Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Beginner

Default 1st time on carnival......Cruising with kids, hints???

We are planning a cruise in December to the W. Caribbean with a large family group. This will be our 2nd cruise (1st one on RCI) Would love to get any hints from anyone with hints on carnival cruise lines, or just about the experience of cruising with kids. (ages 6, 9, 13) Going to be on Valor
Thanks
J & J
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Carnival has pizza and soft serve ice cream available 24/7 in the Lido buffet area. Every Carnival cruise we've been on, the kids are virtually swarming around there!
Old April 8th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I've cruised the western carribean with my kids several times. I've found everyone has a good time when we pick activities that the kids will enjoy such as swimming with the stingrays (Grand Cayman), river tubing (Belize), snorkeling, swimming with the sea lions/dolphins, helmet diving, etc. While I would love to see the ruins, I know my kids wouldn't be interested and that's something we'll do when we go on our own. The same with a city tour. When its just me and DH we do the things we're interested in. Other than that, relax and have fun. If you want to see a more detailed description of what we've done you can check out my reviews on this board. Two are under Carnival Inspiration and one under Carnival Miracle. Thay are under either "Darcy" or "Darcy Lowe". Hope you have a great time!
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 8th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Camp Carnival: Be sure to check it out; your kids will be in different groups, but not to worry; the counselors are great and they'll meet friends their own age. The don't have to stay there for a set amount of time; go to the information meeting/sign-up on the first night and you'll get the kids schedule for the week. Go over it with them so they can pick and choose what they might like (once they meet a few friends, they might want to spend even more time in camp!). It will give everyone a chance to do their own thing and there will be a lot of time left over to all be together.

Sail and Sign Cards: You do not have to activate the kids account; there's nothing they really need to buy anyway and you won't have to worry if they lose their card. At check-in, they'll ask you if you want them activated or not.

Dinner time: With kids, I would recommend requesting one of the early (main) dinner times. That way, they'll be able to enjoy some of the Camp Carnival activities after dinner.

We've sailed on 3 Carnival cruises with our kids (started when they were 11 and 13) and we've always had a great time. Enjoy your cruise.
Old April 8th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Besides Camp Carnival, there is an arcade they might enjoy if they run out of other 'fun stuff' to do. I doubt they will be saying "Mom, I'm borrrred."

I'd like to say something, and I hope you take it in the right way - Please do remember that the walls are very thin between cabins. I had one miserable cruise with kiddies next door. The parents did not seem to care that they were whooping and hollering at all hours. I very nicely spoke with the parents a couple of times, to no avail.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old April 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Admiral

We went on Valor Jan.2005 and the girls were 7,13. The eldest would go to Camp activities once or twice per day-she went on her own or we would would walk her one way and know when/where she was to meet us,etc.;the younger one usually one activity per day. We were so busy with the Port excursions, early supper, shows- there was not a lot of time!!
Scot from Scotland was the 13yr.old's counsellor. Very nice. There were not too many kids aboard when we went, but there should be lots if you go during Xmas time!!!!!
Remember to try the pizza, deli sandwiches(pretty yummy);fish&chips(which we just did not have time to do!)
Remember the younger(<9yrs.?) wear wristbands while on the cruise. That is in case there is ever an emergency that they know where the child belongs (for the lifeboats).
The slide is fun-not too scary as I went on it once!!-check the 'open' times in the Capers and remember it is closed when very windy.
Ask more questions if you have anymore. You have lots of time for finding out info before your Dec. cruise! Have a good cruise! Brenda
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Kids

Yes, my dc love to cruise. Ask what you would like to know and it will be easier for us to assist you.

There is so many activity on a Carnival cruise. There are tons of things for kids to do. What are the children's ages? Camp Carnival is from 2 years old - 16 years old.
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

My kids love Camp Carnival. They even had a "sleepover" for the kids one night....and they had a blast. Every night after dinner, that was the first thing they wanted to do was go to Camp Carnival.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Passenger

Default Camp Carnival

I believe the best camp onboard for children is Carnival's....My 7 year old and 12 yr old grandkid just loved it. They were busy all the time with different things to do. Including the computer which they both love. Trying to get them out for lunch or dinner was a hassel...They did not want to leave. They also made many friends at the camp.
This is how I would rate camps onboard for kids so far.
1-Carnival
2-Royal Caribbean
3-Princess
Marilyn