Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Passenger

Default First time cruiser/Question on dining on Pride

Myself, husband & 10 yr old son will be cruising on the Pride out of L.B. the first week of June. Can anyone tell me how strict the dress code is for the eveing dining, including the formal dinners. We live in AZ so needless to say we need to buy long pants for my son and myself. Than you in advance. I'm sure I'll have many more questions. It has been 15yrs since my husband and I have been on a cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Admiral

If you going into the dining room:

Formal night- Long dress or cocktail dress is fine. Suits for the guys

not formal night - Dockers and a nice shirt for the guys and slacks or skirt with top for you. Its business casual.

If you don't want to get "dressed" at all, you can do alternate dining in the buffet.

Most of all... have a great time and enjoy yourselves.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I often wear capri pants and shirt or a cute summery dress on casual nights. It will be very hot out, and although the dining room may be cool, you might not feel like putting on long pants after a long day in the sun.
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. Do they serve buffet during dinner or do you just have like the pizza place to eat? I just hate to buy new clothes for formal night if you don't need it. The last cruise we went on during formal night no one was really dressed up.
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Familiar Face

"Formal night" usually means a tux or dark suit for the man and an evening gown or cocktail dress for the women. As for casual night, you can get by with a polo shirt and casual pants for the men and a sundress or light blouse and slacks for the women. The buffet restaurant will serve full dinners during the evening if you want to be casual.

By the way, I will be taking this cruise as my honeymoon. See you on board!
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Passenger

Thanks Tom, I hope you and your new wife have a fantastic honeymoon! Thanks for the info. 8)
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Admiral

desertrat - formal nowadys on cruise lines is a bit more relaxed from the "official" etiquette terms. If your husband/son has a nice suit, that would be great, but nice dress pants, dress shirt, tie and blazer are also perfectly acceptable dress for men and boys for formal night in the main dining room.
As for you, it doesn't have to be a long gown. A nice dressy dress, a cocktail dress, dress suit, dressy pants with a dressy sparkly blouse- all are fine.
I usually tell folks to wear on formal nights something that they would wear to a church wedding with a reception at the local country club or nice hotel. What used to be called your "Sunday go to church clothes"

Casual nights in the main dining rooms- the "uniform" for men/boys is Dockers type pants, cargo pants, nice casual pants with a polo or button-down shirt, hawaiian print shirts and nice casual shoes.
Ladies/girls - i go for a sundress and flat sandals or kitten heels, so easy. Capri pants with a nice top, nice slacks with a nice blouse.
shorts, t-shirts and bathing suits are not allowed in the dining rooms for dinner.
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Passenger

LISA, Thank you so much for your response. That is exactly what I was looking for. I thought it has gotten a little more relaxed, especially being The Pride is not one of the most "luxury ship". I am so relieved. Living in Tucson very seldom do we use long cocktail dresses. Thanks again
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hello, I just got back from the Pride on week ago. The dress is much more laid back than it used to be. There are still two "formal nights" but about half the people are not really formal. You can get away with the "smart casual" look and will probably not have any trouble. I do know that they will probably not allow any shorts in the main dining room. I would recommend that you try to attend the dining room dinners because I believe that is where some of the best food is served. Have a great cruise.