Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChef
BTW....what does "bil" stand for????

Brother-in-law
Thank you
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Aloyouis, understand, I said that laws are enforced when ONVIEWED, meaning that when a peace officer sees a law being violated, then action is taken.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Aloyouis, understand, I said that laws are enforced when ONVIEWED, meaning that when a peace officer sees a law being violated, then action is taken.
Well I thought I was done......

Michael: This morning I watched an idiot DUMP his ash tray out at a red light! People who speed fear getting a ticket so they are careful. The same goes for other laws that are ENFORCED. Nobody fears throwing cigs everywhere because it isn't enforced. If the police issued tickets for even 1 out od 100 then word would get out. It happens SO OFTEN that they have to see it. They just don't do anything about it.

Maybe YOU do....but they don't here in Michigan.
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Michael: This morning I watched an idiot DUMP his ash tray out at a red light! People who speed fear getting a ticket so they are careful. The same goes for other laws that are ENFORCED. Nobody fears throwing cigs everywhere because it isn't enforced. If the police issued tickets for even 1 out od 100 then word would get out. It happens SO OFTEN that they have to see it. They just don't do anything about it.

Maybe YOU do....but they don't here in Michigan.
I have to agree with the above quote. If only I was a police officer.... I could have written thousands of tickets for this! I can't tell you how many times I've seen smokers throw their ciggs out their window, empty their ashtrays in parking lots, etc. You can't tell me that police officers enforce this issue. If they did we probably wouldn't see this as much as we do. Now enforcing speed limits-- I have seen great improvements on that, because they HAVE enforced that issue. In fact right here in my town... on my street. There have been so many cars that sped up and down my road here by my house. But now so many complaints have come in that they have added a stop sign and more police officers cruise the area. And over the last year I maybe saw 2 cars that still sped up going down the road here. That is WAY down from previous years... where I'd see at least 3 cars a day speeding on this road.

They do NOT enforce the littering issue whatsoever, not in my hometown here in MICHIGAN either.

Anyway, here is a part from the article here on CruiseMates about the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemates.com (Anne Campbell)
The fire started on the balcony of a suite, officials said, and quickly jumped to balconies on three decks covering roughly one quarter of the vessel's length. The flammable agent that caused the fire to spread so quickly is probably paint (external paint is flammable, I'm told).

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Beginner

I am all for non-smoking (as I am an ex-smoker), but if the police will not enforce the rules at home, how do you think the cruise line is going to force no smoking in your stateroom. This will just lead to more people smoking in their cabin or on their balcony where there is no ashtrays. This equals tossed cigarettes and probably more fires.
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:46 AM
First Mate

Well, this thread that started as an information source for the tragic fire aboard the Star Princess, has seemed to have come to the conclusion that a lit cigarette, (or Cuban cigar), is the definite cause. No one has mentioned any other possible ignition sources.

Personally, I have seen irons, (which are prohibited), and have smelled burning incence when out on my balcony. Has anyone ventured to point these out as possible sources? No, it is definitely the cigarette.

I read these boards daily, and sometimes ask an information question, or answer, to the best of my knowledge, to someone seeking specific info on a ships' policy or customary practices. This board is a valuable asset to those seeking such data.

A book could be written on the things people do or the overindulgencies they display on a cruise, that annoy me, but there won't be any threads written by myself that chastises those individuals. You see all types on a cruise. Some enjoyable, and some not so personable. The less savory characters have never spoiled my vacation as, on a ship with 3000+ passengers, I can distant myself from them.

Sometimes the info threads are amusing. I like reading ones like "Passenger falls off ( Ships' Name)." Now, how does someone "fall" off a ship with a railing that comes to chest high? By the time the tread gets to the second page, the "detectives" have surfaced who have fully assessed the situation. (No on has ever suggested banning alcohol on the ships, though. Wouldn't that be a riot?).

The fact that a cruise last week got ruined is terrible, and I hope it doesn't occur again soon. We'll all still cruise and have wonderful times and those will be the most pleasant memories.
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:38 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemates.com (Anne Campbell)
Imagine a fire so hot that steel balconies melt. The fire that erupted aboard Star Princess in the pre-dawn hours of March 22 is a very serious matter indeed, especially since it was most likely started by a cigarette tossed off the top deck of the vessel, according to cruise line executives I spoke to.
Now I'm sure others have read this same article I read or at least one similiar. Incase you haven't read it here's the link......

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...e/starfire.cfm

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Passenger

MOST smokers not all of them but MOST smokers are extremely inconsiderate. Notice that I said MOST smokers. If you are NOT in this catagory then you shouldn't be offended. These inconsiderate smokers simply don't care about anyone but themselves. They are going to satisify their nasty habit when the urge strikes them regardless. They smoke in arears designated non smoking especially on cruise ships. They Stand outside public buildings and blow smoke in your face as you try to walk past them. They smoke in non smoking hotel rooms if they can't get a smoking room. Stink up the rental cars. Oh and how about these little gems. They throw their lighted butts out the window while driving in the dry forest areas. They pull up to a red light and empty their ash tray on the street. I have even observed smokers puting cigarettes out on carpet floors. It makes you wonder if the nictoine causes the brain to commit these inconsiderate and disrectfull acts. So to those who believe that smoking should be banned on cruise ships. Wouldn't work ..they would smoke anyway. Telling them they can't wouldn't do a darn thing. After all they smoke in non smoking areas of the ship now don't they. ?