Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:23 PM
Passenger

Default Tips

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this before, so I'm gonna ask again.

I'm leaving next weekend for the Valor. I know that they automatically add tips to each person's account, but allow you to adjust up or down.
I was wondering if anyone has ever adjusted the tips...up or down. And do they give you trouble if you want to lessen tips. I expect serivce will be great, but if for some reason it's not I don't want it to be hard to adjust them. Thanks!

Carnival Liberty February 2008

Carnival Celebration '07
Carnival Valor '06
Carnival Holiday '05
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, you have the option of adjusting your automatic tips. However, I hope you think about this before reducing them. It's a VERY fair amount. I always leave my auto tips in place, as well as tipping a little bit more to my cabin steward the last evening....and sometimes the dining room waiters.

If the auto tips are reduced or removed, the employee who the tips would have gone to is called in by the purser to explain why, what they did wrong, to have had their tips reduced/removed. SO unfair that they work SO hard for you, and then have to defend themselves when they know they did everything they could to please you.

Please do think long and hard before doing this.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:37 AM
Admiral

I have always left mine alone when tipping. It's true, they do work hard.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tips

I always leave my tips too. The wait staff makes an extremely small hourly wage. They make a living on their tips.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Admiral

You folks don't get it. If the service sucks, why should I not reduce the tip? If you go out to eat and the waiter stinks, do you still leave 15 - 20%? If you do you are not doing the waiter or the establishment any favors.

Poor service should be brought to management's attention so it can be fixed.

And no, I have NEVER reduced my tips on a cruise. I always give them more cash. Now, I have had a problem with the wait staff on one cruise. I talked to the manager and he spoke to the wait staff. Things got better right away.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
First Mate

Would like to hear your opinion as to why tips have gone to an automatic system ? Having cruised since the 50,s I have a good reason why but would like to hear the opinion of others and yes you should leave these alone and speak to a manager if there is a problem with any of those who will be receiving these tips.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Not Sure,but I think it has to be with deadbeats not tipping at all.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:42 PM
Admiral

My guess is that the automatic system kind of "ensures" that the staff won't get stiffed on the last night. Folks who do not show up in the dining roon on the last night and who hide from the room stewart.

If you want to reduce your tips, you have to make a concerted effort to do so.

The other thing is that the tips are now pooled and divided up by the staff. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. You can build a case both ways.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:43 PM
First Mate

Will,You hit it right on the head and Ican remember cruises in the past where certain individuals would not show up the last nite at dinner to avoid tipping tha waiters.From a reliable source on another cruise line doing the same thing was told that there is more remuneration going into the total pot even though they are dividing up the total tips.