Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default carnival or royal caribbean?

Which do you prefer and why?
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Captain

i would said carnival i have had good luck with carnival the price were good the staff alwyas frindely and helpfull food great shoes fun
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Ran43

I like Carnival...I have always found RCCL to die out to early leaving a large part of the evening with little to no activities.
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Passenger

RCL....never again!! If I wanted to sleep those kind of hours I would have become a Merchant Marine.........Boring hrmphhhh!!!! Ted Kennedy, pass the bitters, your cherry is laying on the floor
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddletoe53
i would said carnival i have had good luck with carnival the price were good the staff alwyas frindely and helpfull food great shoes fun
How can food be helpful, and do the shoes really make any difference?
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Cheryl:

I've sailed both lines and like both. I prefer Carnival for the food (although on my recent cruise I was very surprised by RCL's food. It was much better) and the room size. I think RCL's service is slightly better and entertainment is about the same. I decide on an itinery and length and then start looking. Whichever line is less expensive is what I go with. On my last cruise RCL was less expensive, we got a free upgrade to an oceanview (at the time of booking) and we did one more port (we like port intensive cruises). I really don't think you can go wrong with either line.

Darcy
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Captain

popeye you only reply to this is just to point out my mistake
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, Popeye. Not nice.

Back to the question at hand.......

I've cruised both Carnival and RCI. There are some differences, but each has good points.

Carnival - MUCH larger cabins, better food in my opinion, and friendlier staff and crew.

RCI - MUCH prettier ships, especially in the pool areas and dining rooms.

Entertainment is about the same on both lines. I'm not a night owl, so the late night activities don't phase me one way or the other. Around midnight, most of the lounges are going strong, so I choose a quiet lounge for a nightcap and head for my cabin. Seems to be about the same on both lines as far as lounges at night.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Thanks for all your replys. We like sea days and would prefer 3 sea days (on a 7 day cruise). I think I will take your suggestion Darcy and look at where it is going and then the prices. My daughter wants to go on the Freedom of the seas just because of the ice skating, rock climbing, etc. LIttle does she know that the lines will prob be so long -- but it intices people on the ships. I have only cruised carnival and have had no problems with them. Hard to experiment as you might put it with the prices you pay for the cruise! Thanks to all of you!
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

[color=darkblue]I myself, prefer Royal Caribbean over Carnival, but its just little things that I noticed, I'd still cruise again with Carnival if it was the right ship and itinary. I thought the food was pretty close on both lines, it just seemed like the portions on Carnival were smaller, and I'm not a huge eater. At least the Royal CAribbean ships we've been on, the cabins were equal in size to Carnival, but much liked the lay-out of the RCL cabin.

Also, Freedom of the Seas will be a new ship, so I bet the prices will be up there, at least until the sister ship comes out the following year. We are going in Sept. and got some good group prices, I can't wait to try that. These big Royal Caribbean ships are especially nice when cruising with kids/families. I've also not had any problem with waiting in lines on these ships, I did find that to be a problem on Carnival. The lay-out of the RCL buffet's are done in different stations and both the same forward and back, so there is never any lines, you just get the things you want instead of going through the same line for everything.[/color
]

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 31st, 2006, 01:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

quote="Donna....... At least the Royal CAribbean ships we've been on, the cabins were equal in size to Carnival, but much liked the lay-out of the RCL cabin....

No, they aren't equal in size. Carnival is well known for having the largest cabins of any cruiseline.

The lay-out of the RCL buffet's are done in different stations and both the same forward and back, so there is never any lines, you just get the things you want instead of going through the same line for everything...

Have you actually been on any of the Carnival ships? Only the oldest Carnival ships still have the two buffet lines. The last ten or so Carnival ships built have several different food stations.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:30 PM
First Mate

Carnival, hands down!
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:31 PM
Beginner

We sailed on Carnival last July and just finished our RCI cruise two days ago. Overall, I agree with BlueChef's assessment. A couple of my own comments - first, this appears to be a competitive industry and things seem to change fairly quickly. For example, we heard there was no lobster night on our RCI cruise as of Feb 06, yet we had lobster night in March. Also, not sure why, but we started getting towel animals on RCI the last two days of our cruise - woo hoo!

One very noteworthy difference I noticed was that we never waited in line on RCI for boarding, dining, disembarking, or tendering to ports of call. We always waited in long lines on Carnival.

That aside, I still enjoyed our Carnival cruise a little more because of the activities and the friendly staff (some RCI staff were downright rude).

Either way, you can't go wrong if you set your mind on having a good time and don't sweat the small stuff!
Old April 1st, 2006, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Hi Blue,
I agree, some of the older Royal CAribbean ships do have some of the smallest cabins, but the Voyager and Radiance class has very decent sized cabins. I even had an aft cabin on Voyager that was larger than any cabin I've had. I also had an aft cabin on Glory, and those balconies were just regular sized, not the huge ones you get on the back of Royal Caribbean. So, until you've had a cabin on one of the newer ships, I wouldn't say CArnival's are the biggest.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 1st, 2006, 02:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well I hate a mystery so I did some research to find out who indeed has the larger cabins. Turns out you are both right!
For my experiment I chose the Freedom of the Seas and the Conquest. Both Balcony cabins.
Carnival balcony cabins are 185 sq ft.
http://carnival.com/CMS/Staterooms/C...taterooms.aspx

The Freedom of the Seas has two classes of balcony.
The Deluxe Balcony is 173 sq ft
The Superior Balcony is 202 sq ft
http://www.destinationoceans.com/cru...asp?ShipID=248

So it really depends on the room you book as to the size you get.
Enjoy!
Carnival Paradise
NCL Dream
Carnival Elation
Carnival Conquest
Golden Princess
Old April 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to GYMNASTQUEENVAL

Hi"
I agree with you Donna. have been on 3 of the Voyager Ships and only one Carnival Legend cruise. I find the cabins (balcony cabin for all my cruises) to be larger. I also enjoy Rc over Carnival. I find the layout of the ship more easy access to areas. The pool area a lot nicer. The staff a lot more considerate. All of the programs (kids programs)(activitty programs) etc to be higher quality. I WILL NEVER cruise Carnival cruiseline again, even if it was offered to sail for FREE!!!!! I have cruised 15+ cruises and the Legend cruise had to be the worse one I ever was on.
Crown Princess 8/10-8/19/07
Crown Princess 8/19-8/28/07
Freedom 10/7-10/14/07
Explorer 6/5-14/08
Mariner 8/17-24/08
Liberty 10/11-18/08

Future Cruise's
Adventure 06/07/09-06/21/09
Old April 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM
Admiral

OK........I think it is unanomous -- it is pretty much an equal response about both lines. I guess it depends on what you like - and what experiences you have had in the past. I guess I'll look at it from this standpoint. If they are going where I want to go and the price is right, Ill hop on the ship. A cruise is what you make of it I guess. I have only cruised Carnival --- AND have had only ONE bad experience on the Conquest which was beyonds carnivals control. They well made up the inconvenience tho and we had a wonderful time despite the mishaps.
Old April 1st, 2006, 07:30 PM
Admiral

HI Cheryl,
I totally agree with you, and I don't think you'll have a problem on either cruiseline. Pick an itinary thats right for you and see what ships stop there and go from there, you can't go wrong. I think both cruiselines are very close in most areas, just different decors in the ships and that could be in the same cruiseline, each ship is a bit different.

Let us know what you decide, OK?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 1st, 2006, 09:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Carnival or Royal Carribean

I agree with BlueChef on the differences between the two lines. Recent sailings have been Legend and Valor (Carnival) and Jewel of the Seas (RCCL). The decor on Legend with all the urns and dark, dark atrium didn't like at all. Valor was great on food, balcony cabin and entertainment, but the pool was way too small for the number of passengers. Jewel was a beautiful ship, nice cabin (D1), great pools, but the dining room menu very limited. Prices on Royal Carribean are out of sight, Carnival: they win on more bang for your buck.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Beginner

I have sailed both Carnival (C) and Royal Caribbean (RC). I like Carnival better, but just for stupid little things. Both are great. I've been on C Destiny, Triumph, Imagination and Glory and RC Adventure of the Seas. Loved the ice show on RC and the boat itself. Very nice layout. Those are the only things I like better on RC. C has bigger towels to lay out with, I think the balcony rooms are bigger on C, there are more free drink stations open on C (I could never find one on RC and all I drink is iced tea), the lounge chairs are the strappy ones that you fall through on RC- C has mesh chairs, C has a bath robe in the room for you to use....ect.
Like I said, just stupid little things that added up. I think you would be happy with either though. See who you can ge thte best deal with...

Good luck and have fun!!!
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Passenger

Chairs are different on RCCL ships, for example...Voyager and Serenade have different chairs.

This is my experience with both lines.

Carnival is a cheap cruiseline for party people, Las Vegas look interior, cheap American entertainment etc...I almost wanna say...cheap people too. I never make that mistake again to cruise with Carnival. The names says it all...carnival.

Royal Caribbean is a more classic cruiseline with beautiful ships, lot of art, great pooldecks, beautiful dining rooms etc. I notice a difference in the passengers between both lines.

Royal Caribbean seems to me more like a premium cruiseline than Carnival.