.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd be one of those who would say that to you...Just don't go.

However, in all fairness, the adult comedy shows on Carnival ships are presented at midnight, and they are well advertised in the Capers as being R-rated, 18 or older.

Obviously, many people like this type comedy. I don't happen to, so I just don't go to them. Doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be presented.

There are plenty of other shows to attend - although not at midnight. The only ones I attend are the production shows. I don't happen to care for magicians, jugglers, or comedians in general - but I wouldn't suggest that no one else attend. To each her/his own, y'know?

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
First Mate

I love it!
Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old March 2nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
Admiral

I'm holding in my hand a current Carnival Capers...it reads
"LATE NIGHT COMEDY
the ADULT comedy of.....
Midnight -firebird Lounge"

That's hardly fair warning that the show is obscene. Jeff Foxworth for example would be properly classified as ADULT humor due to suggestive nature or themes. Howard Stern on the other hand appeals toward sexually inmature and intellectually challenged males. Big difference!

I'm not saying to get rid of comedy or to keep everything G rated, but what i did put on my comment card was that Carnival needed to clean up these shows by bringing them up to the class of the ship. Some of these miscreants on stage need to returned to the trash dumpters where they were found. :evil:

/ticker.png">
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
First Mate

Yikes! That last comment was kinda harsh. To tell the truth, I like the adult comedy shows too. And I know full well there will be swearing and probably many sexually suggestive remarks. For some reason, I love it because for some other reason, when done well, I LAUGH

I also love Ellen and Bill Cosby and other magnificent comedians that do not use adult language because they make me laugh

And I am very happy they offer this as an alternative because I am serious all year long and when I go on spring break, I like to have FUN! When I get back home and have to concentrate on defending that darn dissertation again.......I'll miss those adult shows and being able to walk down the corridor and up/down the elevator to see them!! If ships only hired entertainers that, as you describe, are up to par with the class-level of the rest of the ship, then I'd be quite bored I think. I like the variety.

I'm glad you attended the show and learned that they are not your cup of tea. It is both important to know what we like AND what we dislike

Cheers!
Waters
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Admiral

I don't like escargot either - but I would not expect that the cruise line should not serve it because I don't like it.

If you don't like a particular entertainer no one forces you to sit and watch. I adore Jeff Foxworthy but consider his comedy - as well as that of his cohorts - to be fairly tame.

Just because a comedian is R-rated does not mean his show is classless - that is an opinion.

I say if you don't like it don't see it - being an adult I will choose for myself and it is not up to another person's "opinion" as to what the rcuise line should do.

Get 'er done!!!!!

TTFN Jennifer
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:04 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

When I hear adult, I don't think of Jeff Foxworthy, I do think of Andrew Dice Clay. Let's think about this in terms of movies. You have the G rated, which would be the Ellen, or Bill Cosby. You have the PG, which would be like Jeff Foxworthy, then you have PG-13, there you have Carrot Top. We move onto R, George Carlin, would be a good one. NC-17 OR ADULT movies, there you have Richard Pryor, and Andrew Dice Clay. ADULT...... when I see ADULT, I automaticly think of raunchy comedy.

That's MY opinion.

Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Adult comedy means different things to different people, perhaps the solution would be a note in the Capers below the advertisement for the show *"may include adult language and sexual comments" that way you would know what to expect.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I am in favor of having it. You can always walk out. Nothing says more to a comic than people leaving. Or it can give him material for his next show.

Actually, If I hear one more comic talk about the sound of the toilet flushing on a cruise ship I will walk out.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Mike ! - Vaawoosh!!!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
I am in favor of having it. You can always walk out. Nothing says more to a comic than people leaving. Or it can give him material for his next show.

Actually, If I hear one more comic talk about the sound of the toilet flushing on a cruise ship I will walk out.

Take care,
Mike
I know what you mean...Those toilet jokes do tend to become cliche' don't they ?

/ticker.png">
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Lisa:

You have now forced me to leave.

Take care,
Mike (Just kidding)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Admiral

I normally enjoy them all,,,,simply, if for no other reason,,,that I don't attend that type of show when I'm not on a ship. I certainly wouldn't want ONLY that type of comedy, but at midnight, when I'm on vacation, I'm more relaxed, and put up with all types of entertainment.
By the way Mike,,,,,whatever you do,,,,,don't sit down on the toilet on a ship and flush,,,,,,,,,,Sorry, just couldn't help myself.
Ken
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Admiral

I love adult comedy. I prefer someone like Richard Pryor, Chris Rock, the raunchier the better! I think people should lighten up, laugh at life, people polictics and sex. The world needs a good laugh its good for the body and the soul.
Old March 4th, 2006, 08:32 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

It's an option to those that do not wish to see batton twirling and napkin folding, although obviously they are not happening at the same time.

Many concurrent activities going on at all times. Just choose what suits you, and don't worry what suits others.

As to why Carnival would hire (not sure why you are namecalling), apparently there is an audience. If there weren't, guess what?

You already answered your own question. On both boards
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is "adult" comedy really necessary ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
First let me say I'm by no mean attempting to step on anybody's toes(except some comedians)...we are all different which makes for an interesting place. BUT...
People online don't seem to read that part. If you DO like "adult" humor then respectfully state its merits, not react like I'm attacking you personally. I'm not..I'm simply stating that I don't think obscene shows have a place on Carnival Cruiseline. To those who are in effect are saying "shut up"...interestingly enough that's NOT what the company told me. Neither the Purser's deck or the entertainment host told me "simply don't go".
Here's a real inference: I never said who the offensive comedian was or even what he/she said that was obscene. Becouse i don't care to be expelled from Cruisemates for lewd post, I cannot and wiil not share, therefore it appear that I have everyone at a disadvantage.

/ticker.png">
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Passenger

Thoth,

If there were more people like you we would be able to get Disney on every channal..or better yet, just have one channal and save all that money on tuners.....
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Default I understand...

I think the original poster is saying they go too far. I would also agree. I was on the Holiday last June and my parents went to the adult show. (I don't go because that type of "entertainment" is rude and uncalledc for.) They said the so-called comedian was really rude. Why is it called comedy when people are being made fun of? I don't see how that could possibly entertain anyone. The adult shows could stand to be cleaned up a little....and they would still be considred "adult."

Carnival Liberty February 2008

Carnival Celebration '07
Carnival Valor '06
Carnival Holiday '05
Old March 4th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
'm simply stating that I don't think obscene shows have a place on Carnival Cruiseline
The problem, just like on land, is who is deciding what's "obscene", and what's just a bad act.

I've seen acts that were terrible, and just walked out, as I would in the main theater if the show was bad. And I've seen some very talented "late night comics" who's material was just too racy for the showroom.

We should all excercise the right to express our opinions, with our prescence and our comment cards.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:17 AM
First Mate

The adult shows are very similiar to R rated movies where if we do not want to be exposed to language etc then stay away and everyone will be satisfied.Too many want to tell us what is moraaly right or wrong Just don,t go to these shows and no feelings will be hurt.
Old March 5th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Comedians still talk about the plumbing???? Wow!!! I thought that must have stopped with the newer "quieter" plumbing installed in the new ships. I rarely attend the late shows. Staying up that long is a challenge for this old gal!

Laura
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Smiles

Yes, I am smiling to myself. This conversation falls right into the category with the question about jeans in the dining room. My point is that this is one of those "hot" subjects. Can all of you say thank goodness for freedom of speech?

Personally, I don't care whether they have adult comedians late at night or not. I go to see comedians, but don't care for the ones who are not funny, or if they use a lot of vulgar language. I know all those words and how to use them since I am married to a Marine. I see the adult shows as a freedom of choice. If the comedian is not funny, or I dislike them for whatever reason I get up and leave and choose some other entertainment. That is the American way.

Enjoy your cruises!
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Familiar Face

I flipped back thru my old Capers and all the adult shows not only said "Adults Only" but further specified the shows were for 18 and up and a few even said "X comedy shows."

I don't know how much more specific you could be, actually. On land "adult" entertainment usually means someone taking their clothes off......

I'm sorry you misinterpreted "adult" but at least now you know and can stay away.

As far as Carnival not having adult comedy, it reminds me of the obscenity arguments on dry land....no two parties can agree what is obscene and what it not. You did the only thing you could do - write your opinion on the comment card. If Carnival gets enough comment cards agreeing with you, things will change.

dorothy

Carnival Sensation, Dec. 2004
Carnival Sensation, Dec. 2006
Carnival Fascination, Dec. 2009
Carnival Elation
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

Is "adult" comedy really necessary ?

Yes.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:13 PM
First Mate

Yes, it's necessary for those of us who want a laugh. But, you don't have to post this on every board to get the same answers.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to gsujillybean
Default Re: Is "adult" comedy really necessary ?

[/quote]I'm simply stating that I don't think obscene shows have a place on Carnival Cruiseline. To those who are in effect are saying "shut up"...interestingly enough that's NOT what the company told me. Neither the Purser's deck or the entertainment host told me "simply don't go".
[/quote]

Of COURSE the company won't say that. Having worked in customer service, I can assure you that they simply THOUGHT it while pretending to agree with you for the sake of diplomacy.

Carnival Celebration--7/29/06
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:05 AM
First Mate

Thoth, Sounds like you are getting beat up a bit here. I do nhot care for comics who have no act without spewing filth. I do however enjoy some amount of foul lanuage if it supports the dialouge and does not dominate it.
As for the wording "Adult" I find that humorous in itself. We call it adult, go in to the club at midnight, keep the teens away, and then proceed to use very juvenile observations to make us laugh.

To each his own, but let's call it what it is. Instead of "adult comedy" would you go if it was billed as an hour of talk and put downs about body parts, noises, and sexual acts? Furthermore, would you do this at home? Are your standards lower at sea?
Before anyone gets huffy with me and fires back to attack, give me a few minutes, I am busy down-loading, "adult" photos from another website.