Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Beginner

Default Birth Certificate

Is it hard to get through immigration with a copy of a birth certificate instead of an original? My original burned in a house fire. I have a state certified copy though.[/list]
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
Admiral

You need an offical copy of your birth certificate with the raised seal.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

If it's a state certified copy like you said, it should be fine. That's what most people have. In fact, does anyone actually have their original? Wouldn't the original be still on file with the state.

Liberty 12/02/07
Miracle 03/26/06
Pride 03/03
Holiday 03/87
Festivale 07/85
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Admiral

as long as your copy is official, certified with a raised seal or watermark you will be fine. If you are traveling after 12/31/06 you will need a passport.
Immigration can be a bit of a hassle with the birth certificates and photo id's - its so much easier with the passport.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

As long as the copy you have is a "state-issued, certified copy', you're good to go.

Dina - Many states are now issuing the b/c on watermark paper - so no raised seal.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Passenger

You better double check the birth certificate thing. We were required to get passports this time.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChef
As long as the copy you have is a "state-issued, certified copy', you're good to go.

Dina - Many states are now issuing the b/c on watermark paper - so no raised seal.
Thank you. I've had a passport since I was a baby so I haven't seen a birth certificate in a very long time.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard6216
You better double check the birth certificate thing. We were required to get passports this time.
Passports won't be required for cruise travel until 12/31/06.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Admiral

some islands have tightened their immigration laws. Some require passports to enter (Aruba for one, i think) double check with your TA, get the passport.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Default Birth certificate

I worked for our county's Probate Court for several years, amending birth certificates and issuing delayed birth registrations. A lot of people get confused when it comes to birth certificates. At the hospital, the beautiful hospital document with a gold seal is called a "keepsake" birth certificate, suitable for framing (or whatever you'd like to do with it ) The hospital sends the official birth registration to the state's Health Department, Division of Vital Records. Whenever you need an official copy, you contact the Health Department and request a CERTIFIED COPY of your birth certificate. When it comes, it will contain the registration number issued by the state, and an imprinted (or sometimes a sticker) seal with the signature stamp of the head of the Health Department or whoever holds the vital records ( this also includes death certificates). That means that you could lose your birth certificate a hundred times (hope not ) and still get the CERTIFIED COPY that serves as the official record of your birth.

Hope this helps!
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Passenger

Dbaby is right. When I got my passport in 2000, I had one of those "keepsake" birth certificates and the lady at the post office said it would probably not be accepted. She gave me the number of a company I could call and get a new birth certificate practically overnight, which I did. (It was going to take longer to justs go through the state office.) I got one for Mr. Longhorn, too, since we never did have one of his.

Then just last March, we had to help our daughter get a passport (she didn't have current ID so needed us to sign an affidavit as to her identity. The lady at the post office said that they've been told not to accept birth certificates from Texas or California unless there's an "I" next to the registration number -- something about too many forgeries from these states. And apparently Colorado won't accept city-issued birth certificates for drivers licenses -- only state or county issued.

Anyway, it's only going to get tougher so it looks like a passport is the way to go eventually.