Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Cruise Maniac
Default stupid passport question..

Okay I know this may sound stupid, but when my ship is in port in Nasseu (sp), St. Thomas and St. Maartin do I need to bring my passport off the ship with me, or will my sail & sign card along with my ID be enough to get back onboard the ship. Also does anyone have reccomendations on how to keep your passport safe while in port if you need to take it off board. I am planning on doing things in the water such as jet skiing and snorkling and don't want my passport to get wet, but at the same time I wont have someone to hold it and keep it dry on land. Do people ever attach strings to their sail n sign card and hang them around their neck? Would this be a good idea? please help me out here!
Carnival Conquest
02/2008 Carnival Pride
10/2006 Carnival Glory
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

no need to take your passport off the ship , your sail and sign card is all you will need, we have always taken a bag with towels from the ship and sunscrean and camera and stuff like that and have never had a problem just leaving them on the beach while swimming or snorkling, if your on an exscursion just leave it with your tour guide on the tour boat or bus it will be safe,
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:30 AM

NO such thing as a stupid question --this is what you need to do: make a copy of the first page of your passport, keep that with your sign and sail card. Put your original passport in the safe in your stateroom. You can buy lanyards and have a hole punched into your sign and sail card and hang it around your neck. Or what i do is i have a small fanny pack that i keep all my daily essentials in. When we go ashore we have a beach tote to hold all our stuff. If you go on an excursion, your stuff will be safe with the tour company, if you go to the beach, get a locker.
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I bought a waterproof pouch at a sporting goods store that is on a lanyard. It works great. I do what Lisa suggested and keep a copy of my passport with me and leave the original locked in the safe on the ship.
Celebrity Century 1/09
Carnival Destiny 10/07
Carnival Destiny 9/06
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Whenever I am on foreign soil, my passport is with me. I leave a 'copy' in the cabin safe.

Reasoning ... IF, by any chance, a problem develops while you are on an island or another country, you will need your original passport, as officials will not accept a copy. Copies can be altered. There are a lot of threads on this on different boards. Also - IF the ship should leave without you, you need your original passport to be able to leave that country.

The only thing the cruiseline requires for you to re-board the ship is your Sail & Sign card.......however, they will tell you to make sure you take a photo ID as well when visiting a port.

Also - at most ports, there will be that country's uniformed official asking to see your ship ID card, as well as a photo ID. So - you will need either your passport or D/L to leave their country.
"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"
New Orleans Lady - that's ME.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM

You do not have to take your passport on shore, but it is recommended. If you leave it on the ship, there is a safe in your stateroom. If you want to keep things dry, (for water excursions, get a dive pak...awaist belt just for that type of thing). Recommend you do not leave your items with anyone on shore unless it be a relative or someone you are traveling with. I also recommend you carry medical info on shore incase of an accident.

card, carnival, cruise, dry, excursion, jet, keeping, lanyard, passort, passport, passports, safe, sail, sign, skiing, snorkle