Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Passenger

Default Recommendations Excursions - San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola

We are sailing on the Legend on 5/12. This is our first cruise and per the good advice we got here, we are going to book excursions through Carnival. Does anyone have any good recommendations for excursions? There are two of us, we like to be active, but are also interested in historical sites and I guess shopping if it's something special. We are trying to pick what would be best to do where (shop in San Juan, hike in St. Thomas or vice versa or whatever). The times we arrive (not until 3PM in San Juan, 7AM elsewhere) would govern what we do, too.

Thanks!!

Lo
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Hi,

My DH and I also love historical sites. I highly recommend the forts in Old San Juan. They are magnificent and the walk up there will give you some exercise. HAHAHA Also take the public ferry from the docks across the bay for the Bacardi tour. The ferry is .75 round trip per person. The cab from the ferry to Bacardi is $3 per person and the tour is free with two free drinks. Its worth the trip and probably the cheapest thing you'll do the entire cruise. HAHAA

There are so many things to do in St. Thomas that I didn't get a chance to do but I'll let others make recommendations for those.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Admiral

In San Juan - look into a tour up into the rainforest - its it beautiful. Walking around Old San Juan and Ft. El Morro is also very interesting - you can do this on your own without a tour.
St. Thomas - beautiful beaches with great snorkeling- great shopping. If you want to do some hiking then you would need to get over to St. John Island - short ferry ride. A large part of St. John is a National Park and there are lots of hiking trails to choose from. I don't know if Carnival offers any type of hiking excursions or if you would need to do it on your own. IF you want to discover St. Thomas just hire a cab for a few hours and have them drive you around the island.
Old April 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

You're going to love the Carnival Legend!! We did this same cruise 2 years ago and are going back again in June.

Even though Carnival says arrival time in San Juan is 3 pm, if no problems are encountered enroute from New York, you'll be docked by 2 pm. Since you like to hike, as soon as you get off the ship, hike up to El Morro and explore this beautiful fort. Do this first, as the fort closes around 5 or 6 pm. Then take a stroll thru the streets of Old San Juan, with perhaps a stop at Senor Frogs for a cocktail or two.

St. Thomas is your best bet for shopping, but a word of advice. If you are looking for something in particular, do your homework before you leave as to what the going price is for the item you want. You would be surprised at how many people pay more in St. Thomas for an item they could have gotten cheaper at home!! But leave the shopping for the afternoon. In the morning, take a cab over to Coki Beach (coral world is next door!!), Sapphire beach, or Magens Bay (can get crowded) and enjoy the morning on the sand or in the water. Or you could head over to St. John and Trunk Bay (very popular).

In Tortola, book an excursion with Carnival, over to the Baths in Virgin Gorda. A little hiking and climbing is involved here so this may be right up your alley!! I always book with Carnival here because of the short time at this port (leave at 2 pm), and I don't want to worry about getting back to the ship late.

Back on board the Legend, as soon as you board in New York, be sure to make a reservation at the Golden Fleece supper club, for at least one night during the cruise. The $30. surcharge per person is well worth the experience!!!

Have a GREAT cruise!!!
Previous Cruises since 1985 Carnival (32) - Holiday X4, Jubilee, Celebration X3, Fantasy X2, Ecstasy, Sensation X2, Fascination X2, Destiny X2, Victory, Triumph X2, Glory X2, Legend X3, Pride X2, Miracle X3, Dream, Splendor
Cunard - Countess
NCL - Norway
Premier - Rembrandt
Celebrity - Zenith
RCI - Explorer of the Seas

Old April 8th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Lo