CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   HELP We won a cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/310372-help-we-won-cruise.html)

stprdi March 8th, 2006 11:34 PM

HELP We won a cruise

We won a 7 day cruise to wherever we want in the Caribbean. Where to go though, that is the hard part. Leaning towards the east or south. Victory from Miami or Destiny from San Juan looks promising so far. Mainly looking for the beautiful postcard beaches and towns. Going end of Aug to mid Sept. Anyone able to offer tips on these cruises or ships.

Kuki March 8th, 2006 11:55 PM

My first recommendation would be to just give the cruise to me!!!! LOL

If the airfare to San Juan isnt a concern, the Southern Itin has the most ports stops and some great islands.

BUT.. nothing wrong with the Caribbean islands west or east.

wakedreams March 9th, 2006 08:03 AM

Post card beaches, I would recommend St Maarten Orient beach, St Thomas Coki beach or St John's Trunk Bay - Accessable from St Thomas via ferry. --- those are Eastern routes

Western routes - post card beach is Grand Cayman's 7 mile beach. :)

Planning is half the fun!! --- and congratulations!!!!!!!

dina March 9th, 2006 08:26 AM

I'm jealous..... LOL I got back from Southern Caribbean - Destiny just last month. It was great and they are rarely hit up with the hurricane thing. Whatever you do.. have a great time and congrats.

angela1957 March 9th, 2006 09:02 AM

Eastern car. is by far a better place

LisaK March 9th, 2006 11:52 AM

to have such a dilema! You can't go wrong any way you choose!
If you want white silky sandy beaches with turquoise waters, good snorkeling and shopping then i would go the Eastern Route.
The Western Route is a bit more active with things like swiming with the Sting Rays,climbing water falls, river tubing, zip lines, awesome snorkeling, Mayan ruins and really nice beaches.
The Southern Route is your most port-intensive route, this is the route that will give you the most exposure to local towns and the local island flavor, you will find lots to do and great beaches to explore.
Since you will be traveling during the peak of hurrican season,and if airfare to San Juan is not a concern i would lean more towards the Southern route - these islands are out of the hurricane belt.

stprdi March 9th, 2006 07:03 PM

When does hurricane season "officially" end? Would it be a problem with flying? We;ve never been to that area before. Our airfare is being paid as well, from Canada! It for sure is a dilemma but a nice one. Just want to make sure we make the most of it. We'd also like to tack on a few days at the end in one of the ports. Suggestions there?????

dina March 10th, 2006 07:54 AM

Last year there was a hurricane in December. I think its officially over in Oct/Nov time frame but I'm not an expert. We don't get those in Michigan.

San Juan is absolutely wonderful if you decide to take Destiny. :)

LisaK March 10th, 2006 10:06 AM

strpdi- hurricane season is from July to the end of October i think. Not sure of the "official" time frame. Since airfare is not a concern, i would personally choose the Southern route, they very rarely get hit by the hurricanes, and i love the diversity of the ports-of-call.

Dorothy March 10th, 2006 10:34 AM

Hurricane season officially ends November 30th.

I would hands down chose a Southern itinerary, especially since your airfare is paid for - wow!

Enjoy all the planning....

dorothy

CA Cruiser March 10th, 2006 11:08 AM

Another vote for the Southern since your airfare is paid. That's why we haven't done it yet...expensive airfares. Then after you become addicted to cruising, you can do the ones closer to home.

pcboston March 10th, 2006 11:55 AM

Free Airfare? The Southern route, absolutely! I wouldn't cruise out of anywhere else if the airfare to San Juan were cheaper. The sea is calmer, the islands are more tropical and varied, and just about every one has beautiful beachs and many exciting things to do. Especially if you are thinking of going down ahead of time for a few days, San Juan is also a Caribbean port, so you'll be starting your vacation early. If you possibly can stay one night post-cruise, I would recommend that also because the airport gets really overwhelmed on Sundays when many ships return to port and all those people are trying to fly home. I have run into this at other port cities also, so if its possible to stay, I do that now. It's just a more relaxing way to end a vacation. Enjoy your first cruise...I think you will get just as addicted as we are. Happy sails...........

jero_tequila March 11th, 2006 12:33 AM

Hey I am form Puerto Rico

Last week of Aug till first week of Oct. is the high season for hurricanes around here (Actual season begins in July 1 and ends Nov 30) . But for the last 2 or 3 years they haven't been a problem since apperently they decided to attack someone else apart from the east caribbean (known during the 90's has the Hurricane Highway), apparently the Highway shiffted to the Gulf/Western Caribbean, so I would recomend the eastern caribbean, altough never salied it. (went to the western 2 years ago)

The only problem with my recomendations its that actully hurricanes have become more unpredictable during the years so if you are goign to plan a vacation for that time of the year to the caribbean, well cross your fingers starting know.

The good news is, (and most people don't know this) the most beautifull time to go to a beach here in Puerto Rico, is from June trough mid Septmber.

Another quick fact is that in August Hurricanes are more probable in the Gulf because the waters have warmed up already. For the Eastern Caribbean/Atlantic it takes till September to warm up. So if you plan to cruise the eastern caribbean and want to minimize the probabilites of encountering a Hurricane in your Vacation try to plan your vacation for early august, the earliest the better ;)

Any question about hurricanes and PR email me at jero_tequila@hotmail.com

showcat March 11th, 2006 03:06 AM

I would do the southern in a hearbeat! Barbados has 365 beaches no? My cousin did this cruise with her kids and loved it, on the same ship. Everyone enjoyed it. She liked Dominca the best. Since airfare would normally cost more on this intinerary, cash in on the free airfare to San Juan I would spend an additional few days there even if you have to spring for the hotel yourself. I was in San Juan in December and I was very impressed it's very beautiful, lots to do and see. My reccomendation is research all your ports on line, and look at shore excursions if you like just to be sure. I've done Eastern and Western, Im going to do Mexican Rivera and then hopefully Southern. Do write us all a review of your cruise under reader reviews.