Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default JUST back from GLORY - review

Well, we just got back today from Carnival Glory and had a fantastic week. Weather was beautiful! Left Baton Rouge and flew to Orlando on Friday the 14th where we stayed at the Best Western Airport Inn (85.00/night). Nothing fancy, but clean and had a continental breakfast the next a.m. We got to the hotel at about 6:30 from a free shuttle from the airport. Put our bags down and took a cab to town to see a Pirates dinner show. It was good - but once was enough. The next a.m. (Saturday) we took a shuttle back to the airport where we caught our transfer to the cruise terminal. The shuttles do not start to run until 11 am, so take advantage and sleep late. The transfer there was 50 min and a nice ride in a large air conditioned bus. Getting on the ship went as smooth as you can expect! No waits more than 15 min and we were given our sail and sign card and on board in no time! Make sure you fill in ALL the paper work ahead (this is what saves time). You also have to fill in the immigration paper for Nassau t hat they send you.

Well...dropped our luggage we carried on in our room (8266) and off to the Lido we went for lunch. Our room was nice and the perfect location!! However we NEVER saw our room stewart! NEVER! But, the room was clean and we had NO complaints in that department!

There were a lot of teens on board due to spring break. I would say maybe a handful at the most were needing a good slap on the rear, but for the most part, they were just having fun and were no problem.

Lets see -- a few things I can think of. Food - we actually only ate 3 times in the dining room. Just didn't fit into our schedule - but when we went, the waiter and assistant waiter were great and the food was awesome! The Lido deck food was also awesome - plenty of seating, plenty of food. Salad bars, desert bars, oriental corner, deli, etc etc etc. If you go hungry, it is no ones fault but your own! The pizza and salad bar was open 24 hour s day and they also had hamburger and hot dogs daily and at night. They didn't have the midnight buffet as all the other ships I went on had. But, the hot dogs, etc were open. They had the mexican buffet midnight buffet once when they had the deck party. Since I surly didn't need the extra calories, it didn't bother me!

The shows -- all I can say about these are DO NOT MISS THEM! They are - as with all the carnival s hips I have been on -- the best around! I cannot name one show that I didn't like. The comedian that they had could have been left out, but other than that the shows are not to be missed. Mark Price was the cruise director and he is a character! Hilarous!

Of course on deck, they did not have enough lounge chairs, but with a ship that size, and so many people, it is to be expected. We just walked around and finally found some. Wish I wouldn't have now, as I am burned to a crisp. Fell asleep on the top deck as it was soooo beautiful with the breeze and blue water...that my legs are still looking like crawfish! Luckily no one smoked up there. I don't know if there are certain areas where you can smoke or not, but on the bottom level near the windows is where I cannot sit due to the smoke!

We went to the supper club - and it was about a 3 on a scale of 1-5. I found the supper club on the spirit much better. It was delicious however and well worth the $$ you pay (we always add a very generous tip however). The only thing I didn't like about the supper club was that they had sheers on the windows and you couldn't look out at the sunset and at the time we went, they were playing soccer on the deck above us and you could hear the running around.

Our first stop was Nassau. I wish we would have had more time to spend in this port - I don't know why they leave at 2pm but we went on the Atlantis excursion to the Dig. It was wonderful and we all enjoyed it!

Our second stop was St. Thomas and here we went on our own to Coral world, Coki beach and then up the skyride. Absolutely beautiful day! Snorkel was great at the beach.

Our third stop was St. Martin and I went on the Golden Eagle catamarian. Awesome excursion. The water was as calm as glass. They took you to a island where you can snorkel and it was great!

We carried our own luggage off the ship and we were off and on our way to the airport by 9 am. Crowded, but things continued to flow without a problem.

All in all, we had a fantastic time - the ship is beautiful and emaculately clean. I did smell sewer smell slightly about 2 times and this bothered me, but the staff was friendly - the cruise director was great, and I had no complaints about anything. I didn't attend the usual games they played and at times was bored because of lack of things to do - but I think because I am older, the other little games just didn't appeal to me anymore. I just rested and enjoyed my own balcony room!

Well, this is getting lengthy. Feel free to email me with any questions (BHSrulz@aolcom)

Oh..when we docked in St. Thomas, they had 4 other ships there! I think there were more cruisers than actual residents on the island! The Glory was docked next to the Navigator of the seas and that was docked next to Carribean Princess. Ours was the smallest ship to give you an idea of the size of the others!

OK...toothpicks are not even holding my eyes up....E mail if any questions and have fun!!
Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to David148 Send a message via Yahoo to David148

Wow Nice Review!!

Thanks For Posting, Sounds like u had a good time.

We are looking to book this cruise in OCTOBER, its between this ship and Elation.

Any Picss?

Thanks,
David.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 07:17 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

cherylroy wrote,
"You also have to fill in the immigration paper for Nassau that they send you."

Do they send this paper with your docs, or do you get this paper on the ship

Nice review The wife and I are sailing there on the Valor in May. Thanks for a couple tips on excursions. We just can't make up our minds on what all to do. So little time there, and theres so much we want to do Guess this means we'll just have to book another cruise..

Thanks for sharing;
David West
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old April 23rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Admiral

David, Yes - they send the immigration papers for Nassau with your tickets (we booked with cruisesonly btw). I had filled out everything - those papers, credit card stuff, all signatures, and fun pass.

If it isn't the same David --- If I had a choice I would go with the Elation. She still is my favorite class of ships and was absolutely beautiful. Do they go to different ports now?? Nassau just doesn't have enough time!! We went to the Dig and it was a lot of walking so keep that in mind. Absolutely beautiful tho! In St. Maarteen, my huband and daughter also went horsebackriding I forgot to say. I wanted to snorkel and didn't want to subject the poor horse to my weight! They loved it - brought back pictures and had a great time.

OH.........ONE WARNING........ In St. Martin, they DO NOT take 100.00 bills ANYWHERE! We made the mistake of bringing them so as not to carry a bunch of bills. Went over to the water taxi which cost 5.00 pp. They wouldn't take them, nor would anyone change them - so we had to go back on the ship to make change at the pursers office in order to go shopping.

OH..............ONE -- ok TWO WARNING. I forgot to mention my most stupidest thing I have ever done in the carribbean. When you get off at St. Martin and go into the shopping area (which they bring you by water taxi - takes about 15 min to get on, off and over). They have people there with lotto looking tickets. Free of course. Lucky us got 777 when we scratched off and they said only 9 in the week get that. We were suckered into it and if we had time, we would have gone through with the whole thing as you could have either won a...500.00 voucher to shop; b...a cruise for 2 or c...a video recorder camera. We went over there (to the Divi resort) and it was for a presentation for time shares. I am sure you have heard of such. BUT.......it would have taken us almost 2 hours to go thru the presentation before we got our prize (which btw ended up being the cruise). So, if you don't have time........don't scratch off the ticket! I was upset we didn't have time as we had excursions, but hey.......I was in St. Marteen.......what could I complain about!!!

OK......think thats it for now

Oh.....one last thing I forgot to mention on the review. About twice during the cruise, we smelled a sewer smell - not real strong, but I had never experienced that on the other ships.

Would I take the cruise again? OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
OK........gotta go to pay bills now. Reality just hit.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 08:35 AM
Admiral

OH.......and I do have pics......but I send them off and I'll put them on the computer when they return.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to David148 Send a message via Yahoo to David148

Great! Can't wait to see the pics!!

So u would pick the "Elation" over the "Glory"? hmmm now we do have some thinking to dooo lol

Thanks,
-David.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West
Default cherylroy

After I got off the computer this morning, I took my pack-it and pulled everything out, and I found it. Thanks

Thanks so much for all the helpful tips . Yes, we've heard of the time share thing. It really didn't take off here, like in other places. So here in this area, its like a forgotten thing. And a very thank you for that warning. Want no part of that.

Its like you said, your time is so limited, and there's so much you would like to do and see.

Once again, thanks for your help ;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old April 23rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the great review!! My wife and I will be on Glory over Halloween this fall, and are very excited about the trip. Thanks for the advice on the $100 bill thing, I will be sure to keep a few smaller bills in my pocket while in the ports.
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Thank you for the great review. Looks like we did the exact same thing in St. Thomas when I was on my cruise. HAHAHA I didn't try the Bushwacker. I did pick up the T-shirt with the recipe though.

It looks like you had a perfect cruise.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Admiral

I did thanks! You should have tried the bushwacker tho! I had TWO.....:-) Thinking of trying a Princess cruise or RC now...but not sure. I'm getting tired of the same old games on Carnival. But, always go back to them! I want to go to the Mexician riviera or N.Y. area. Need to save $$ now!
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Glad to hear positive remarks about the Glory, we leave on May 6th . Can you tell me if you have to pay for the Sushi bar, we were on the Paradise two years ago and it was free. Thanks, Daneen
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:25 PM
First Mate

If you pay for the sushi you may want to look at Celebrity where it is first class and free each nite.