CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Tips (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/312786-tips.html)

singjenn April 21st, 2006 11:23 PM

Tips

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this before, so I'm gonna ask again.

I'm leaving next weekend for the Valor. I know that they automatically add tips to each person's account, but allow you to adjust up or down.
I was wondering if anyone has ever adjusted the tips...up or down. And do they give you trouble if you want to lessen tips. I expect serivce will be great, but if for some reason it's not I don't want it to be hard to adjust them. Thanks!

BlueChef April 22nd, 2006 10:16 AM

Yes, you have the option of adjusting your automatic tips. However, I hope you think about this before reducing them. It's a VERY fair amount. I always leave my auto tips in place, as well as tipping a little bit more to my cabin steward the last evening....and sometimes the dining room waiters.

If the auto tips are reduced or removed, the employee who the tips would have gone to is called in by the purser to explain why, what they did wrong, to have had their tips reduced/removed. SO unfair that they work SO hard for you, and then have to defend themselves when they know they did everything they could to please you. :cry:

Please do think long and hard before doing this.

mehawk April 22nd, 2006 10:37 AM

I have always left mine alone when tipping. It's true, they do work hard.

B.J. Keen April 22nd, 2006 11:05 AM

Tips

I always leave my tips too. The wait staff makes an extremely small hourly wage. They make a living on their tips.

Irish Shark April 22nd, 2006 12:53 PM

You folks don't get it. If the service sucks, why should I not reduce the tip? If you go out to eat and the waiter stinks, do you still leave 15 - 20%? If you do you are not doing the waiter or the establishment any favors.

Poor service should be brought to management's attention so it can be fixed.

And no, I have NEVER reduced my tips on a cruise. I always give them more cash. Now, I have had a problem with the wait staff on one cruise. I talked to the manager and he spoke to the wait staff. Things got better right away.

big apple April 22nd, 2006 05:12 PM

Would like to hear your opinion as to why tips have gone to an automatic system ? Having cruised since the 50,s I have a good reason why but would like to hear the opinion of others and yes you should leave these alone and speak to a manager if there is a problem with any of those who will be receiving these tips.

Will April 22nd, 2006 05:30 PM

Not Sure,but I think it has to be with deadbeats not tipping at all.

Irish Shark April 22nd, 2006 05:42 PM

My guess is that the automatic system kind of "ensures" that the staff won't get stiffed on the last night. Folks who do not show up in the dining roon on the last night and who hide from the room stewart.

If you want to reduce your tips, you have to make a concerted effort to do so.

The other thing is that the tips are now pooled and divided up by the staff. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. You can build a case both ways.

big apple April 22nd, 2006 05:43 PM

Will,You hit it right on the head and Ican remember cruises in the past where certain individuals would not show up the last nite at dinner to avoid tipping tha waiters.From a reliable source on another cruise line doing the same thing was told that there is more remuneration going into the total pot even though they are dividing up the total tips.