Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Beginner

Remember some cash as well. I normally don't like to take much cash with me, but remember to bring some small bills for tips. Porters, room service, taxis on port stops, etc. You can always exchange larger bills for smaller on the ship, but if you need to get more cash while on the ship (or in another country) it will cost you.

Have a great cruise!
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:28 PM
First Mate

all of the above plus--more money, bonine, my own travel hairdryer and curling iron. with everything else listed that covers it for me.

what i wish i had left at home----half the clothes
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cana57

Sit down, have a glass of wine, make a list, check it and check it again, get your suitcases packed and put them by the door and relax for the next day or two.

I did get a lot of helpful ideas from this board but I weeded through them and bought what I felt was important and necessary for me - my extension cord, my lock travel certified, baby wash cloths for excursions, pump handwash instead of soap, and over the door shoe container to hold everything neat and clean and renuzit.... Just in case the room had that stale smell....

Otherwise, I've planned my clothes and I might even be able to manage with just one suitcase but this is only a four night trip for me....

Don't forget to write when you get back and share your pics....cana57@aol.com....(Theresa)

P.S. I agree about the small bills, specifically "nearly new" one dollar bills as corny as that sounds....

Carnival Imagination 5/4/06
Carnival Fantasy 9/30/06
Carnival Inspiration 5/3/07
Carnival Triumph 10/13/07
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cana57
P.S. I agree about the small bills, specifically "nearly new" one dollar bills as corny as that sounds....
I am a manager at a bank, and order money from our central vault. Let me tell you how RARE it is to actually recieve "nearly new" $1 bills. They are very hard to come by. I would just ast the teller you get the bills from to sort through what they have to find the ones in the best condition, or go to your local bank well over a month in advance and order new $1 bills from the federal reserve bank that supplies money to your local bank.
Old April 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme
Default a light sweater, etc.

I always think of warm, warm weather when I'm packing, so it's easy to forget the sometimes chilly night air on deck or in some venues. But I always get plenty of wear out of a cardigan and/or sweatshirt.

Like someone else mentioned, bright colored duct tape makes your luggage super easy to pick out of a crowd. We put a strip on the ends of our luggage and one on the back.

If you have any on hand, a half dozen clothes pins to hold down your shower curtain. Those shower edges are shallow and have a tendency to leave puddles.

Have a great time!!!!
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:17 PM
First Mate

I get $2 bills - less one dollar bills to carry and it works well with the porters for your luggage ($1 each piece). Got mine today - so I'm all set.

Don't put locks on your suitcases - the airport will break them off to check your luggage. Had that happen two years ago - so I use the electrical ties to close - they have not cut them off. Also I use orange masking tape to wrap around luggage - may look tacky - who cares - I can easly spot my luggage from afar.
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Admiral

I agree with Mary P about the 2 dollar bills.A week before we cruise,I stop at a lot of banks to load up on two dollar bills,and one dollar coins....just for tipping.
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jenischmeni

Everybody had such GREAT ideas, but here's my 'must have' that's not included:

POP TARTS

I never, ever travel without them. You never know when you're going to be incredibly hungry at 3:00 a.m. (Or wake up starving and don't feel like getting dressed for a 'snack'.) And many times, it's been great for the kids to snarf down a pop tart in the airport while waiting to board the plane home!

They're small and make a nice snack! (Slightly more nutritous than candy bars.)
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

great ideas
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Swimming pool float lounger,if you have a balcony.This cushions the hard plastic lounger.
Old April 12th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Beginner

This might sound stupid. I'm a first time cruiser leaving in May. Can you bring liquor with you? How expensive is liquor on the boat?
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Admiral

jenischmeni, I ate pop tarts growing up,but I am on vacation,and I am ordering free room service in the early morn when i'm hungry.A fruit salad,and a chicken fajita taste better at 3 am in the morning....than a pop tart....I like to be spoiled
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Passenger

I'm a first time cruiser. Do I get you right - that there is FREE room service at 3:00 a.m. and you can order what you like?

I think I'm going to like this!

What do you tip, for this service?
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Hi NIP,

Yes, there's FREE room service! You will have a room service menu in your cabin. You can't order anything you want, but there is a pretty good selection available. I don't know if they still have grilled cheese sandwiches, but they were delicious!

We usually tip $2.00 or $3.00 depending on how much we order.

Have a great cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 13th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Passenger

So, this is where all of those $2 bills will come in handy! Thanks so much for the information.
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Admiral

NIP, they also come in handy when tipping during your excursions.The little dollar coins are nice to keep in a cup in a storage area near the door to tip with when ordering room service