Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Passenger

Default Red,White & Blue contests How do you get involved?

How do you get involved with the R,W & B contests?

Do they have them on each cruise ship?

On our cruise last November, we didn't get involved with them, and we were kind of annoyed by all the announcements at dinner, etc.

Carnival Holiday Eastern Caribbean Feb 1986
Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean Nov 2005
Carnival Holiday Mexican Riviera April 2006
Princess Sun Princess Alaska May 2007
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

At dinner time, they announce how the different teams are at that point, they pretty much keep the contest going all week, but you mostly hear about it at dinner. There is really not much you have to do, just support your team when ever they ask for it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:31 PM
First Mate

This is about the only thing which annoys me about Carnival. In my opinion, it's a silly childish game. I believe you are assigned a color by your table number. You earn points for your color by participating in ship-board activities. For example, if you participate in karaoke they ask you what color group you belong to. Then, as Donna stated, they update your totals throughout the cruise - usually during dinner. You don't win anything, it's just bragging rights, I guess. It's very silly.
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Familiar Face

You win points for your team by winning competative shipboard contests, such as Survivor, the Newleywed/not-so-Newleywed game, the hairy man's chest contest, etc. The teams are assigned by your dining room table location, and points are updated at dinner. It is a lot like the points seen in Harry Potter and the Sorcer's/Philopopher's Stone without Professor Snape (or anyone else for that matter) coming and taking points away. You don't win anything for being on the winning team. I agree that it is quite silly, and more appropiate for a kid's summer camp. Still, everyone seems to enjoy it, so it can't be all bad.
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Oh my, such bad sports... . It doesn't hurt anybody and you don't have to participate if you don't want to. We thought it was rather fun ourselves and participated every chance we got. Of course, our Blue team won!! Woo Hooo

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Red,White & Blue contests How do you get involved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBabie61

On our cruise last November, we didn't get involved with them, and we were kind of annoyed by all the announcements at dinner, etc.
Amen.

Perhaps we don't understand it, but hubby and I both think the Red/White/Blue contest thing that has been pushed on our last cruises is just the dumbest thing. The best we can tell, the purpose is to get people to participate in shipboard activities?

Obviously some people get caught up in it, but we also find the announcements at dinner annoying.

Of course, some people probably find the waiters' singing and dancing annoying, so.....*shrugs*
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Beginner

Annoying?

The muster drill is annoying.
The color game is just a silly game with no prize. The announcement at dinnertime takes about 2 minutes, and if you eat fast, you're out of the restaurant before they do it. Even so, on a seven night cruise, I can put up with 14 minutes total of annoyance.

Carnival is a "fun" ship, and will have some things certain people call annoying. If you want boredom and peace and tranquility, book on Crystal.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Controlled
Annoying?

The muster drill is annoying.
The color game is just a silly game with no prize. The announcement at dinnertime takes about 2 minutes, and if you eat fast, you're out of the restaurant before they do it. Even so, on a seven night cruise, I can put up with 14 minutes total of annoyance.

I agree the muster drill is annoying but it is for safety, which we all know lately, that it is a good thing to do.

The announcements do not take long, but every time you play bingo or such and they have to ask you what team you are on, adds up to the total time of annoyance. I guess it bothered me, because I did not know what team I was on, we left right after dinner the 1st night. We were sitting by ourselves at dinner, so we didn't need to stay and chit chat with others at our table. I wish we had dinner companions. I know on my next cruise we will have dinner companions, at least, some of the time, since my son and his best friend will be joining us on the cruise. I hope they will sit with us for awhile and tell us what they have been up to during the day. 18 year olds, do not always like to be around parents, it just isn't cool.

Who knows maybe my DH will win the hairy chest contest and gets points for the team. I didn't even see that they had that contest on the Valor at Thanksgiving. Our son, Mike, wants to see if his hairy Dad will win.

Cruising on the Holiday for Easter next. Can't wait.

Carnival Holiday Eastern Caribbean Feb 1986
Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean Nov 2005
Carnival Holiday Mexican Riviera April 2006
Princess Sun Princess Alaska May 2007
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:52 PM
Passenger

I really think that if people want to have fun....great...have fun!
But I also think the colors game is childish.....I don't care if they do it...but do it at the pool , or at karoke, ..... just not during my dinner
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2001- Destiny (week of 9/11 tragedy)
2002- Pride ( February and September)
2003- Glory and Fascination
2004- Glory
2005- Valor
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
Beginner

Personally, I think they're a bit dumb. If you're on board, you're involved. You have no choice. What I can't stand about it is that they give points for anything. If you win at bingo, your team gets points. If you yell the loudest at dinner, your team gets points. It's a bit annoying if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these "I nit pick every single thing about the cruise", I love cruising. However, the color competition is a bit overboard...pardon the expression.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Go with the flow...enjoy...you are on VACATION!!!!! Who cares...just clap,or eat your meal geesh!!!!!
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Passenger

I hope I sit at your table! Good grief. Is everyone just wanting to complain so they can get a free trip, or what??? Can't we all just get along???
Old April 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Red,White & Blue contests How do you get involved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieBabie61

I wish there had been something like this on the Carnival Liberty Transatlantic last year. It was the most boring cruise I've ever been on. We cruised in November so evidently they don't have the contests on every ship.
Old April 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to tikilove81 Send a message via Yahoo to tikilove81

Oh my..... I can't believe how many boring people are on here! We did the color thing and it was a blast!!!...... Tell you whats boring is BINGO everyday!!!!!! This time we are going with a group of 20 or more and we will be bringing our own games as well. I agree its the FUN ship. Maybe there are some sore losers on here. Don't be a hater, be a participater!!! Hey anything that is Red, White and Blue I will be cheering for, afterall those are our county's colors right? I hope they still have that on our next cruise. And just for the boring people here I will make sure we cheer the loudest!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Passenger

At dinner, they will announce the temas for RW&B. It will depend on what table you are at. Recommend getting involved in as much as you can as far as RW&B activities. You will never sleep! Have fun!