Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Default Carnival Sensation - "nightmare cruise"

The first cruise after refurbishment just got back to major complaints. Here's a link to an article and video about it:

http://www.wesh.com/news/8294888/detail.html

Sounds like the refurbishment was really rushed and things just weren't completed correctly.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Poor Jodi, hope she was still able to enjoy her cruise.

Maybe she should have come to dinner with us instead of taking the cruise!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Passenger

Ouch! I am scheduled to sail her in May
And we were really looking forward to the trip.
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline

May is still a couple of weeks, they probably have the ship in order by then.
Have a great cruise!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old March 28th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Passenger

Whoa MichellP, that did sound like a nightmare!! My Carnival experience wasn't that bad so I will upgrade my experience to "Terrible" now. I can certainly understand the sentiment about never cruise with Carnival again.
Thanks for telling the truth. I read the review before I booked mine and they were seemed all good but boy I wish I had paid more to get a more enjoyable experience.
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

My family and I have really been loking forward to this cruise. I hope Jaqueline is right and they get everything fixed soon. We are cruising in May also.
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Here's another local news report and video.

http://www.wftv.com/news/8293146/detail.html

And more news stories.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...GNEWS/60327010

We're also cruising on the Sensation in May... I'm optimistic that these were "shakedown problems" post-refurb and everything will be smooth sailing shortly.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old March 28th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Not as bad as the media and a few loud, never happy, opinionated people made it out to be. Example: One of the chants started was Row, Row, Row Your Boat.....There was a lot of laughing, sighing, tired people, but the majority of the people just took it with a grain of salt. Someone said diabetics didn't get what they needed - I know for a fact that is wrong, because the door leading to the kitchen where they took diabetics to be fed and get medicine was just off the VIP lounge.

That is all I will say about it. I viewed it as a delayed flight, but I would get there, Shlt happens...get over it. We had a great cruise once on board and didn't let the delay ruin the cruise in any way shape or form....

I guess I view life as being way too short to get all upset about something so minor in the grand scheme of life.

Jodi
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to CanesFan1 Send a message via MSN to CanesFan1 Send a message via Yahoo to CanesFan1

I took my wife and kids on the Sensation 2 years ago out of Tampa. This was my 4th Carnival Cruise and my Wife's first. Sewage smell in our hallway at all times, our room was really filthy when we arrived. We even found a pair of dirty panties in one of the drawers, which was a real treat. Don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but this ship was gross BEFORE Hurricane Katrina, I can't even imagine the shape now. They just rushed it back into operation to generate revenue I'm sure. My personal thoughts are that this ship needs a complete overhaul.
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Admiral

I will agree with that - the ship was not ready to come out of drydock.

Jodi
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Passenger

I think I saw "Delayed" status on the Sensation on the news...Carnival Sensation ship failed the fire inspection test conducted by safety inspectors and they wouldn't let it sail under they met the fire inspection requirements. They mentioned several fails and Carnival had to fixed or it is a NO-GO. To me this is serious, folks !! Wondered if Carnival told those passengers the real reason why they couldn't sail on scheduled time.
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn1
Not as bad as the media and a few loud, never happy, opinionated people made it out to be. Example: One of the chants started was Row, Row, Row Your Boat.....There was a lot of laughing, sighing, tired people, but the majority of the people just took it with a grain of salt. Someone said diabetics didn't get what they needed - I know for a fact that is wrong, because the door leading to the kitchen where they took diabetics to be fed and get medicine was just off the VIP lounge.

That is all I will say about it. I viewed it as a delayed flight, but I would get there, Shlt happens...get over it. We had a great cruise once on board and didn't let the delay ruin the cruise in any way shape or form....

I guess I view life as being way too short to get all upset about something so minor in the grand scheme of life.

Jodi
Hey, we were delayed 9+ hours by Delta on our flight back from our Pride cruise. Think I can get $50 a person from them????

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 28th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Passenger

Default sensation

I have been so excited about my upcoming cruise in May on sensation, (my previous cruise on RC was horrible!) but this news has made me a little wary. I actually called carnival today just to ease my mind. The CSR was very friendly and understood my concerns. He assured me that the kinks have been worked out and by the time I go, in 37 days (yay) that everything will be fine.
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

There are always a few kinks when a ship returns from drydock. The Sensation, as a whole, is still a great ship. I've cruised on her twice, the last time just prior to her FEMA service. I found NO sewage odors or any other problems. None. One of my best cruises, with a wonderful staff and crew, great food and entertainment.

Things happen from time to time on ALL ships on ALL cruiselines. Don't let this put a damper on you people who have upcoming cruises scheduled for the Sensation. The problems will be solved, and she'll be all sparkly and pretty for your cruise! Think positive. You'll all have wonderful cruises!

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Admiral

We were told that there were issues the Coast Guard required them to fix prior to sailing and that they had someone coming in to fix it. Once it was fixed it took a while longer to get the Certificate of Insurance.

The main issue people had was the long times between announcements, had they just come on more than every three hours (like every half hour) and announce they still don't have an update, but we know you are still out there....It would have been much better. Those of us will Cells were able to get more information from out TAs and TV stations than what CCL was giving out.

Jodi
Old March 29th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Passenger

Default Wonder about the Holiday???

I wonder if they will make sure that the Holiday will be ready for sailing. I sure hope so, I am sailing on 4-15.

I hope I don't get kicked off the ship, I can become very upset when things do not go as well as they should. I will have to control my bad temper, if the cruise doesn't go great.

I will have to make sure I get letters out to the big guy at Carnival, to state my complaints, if I do have any. Maybe I will get a nice discount on my next cruise.

Carnival Holiday Eastern Caribbean Feb 1986
Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean Nov 2005
Carnival Holiday Mexican Riviera April 2006
Princess Sun Princess Alaska May 2007
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Beginner

There were bound to be some problems after six months of dry dock. It is sad that Carnival rushed in to make money from the Sensation. In any cruise line's defense, when complaining to a cruiseship captain it is like complaining to an airline pilot. It's something you just don't do for your safety as well as their's. They are not management, the purser's desk is there for formal complaints or the corporate office.

On behalf of the passengers, Carnival could have probably done a better job at increasing the shipboard credit $100 feels like a real gift/partial refund. It's not like they made the relaunch of Sensation a "cheap" cruise, they charged the regular off season rates. I almost went on the Sensation but chose the Fantasy , I had a better chance to avoid the problems that occured on the Sensation.

I cruise 3/30 on Fantasy my third Carnival cruise.
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, hopefully all the ships will get everything worked out after refurbishing. My daughter is currently rehearsing on the Ecstasy while it's in dry dock, and she said construction crews are working pretty much around the clock. She hasn't been getting much sleep on her days off, but the good news is she says the soft serve ice cream machine is working just great!
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Jodi, you should try a line other than Carnival, just to have something to compare.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Jodi, you should try a line other than Carnival, just to have something to compare.
Not aware that I tried to make any comparisions.

Have no desire to pay more money and cruise less on other cruiselines when right now, I am quite pleased with Carnival.

Don't get me wrong, I price other cruiselines everytime I am looking for a cruise, but they just don't measure up in points that I consider (Not just price) and I use a lot of the information I read here....I take the good and the bad and make a decision.

My decision right now is to "Pay Less, Cruise More" - this has allowed me to cruise between 9/05 and 9/06 on a 12-night, a 4-night and two 7-night cruises. (33 days in total).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jodi
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Admiral

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jodi[/quote]

I certainly join you in that sentiment, it's just that, well -- variety is the spice of life.[/quote]

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Admiral

True, variety is the spice of life, but I am on a pepper budget with saffron taste. This makes variety hard for me to accomplish...

Jodi
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Amen sister, I hear ya there

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 31st, 2006, 03:20 PM
First Mate

The media was just chomping at the bit to get over to Port Canaveral to get a good story once the ship returned- let's find people who can really give us a good story and SENSATIONALIZE it! I don't think it was as bad by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps there were mistakes made but clearly I've been impacted by more in my life. Let's move on people.
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Chris, Having been a passenger on that sailing, I agree whole heartedly. It wasn't as bad as the media made it out to be. I had a blast, possiably the most fun I have ever had on my many CCL cruises.

Jodi
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:09 PM
Beginner

Default Upset guests

These people got what they diserved. I have worked for carnival for 4 years and some guests are unreasonable and threat the pursers. It takes a lot for a Captain to make a move like that so you can bet that you are only hearing one side of the story. A little respect when complaining is better than being demanding.