Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Passenger

Default Tips and S&S card...

DO I take the tips off my S&S card right when we check in or do we have to wait a couple of days or the end of the cruise ? I just prefer to give cash..... And want nothing on my S&S card...(we are not drinkers either)Will our room steward know we have taken them off? I plan to tip him a $20.00 right when we get in the cabin and have our cooler full of ice so I am afraid he will not to a good service if he knows our tips are taken off the S&S card.
I KNOW this is a touchy subject, so PLEASE no bashing....
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I would go within the first day or two. If you wait until later in the week the lines can be a lot longer. If you're passing through the area and there isn't a line just go up and ask that they be removed.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I never tip less than the suggested amount - almost always more, but the extra is in cash. I, too, like for them not to be on my S&S card, so we prepay them when we book the cruise. If you also always do the minimum, I suggest prepaying them. I also tip the steward an extra $10 or $20 on the first day to keep my minibar stocked with diet coke instead of the other stuff, and to keep my cooler filled with ice.

Jodi
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have a question about tipping. Husband and I do not plan on eating in the formal dining room each night. I think we should have the tips removed from our S&S card and just tip the cabin steward. We do not drink, and I don't think it's fair to tip a group of people that we will not be seeing. If you tip your cabin steward directly with cash, is he/she allowed to keep this entire amount? or do they have to divide it with other staff members?
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Admiral

From what I understand, The tip goes to the steward and all of the other people who clean your cabin and take care of it so he would be sharing it. I could be wrong but I thought thats what I read when the tips were explained to me.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Passenger

Remember, even if you don't eat in the formal dining room each night, you will still be eating somewhere, probably the buffet. Have you ever noticed who staffs the buffet during the day? The formal dining room staff. I remember talking with our evening waiter during the day while he was working on the buffet.
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

The tips for the dining staff include the staff in each and every one of the restaurants (less the supper club). I have noticed that my dining room staff also works on the lido deck. Maybe you could just decrease it a little, but I would not completely eliminate them. On two of my cruises, I never ate in the dining room, but I also never decreased my tips because they still refilled my drinks, cleared my plates, helped find tables, etc. They make so little to begin with, that I feel bad not giving what I can when they have been so helpful. I just include the tips as part of the cost of the cruise and always leave the minimum amount, regardless of my dining habits on the cruise.

Jodi
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

quote="judysalyers".......I have a question about tipping. Husband and I do not plan on eating in the formal dining room each night. I think we should have the tips removed from our S&S card and just tip the cabin steward.

Your assigned dining room waiters also work in the Lido dining area. You will be doing them an injustice if you remove their tips.

We do not drink, and I don't think it's fair to tip a group of people that we will not be seeing.

I assume you mean alcoholic drinks. 15% tip is added to every drink ordered from a bar. So - if you don't drink at all (alcoholic), it's a moot point. It has nothing to do with your automatic tips to the stewards or dining room waitstaff on the S&S account.

If you tip your cabin steward directly with cash, is he/she allowed to keep this entire amount? or do they have to divide it with other staff members?

Stewards, as well as waiters, have told me they are 'honor bound' to turn in any 'extra' tips (from people who have removed their auto tips). So - If you remove your tips, anything you give them in cash must be turned in - and divided with other crew members.

BEST thing is to leave the auto tips in place. That way, the tips will be given to those who deserve them.
[/b]

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!