CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Porter, Excursion & Shuttle Tips…what do you pay? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/311814-porter-excursion-shuttle-tipsa-what-do-you-pay.html)

RobRen April 1st, 2006 11:20 PM

Porter, Excursion & Shuttle Tips…what do you pay?

I always worry if we’re giving the going rate for tips. I’m not talking about tips for great service, that I can figure out. I’m talking about tips for everyday average service. Like when the hotel van picks you up at the airport and takes you to the hotel. Or when you order a shuttle service to pick you up at home and take you to the airport. Or what about porters at the pier? Yes, I know that I could give anything I want, but is the amount that I give in line with everyone else?

So how have we figured out this amount so far? We always abide by the unwritten law that says, “never ask anyone sitting next to you what they are going to tip.? Our normal method is to catch a glimpse of what other people are tipping. My husband and I carefully watch to see what others are pulling out of their wallets. Then we have a discussion and figure out our amount. Sometimes it’s hard because everyone likes to fold their tip money. Lately I’ve been noticing that other couples are watching too. That’s good, it means we’re not alone in our uncertainty.

So here’s my question. For a family of three, what do you tip for average service for the following:
1) Excursions
2) Airport shuttle to hotel
3) Hotel shuttle to pier
4) Porters at pier
5) Shuttle van that picks you up at home and drops you off at the airport

Irish Shark April 2nd, 2006 03:27 PM

So here’s my question. For a family of three, what do you tip for average service for the following:
1) Excursions - Nothing
2) Airport shuttle to hotel - $5
3) Hotel shuttle to pier - $5
4) Porters at pier - $1/BAG OR $5 MIN
5) Shuttle van that picks you up at home and drops you off at the airport

I uses a limo, so they get 15% automatically.

Fern April 2nd, 2006 06:35 PM

Hi RobRen,

I agree with Irish Shark, except for the ship's shore excursions. If the guide is just "reciting" from a script we usually tip $5.00 for the two of us. If the guide is actually educating us about their area, answering questions, and being friendly we'll tip $10.00 for the two of us.

That being said, we tip less to a guide who stands outside the van with his hand out after the tour!

Every once in a while we'll tip the driver $5.00 if they help the guide.

We never tip the assistant driver, or whoever he is, who sits in the front seat next to the driver. I've never figured out what he does!

I'm sure there will be some disagreement about this, but we're known as "over-tippers" LOL !

Have a wonderful cruise,

Darcy April 2nd, 2006 09:15 PM

I only tip the guides on the shore excursions if they've done something to make my trip more interesting or informative. Shuttle service - $5, Porters - $2 bag.

Will April 2nd, 2006 11:32 PM

I agree with Darcy 100%,and I tip excursion drivers based on knowledge of their own countries history,and whether I see,or smell liquor on him,or her.I don't drink and drive,and want them to do the same.Had a driver actually stop during our city tour of Belize to get beer to drink.I know this was only a horse,and carriage tour,but the nerve....gave him 2 2 dollar bills(4 dollar tip) afterwards.

jhp April 3rd, 2006 09:02 AM

Will,
You need to let me know who that was.... Heck, Ill have him grab a few for me....

It seems that all tipping described above is inline with how I tip. The most important one is the porter at the pier. You need to make sure your luggage gets on board...

Will April 3rd, 2006 03:19 PM

jhp, I thought it was very comical,but my wife didn't see it that way.Actually punched me in the side because this guy stopped,and went into the cafe....like I told him to do it.He was only in there for a few minutes,but she did not like the area.Actually he did offer us beer,but my wife slapped my hand when I reached out to get it....so no free beer for me.She did not want me to tip him at all.