Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Passenger

Default Trunk Bay Excursion Triump

We are planning our first Carnival Triump cruise this summer and we are interested in the Trunk Bay Snorkeling excursion. I would like to know if anyone had done that on his own without booking it with Carnival ($59, very expensive

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

59 bucks really isnt that bad considering your going to get transportation to a ferry to sail you to trunk bay and transportation from the pier to trunk bay , your snorkling equipment and all the transportation back, We wewre at trunk bay 2 years ago and it is simply fabulous, one of the top 10 beaches in the world , its definatly not one you want to miss.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Admiral

honestly we felt very rushed taking a ships tour to Trunk Bay, and the tour gets you there at about the same time that all the other ships tours are there so it can get really crowded. It is so easy to do it on your own. You just have to budget your time. The water taxi leaves everyhour on the hour from Red Hook Harbor. Its about a 20 minute ride from Havensight Pier to Red Hook Harbor, its about another 30-40 minute ride over to St. John island and then its about a 10minute taxi ride to Trunk Bay.
Go to www.vinow.com for the water taxi rates and schedules. You can do the trip on your own for about $40.00 per person and your time would be your own. Its up to you.
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:58 PM
First Mate

DO NOT miss Trunk Bay. It is the most beautiful beach, with the most fantastic blue waters, I have ever seen in my life. $59.00 is a great deal, but I think you should do the one at about $99.00. As Jacobs stated, it is one of the greatest beaches in the world!
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Passenger

I would like to know how much time do you have in the water sknorkling and is the water deep? What if I don't know how to swim ?
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've also done it on my own and you really don't save that much $, but you have the freedom of going and coming back when you want. You'll have to check out the ferry schedule and plan according to that.

St. Thomas ferry schedule

Looks like the cost is pretty close by doing it with a ship excursion.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:35 PM
First Mate

If you take the tour you will probably go to an alcove where there is no sand/land so you really should know how to swim - however, you can wear a inflatable life vest for bouyancy. You should make another, longer, stop at the beach where you will have plenty of time to swim, snorkel, etc. This is a perfect place even if you do not know how to swim. Trunk Bay is absolutely beautiful, don't miss it.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Passenger

No land no sand? Do you mean right in the middle of the ocean? That is scary

Can any who went on the ship excursion tell me when the excursion start?

Thanks
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Admiral

don't panic, it sounds like Mike is talking about an excursion on a boat, where you would anchor out in the bay.
The ships excursion will take you by van or taxi and drop you off at Trunk Bay.
Call your TA and ask what the excursion times are. The first excursions usually depart shortly after the ship has docked and cleared customs.
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Passenger

I went to Trunk bay on my own. I think I saved money because I just wanted to beach it and not snorkel. However, they are infamous for the reef and snorkeling. I don't think it is the type of excursion where you jump off the side of the boat and snorkel. The people I saw snorkeling looked to be in relatively shallow water. (as if they had walked in from the beach) I can't be sure of that though since I didn't take the excursion. Don't miss Trunk Bay, even if you can hang out on the beach. It was one of the highlights of my cruise in March. Also...did you know it is a US national park? So it is really clean and has facilities and such. Have fun, I am jealous!
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Passenger

It looks like everyone agrees that I should not miss the Trunk Bay excursion. Has anyone done the St. Thomas Snorkel & Beach Adventure by Carnival? It's advertised for only $39 pp for 3 hours. Sounds pretty good deal to me.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Admiral

swhli - just so you know, a 3 hour excursion will give you about an hour of beach/snorkel time. The 3 hours includes transportation time.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to robbery65

I did Trunk Bay on my own 2 years ago and did the Snuba there right off the beach. It was wonderful. However, it is very time consuming getting over there. I think our ship docked at 10 and left at 5 or 6 - we were on the Glory. You have to take a 20 min taxi ride to the ferry and the ferry only runs every hour on the hour. I think the ferry takes 30-45 min can't remember. Then you take another 15-20 mn taxi ride to the beach. By the time we got there I think it was 12:30 and our snuba was at 1. After we were done with the Snuba we really only had a half hour to relax on the beach and we were starving and the snack bar had already closed (the only one there). Then we had to leave, after you calculate all the above times and want to get that ferry that comes on the hour, you really have to be careful. It was a great day, but we felt rushed.