Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Familiar Face

Default Booked Conquest. Stay in Houston or Galveston?

Hi folks. Its been a while since posting. Just booked the Conquest for Dec.31st of this year. Only 261 days to go. lol A couple of questions since we have never been to Houston or Galveston. Anyways, about the night before the cruise. Is it better to stay in Houston or Galveston? Any suggestions on hotels in Galveston? Also, does anyone know what Carnival charges per person for the bus after the cruise back to the Houston airport? Thanks.
Dave

Jan 2006 Valor
Jan 2005 Triumph
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Being from the Houston/Galveston area, I can give you an insight. First thing... New Year's Eve??? You better get a place now because the hotels are going to be packed!! I would stay in Galveston so I would not be rushed to get to the dock. Seriously though, get that room booked asap because you will get stuck out. All of the hotels in Houston are going to be packed as well. Good luck and.... get going!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Default I agree

I agrre with mehawk that you had better book now. If you stayed downtown Houston you are looking at approx. 45 minutes of traveling to Galveston.

Old April 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Familiar Face

Default Best Western

Thanks Michael. I will be on the ship New Years Eve and in the hotel the night before. Any thoughts on the Best Western Beachfront in Galveston?
Dave
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival charged $33.00 per person for bus transportation to Bush Intl after the cruise.

Monarch of the Seas - December 2006
Elation - April 2006
Sensation - May 2005
Old April 15th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Dave, the BIG NAME chains on Seawall Blvd. are all clean places. I have stayed in a couple when DF and I have gone to Galveston on a whim and stayed the night. Never went wrong. Get it now... 8)

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 15th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Also Dave, DF and I will miss you and yours by less than 30 days. We will be on the Conquest on October 29th. We will celebrate her birthday (neat gift) and Halloween on board.

Old April 15th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Familiar Face

Default Thanks

Thanks Brittany and Michael for the info. Have a great cruise in October Michael!
Dave
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Beginner

We stayed at the hilton at Hobbyport Airport it was a great deal booked through hotwire and it was 30 minutes to Galveston to the terminal. I think it is around 40.00 per person for Carnival's shuttle back to airport..Cheryl
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dave,

We are booked on the same cruise! We're in San Antonio but I think we'll reserve a room for the night before in Galeston. I don't want to fight traffic. It looks like Harbor House is already booked so I'll try the big names and see what I can get.

Hope to see you on board!
Carnival Paradise
NCL Dream
Carnival Elation
Carnival Conquest
Golden Princess
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Familiar Face

Default Thanks

Thanks Cheryl. That's great Ron and Sue! Hope we can meet up! How long of a drive do you have from San Antonio to Galveston? This sure adds up for me when I have flights, hotels and transfers added to the cruise cost itself. Oh well, it's all worth it.
Dave
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dave,

It's only about 3 hours from San Antonio to Houston. Makes it nice to cruise! I do think a hotel the night before is going to be a smart move for us though. I would hate to get stuck in traffic and then get worried about making it on time.
Since the first night is New Years Eve I bet it will be one heck of a sail away party!
Carnival Paradise
NCL Dream
Carnival Elation
Carnival Conquest
Golden Princess
Old April 17th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Familiar Face

Default New Year

Yes, I would think sailing on New Years Eve will be lots of fun. Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Beginner

Default Holiday Inn On the beach - Galveston

We just stayed at the Holiday Inn last week and enjoyed the hotel. They are within walking distance of a few nice restaurants and have an excellent shuttle to/from the terminal.

The traffic on the weekend heading to/from the beach was gridlocked -- but that was on a 80 degree spring weekend, not the middle of January.

Hope this helps!
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Passenger

We stayed at the Harbor House in Galveston for our cruise in January, 2006. It is too bad that this is already booked (per a previous post). It was a great place to stay and we walked to the ship on embarkation day.
Within walking distance of the harbor is the Strand historical district and from there you can take the trolley to the beach areas. Lots of nice antique stores in Galveston as well. I would think you should book into Galveston rather than Houston, then you will not have to worry about getting to the ship on time. Traffic from Houston can be horrible. Also, leave lots of time getting from the ship to your departure flight home from Houston. On our voyage, many missed their flight due to traffic problems.
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Passenger

If you booked directly from Carnival, there is no charge for the bus. (about an hour ride to airport). I recommend staying in Galveston...you can get onboard anytime after 1:30 pm.