Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Passenger

Default Valor - Riviera Deck

Hi everyone,

Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to Carnival and not entirely sure what to expect. One thing is for certain, I am EXCITED to go.

Anyway, my family and I are booked on the Valor (9.10.06) on the Riviera Deck. I'm not a very experienced cruiser and it has been almost ten years since my last cruise! I went in to my travel agent and this is one of the packages she offered us. I liked the sound of the Valor, so we booked it.

Since we booked I've spoken to a couple people who are very experienced Carnival cruisers and have even been on the Valor. They seemed to be divided into two camps -- those that think the Riviera deck is inhabited by rats and cockroaches and not worthy of human life and those that think that the Riviera is a great buy for cheap $$.

I had one guy tell me the Riviera is the slum of the ship and one tell me he always books the Riviera deck because there are cabins above it (as opposed to the dining room or whatever) and that it is quiet.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Did I make a mistake? I'm not bothered about the size of the cabin or anything like that -- I don't plan on being in there hardly at all! But it would be nice if it were somewhat quiet as I am a light sleeper.

Just looking for your experiences. THANKS!

Ang

"In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities" ~ Janos Arany

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Familiar Face

I've booked cabins on the Riviera deck in two different occassions, and, let me tell you, I just love it. Unless I book a cabin with a balcony, or book a guarantee ocean view cabin, I will never book a cabin on a different deck.

The Riviera deck is very quiet, and if your cabin's in midship, you hardly feel the ship moving. I was taken aback when I read your post where it says that someone said that the Riviera deck is the slum of the ship, nothing could be farther from the truth; as far as rats and cockroaches are concerned, I've never seen the critters running up and down the hallways, or in any other place for that matter.

All the decks are the same as far as cabins are concerned (unless you book a suite, or something). The only downside I find with the Riviera deck is that you have to climb the stairs to get to your muster station for the mandatory muster drill. You can't use the elevators for that. Unless you just have to be close to where the buffet is, and can't handle the walking, I find absolutely nothing wrong with saving some $ and booking down there.

We've been "Titanicsized" and when we think of the lower deck, we think "steerage," and although that might've been true aeons ago, it doesn't hold true now, and it doesn't matter what deck you're on, you receive the same service and attention from crew members.

Go ahead and have yourself a wonderful, beautiful cruise.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Passenger

Hi Nereida,

Thanks for your response - I appreciate it.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this cruise. I can't believe I have to wait until SEPTEMBER. AAARRGGHH!

Anyway, about the guy who told me that the Riviera deck is the "slum" of the ship...this guy is a co-worker and he makes a TON more money than me and only ever books suites and goes on and on about how much better his cruises are because of it. Now, I have no problem with suites or the people who have booked suites, I just have kind of a problem with this guy because he basically told me MY trip would suck if I booked on the Riviera deck.

I only have experience on NCL, but I booked lower decks then too and we had such a blast, it didn't matter to me at ALL that we were further down.

As for having to walk up the stairs or go farther to the buffet, I say, "I'm up for it"!

Thanks again for writing back -- I am glad to hear the Riviera deck is quiet.

Ang

Old May 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Captain

when we cruise we alwasy stay on the riviera deck its nice and quiet
and you can't feel the ship moving our cabin steward was helpful and
keep the cabin very clean never seen and bugs i also like the price on the cabin we don't spend all that much time in the cabin here is couple other reason to stay on riviera deck when you get off to go to the port you willl
be in the front of line to get off and when you come back you woun't be
in the line wait for the elevator just have to climb q flight stairs to your
deck there are some advanted on being on the riviera deck
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:39 AM
First Mate

On all our cruises we booked money saving rooms with the kids, and the last cruise my husband and I went alone and treeted ourselves to a suite, we did not have anything more at all, except a bathtub, although it was nice I would not do it again, the service is all the same.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!! Gail
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Hi,

Sorry your co-worker was such a . Your going to have a great time no matter where your cabin is or what type it is.

dina

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
Hi,

Sorry your co-worker was such a . Your going to have a great time no matter where your cabin is or what type it is.

dina
Thanks everybody, for responding.

Next time my co-worker starts talking about this, I'm gonna tell him to take a flying leap.

Ang

Old May 12th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Passenger

I was just on the Valor last week and on the Riviera deck. I really liked where my room was. After coming back from ports we just climbed one flight of stairs and was home. It was also closer to get in line for the ports also. There was hardly any movement in our room and we had a great time! Have fun and I wish I was there again!
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Familiar Face

I was also on the Valor Riviera deck and I agree with paddletoe53. It was great. It was clean, quiet, and less motion. You and your family will have a great time. And I looked at it this way...after eating anything and everything, the stairs were a great way to walk off the food, we hardly took the elevators.
Happy Cruising!!