Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Beginner

Default Can you bring alcohol on a cruise?

I'm sure they don't check your luggage...or do they?? Is it ok to bring liquor rather than bringing it on the ship? I know this sounds stupid...but I'm curious.
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Admiral

I'm sure you have probably read a hundred posts on this subject. You probably have already checked on Carnival's website. Limited wine and champagne yes; the rest no.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 12th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Marc said:

Quote:
I'm sure you have probably read a hundred posts on this subject. You probably have already checked on Carnival's website. Limited wine and champagne yes; the rest no.
Don't be so sure, Marc (unless you actually know bethann?)! I didn't know anything about cruising the first time we went. I didn't know about this site either!

Hi bethann,

Not a stupid question at all! Officially it is against the rules to bring liquor onboard. However, I've heard of people wrapping it very carefully and packing it in their checked luggage. I think most people who do this drink it in their cabin, not in public places.

You can bring a bottle or two of wine or champagne onboard in your carry on. They may or may not charge you a corkage fee of, I think, $15.00/bottle. Sometimes they're very strict about the fee, other times they aren't!

The cost of drinks onboard is similar to the cost in a restaurant at home.

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:22 PM
First Mate

8) We have cruised 7 times and have always taken 2-3 bottles of wine
along in our checked luggage. On our last 2 cruises we have taken
along a 2 liter soft drink and several 2 oz bottles of alcohol. We fix
ourselves a drink to enjoy in our cabin before dinner. When out and
about on the ship, we pruchase our alcohol. We have always packed
this in our checked luggage without any problems. However, we always
pack the bottles in ziplock bags and pack our clothes in large garbage
bags incase of breakage. This has worked out great. If the cruise line
is really scanning all our luggage then they will see the alcohol and have
the opportunity to take it from us, but they never do. For us it is a
matter of convience, and also saving a few bucks. But the saved bucks
usually get spent on other items in the gift shop
Have a wonderful cruise and don't worry.
Happy Sailing.......................
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Can you bring alcohol on a cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethann20
I'm sure they don't check your luggage...or do they?? Is it ok to bring liquor rather than bringing it on the ship? I know this sounds stupid...but I'm curious.
Beth, there are no stupid questions, but sometimes you might get stupid answers.

Carnival does not allow hard liquor or beer to be brought onto the ship. Some people do manage get it on board by putting it in checked luggage. And YES, your luggage IS checked - through x-ray. IF they happen to see your bottles, they could be confiscated and held until the last day. However, this isn't likely.

Wine, champagne, soft drinks, water - all allowed to be brought on.

I have found the mixed drinks and after-dinner liqueurs to be about the same price as in land based restaurants/lounges.

To avoid spillage, pack your bottle(s) in bubblewrap and then in the large ziploc freezer bags and put among your clothing in your checked luggage. The wine/champagne can be brought on in your carry-on luggage. If they see it, they'll say "Have a nice cruise." and that's it. YOu can take it straight to your cabin. ENJOY!

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old April 15th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Toas Warnstadt

On Carnival you can have alcohol delivered to your room upon departure by calling 1-800-438-6744, ext. 70039. Be prepared to pay about double the normal price, but it beats smuggling and risking breakage.
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

The wife and I only bring what we have too. After a few cruises under our belt, we've learned the hard way. The less you can bring, the better off you are.

You could probadly wrap a bottle( plastic) or 2 in your suitcase, and get away with it. I've seen people bring water bottles filled with Ginn, Vodka, and ect. on board . They normally do this to save money. I personally do not.

Happy Cruising;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:58 PM
First Mate

Iftheywould charge a reasonable amt.for drinks on board, we would not be having this discussion over and over on this board. many say this is not a problem from where they reside but all of us do not live in New York and other large metro areas.
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

we have always stopped at a liquor store prior to getting on the ship and bought a plastic bottle of burbon for drinks in our room in the evening, the plastic bottles you dont have to worry about them breaking, if your flying in its a different story , the airlines will not let you have burbon in you check in for it is flammable, our room steward kept our burbon on ice the entire cruise, maybee the 20 dollar tip the first day helped, dont be afraid of taking a little something on board with you whats the worst that could happen they find it and throw it away ,, i have never heard ofg this happening they see it all the time.
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

we have always stopped at a liquor store prior to getting on the ship and bought a plastic bottle of burbon for drinks in our room in the evening, the plastic bottles you dont have to worry about them breaking, if your flying in its a different story , the airlines will not let you have burbon in you check in for it is flammable, our room steward kept our burbon on ice the entire cruise, maybee the 20 dollar tip the first day helped, dont be afraid of taking a little something on board with you whats the worst that could happen they find it and throw it away ,, i have never heard ofg this happening they see it all the time.
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Admiral

you can bring aboard a resonable amount of wine and champagne in your carry-on luggage. Hard alcohol is not allowed, many folks do however, smuggle it in in their checked baggage, have been hearing more rumors of cruise lines cracking down on "smuggled" bottles.
The avergae cost of a good quality bar drink is about the same as you would pay at home at a nice restaurant or tavern. You will pay extra for the frou-frou drinks, buy those during the drink of the day specials
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Passenger

meh, we've always brought alcohol (both wine and hard liqor) in our checked suitcases, and we've never had a problem. you really take a chance, i guess. on our last cruise, we wern't even checked, my cousin had a bottle of vodka in her purse, put it through the security scanner in port canaveral and they didn't confiscate it... it was new years eve though and there were huge lines waiting to get into the terminal because the ship was at 100% capacity... to tell you the truth i dont think they even had a space set up to check bags like they usually do in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale

Carnival Victory
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to visusie
Default Cheers!

I can't speak for all of the Carnival cruises- but the past 2 years in a row, we've taken the Destiny out of Puerto Rico. There's a liquor store right there prior to boarding the ship. You practically have to go through the store to get onboard-lol. The prices for liquor are dirt cheap and we bought several bottles of the hard stuff. No questions asked. There is a bleary-eyed, bored guy when boarding, at a little folding table with a little sign for declaring booze. UMMmmmm.- Smile, walk on by. Just stick the bottles in your carry on. Two other fellow passengers in front of us were pretty tanked and told us how they were on their third trip to the store to provision for the week! Anyway, I'm hoping things haven't changed.
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Admiral

It was exactly like that when boarded on Destiny in San Juan. I had the bottles in my cabin but never drank it outside of my cabin. I still ended up with a $500 bar tab so I think Carnival did just fine and I didn't cheat them at all.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Admiral

It was exactly like that when boarded on Destiny in San Juan. I had the bottles in my cabin but never drank it outside of my cabin. I still ended up with a $500 bar tab so I think Carnival made their booze money off of me.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

yo can put it in your luggage and they will never know!!!
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Passenger

OH, whatever you do, don't try to smuggle anything in your luggage that you are not allowed to have. They DO check. As far as alcohol, I believe you are allowed one bottle of chanpagne (call and ask). And no fruit coming back...they will see it in your luggage and the fines are HEFTY> Have fun.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Beginner

My last carnival cruise my companion and I packed several bottles of liquor in our luggage, and 4 bottles of champagne, we watched as they xrayed the bags and then the agent motioned to me and said "You know what you have in that bag there, I'd like some of that" and he motioned us through. I also had two bottles of champagne in a small ice chest to enjoy while we were waiting for the ship to depart however we were late arriving to the ship and the baggage handler asked if I would like to have the ice chest delivered to my room. I was shocked but happily allowed them to deliver my cold champagne to my room. Our room steward kept the ice chest full for us at all times and made sure there was always a bottle of champagne chilling.
I ordered a bottle of wine at dinner the first night and from then on carried in my own glass of champagne. There were a lot of people on board drinking their own smuggled spirits.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Pack your booze in bubble wrap in your luggage,and tip the porters 2 dollars per bag to be taken on board,and enjoy your cruise....no need to pour them in soda bottles.YOU WILL!! still have an expensive booze bill when you leave...they KNOW this.If you have to sneak it on board...you WILL buy theirs at some point.....they know this.