Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Why are "older ships" taboo?

I like to research my trips since cruises are more out of pocket up front than a land trip...but when I decide on an itinerary, time of year, and port - the first words out of the mouth of my travel agent is "thats one of the older ships...how about this one instead?" which normally results in a higher price, unreachable port and a compromise on the length of the cruise! Do they think I don't look at the age of the ship? Is classic beauty no longer appreciated? I'm a little order myself - is that a reason to avoid ME? UGH!!

Am I missing out on the secret?
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Admiral

The research is fun and as I had stated in an earlier posting, many planes are 20-30 years old and have good service in them still. Most of the shipd out there are much newer than that. Go enjoy yourselves.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I started cruising when the smaller ships were the large ships, and as they got larger, I cruised the larger ones. This past March, I did the Sensation (after 10 years of Megaships), and had just as much fun, didn't feel crowded, and had all the options of the larger ship. Many people don't like the smaller ships due to the very limited number of balconies, but for me, a balcony is not a deciding factor in my cruises. I would choose the itinerary I want and pick the ship that does that itinerary. I am not aware of any of the smaller ships (Fantasy class) that do 7 day or longer cruises (I could be wrong), I think they usually do the 3-5 day cruises.

Jodi
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Admiral

In the past, the older, and therefor smaller ships were religated to the shorter itinerarys. Often they were allowed to run down a bit, partly because they are older, and partly because of the fact that loading, and unloading two, or even three times a week is very, very hard on the ship, and its furnishings, carpet etc. Also, the older ships didn't have some of the extras, like lots of balconys, that the newer ships have. As a result, many agents, and travelers were reluctant to sail these ships. I kind of think that this is a trend that's turning around. Many of the older ships have had "rebuild & refits", that make them even more desirable than the new megaships, IMO. The Celebrity "Century" is a perfect example of this. I loved the Century before the refit, and know I'll like it even better after. I personally prefer the 70,000 ton size ship, and will continue to sail those vessels when I have a choice. Read the ship reviews, and make a decision based on those, as well as ininerary, line, price, etc.
See you aboard,
Ken
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Beginner

My wife and I have been on both "Old" and New ships and it all depends what you are looking for and how long ago the ship was updated. We were on the Norway 3 times and it had a better sports bar then the Legend did last year. You should be more concerned with itinerary and what the ship has on board that interests you. Chech with the boards about the ship before you book and if the TA keeps pushing you on something that you are not interested get a new TA
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Why are "older ships" taboo?

[/b]js2003 - No, you aren't missing out. In fact, some of the older ships have been the most pleasurable for me. There's a sense of intimacy that the larger, newer ships don't have. I'm very fond of the Holiday, which is the oldest and smallest ship in Carnival's present fleet. All the ships go into drydock from time to time, and get all the refurbishment necessary to keep them in top order.

You asked why the TAs seem to push the newer ships. You already answered your own question.....MORE money....plain and simple.

I've cruised on Carnival's oldest AND newest ships. Had just as great a time on both - and those in between. [/b]

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

I want to go back on the Sensation, it was my first cruise ship, and I would love to revisit her. I prefer the longer cruises so maybe back to back cruises
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Admiral

sometimes "old" is good and IMHO more enjoyable for the cruising purist in all of us that have been cruisng for a decade or more..the purist want a clean cabin, good food, enjoyable crew members and fellow passengers, decent ports of call, some romance all for an affordable rate

we were very happy long before the mega ships and balconies (remember when an OV cabin was considered great), didn't need rock climbing walls and supper clubs and the internet etc...

I remember when Carnival introduce the Tropicale..in it's day it was the "Freedom of the Seas" of it's time..now it's considered ancient

it's all relative..if the price and ports of call meet your requirements, cruise the older ships..I also find the crew on the older ships work harder to make sure cruise more enjoyable because the ship does not have all the bells and whistles
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:29 AM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to tazman Send a message via Yahoo to tazman

Century is one of our favorites too. Outside of the ship we had some of the best people to sail with. We are hoping that Elation will be the same. We have also sailed the mega-ships.Voyager and Explorer. They were fun too. But in a different way. Seems like for some of us the older ships aren`t taboo.

John
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Older Ships Taboo

As to older ships being "taboo" I only had one complaint when I sailed on the Celebrity Horizon - no longer part of the fleet. I enjoy swimming - and I thought that the pool was too small for the number of people on board.

Other than that -I love the thought that older ships are "taboo". I don't need a balcony, a climbing rock, or other extras that are marketed to the sailing public. I need reasonable prices so I can go on lots of cruises.

Thus I look for the ships that are a few years old to get some decent deals. Hey - I am on a cruise - so what if one of the carpets in front of the elevator has a stain that didn't all come out? So long as my cabin is clean, the food is good - and the shows are fun - I don't care.

Thus I hope the sailing public demands only large and new ships - and I can keep on cruising at an affordable price on slightly older ships!
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:53 PM
Beginner

I like the way you think. That`s a good idea. We travel in the fall to get the good prices and avoid the crowds. So build the Libertys and the Freedoms. That way we do get the good prices. And with Elation we get new ports.

John
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:56 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

exactly!! I agree 100%

I also hope they keep on building bigger and better so that I can enjoy the older, smaller ships on 2 cruises per year.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:26 AM
Beginner

Wouldn`t that be cool.It`s a great plot.Shhhh Don`t tell anyone. They might catch on and want to come too.

John
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Now that I sailed on theCarnival Celebration (older) ship and the Glory (new)bigger ship with those experiences behind me I find that I liked the smaller ship lots better.
The celebration was smaller and easier to get around.
The Glory was big and crowded at the elevators the first 2 days people trying to find their way around the ship.
The food on both ships were about the same I prefer the lido buffet to dining rooms.The CD Mark Price on Glory was awesome!!
Just my opinion everybody has one

GG

Celebration June 9-05
Glory May13-06
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Tazman,

We're looking forward to our trip on the Elation as well. We're leaving on 11/06/06. My father will be getting married aboard and my husband and I will be meeting some of our new "family" for the first time. We think my dad's fiancée is delightful and feel certain that the other members at the wedding festivities will be as well!

This will be my husband's first cruise, so I'm hoping that it will be a good one... as I hope many more are in our future!
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to KSTAZMAN

Kathleen I hope your dad has a great marriage. Sure is a good start with the wedding on a ship.I have high hopes that this will be a super nice cruise for us also.We haven`t had any bad ones so it should be super. Last year we did alot of self directed events. Only booked one excursion.Most ports we got off the ship and walked around the towns. Got away from the dock area and all the t-shirt shops.It made for a great adventure.With a smaller ship we hope to not get swallowed up in the towns.

Hope it all works out for you too.

John
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I actually had more fun on the Jubilee than on the Triumph. All depends on my attitude that week and of course the staff and fellow passangers.
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Passenger

I sailed on the Celebration which is older & smaller and had an EXCELLENT time!!!
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Passenger

I sailed on the Celebration which is older & smaller and had an EXCELLENT time!!!
Old June 15th, 2006, 04:15 AM
First Mate

There is nothing wrong with the "older ships" in my opinion. Carnival builds 2 new ships every year and its ridiculous to think that if a ship is a year or more old that it shouldn't be sailed. I was on the INSPIRATION in April and i loved the ship. I thought the decor with all the neon lights and things seemed very modern and i felt like the ship was new. Most people book based on the time of year and when their vacation time falls, and if it means sailing an older ship thats what they will do. Its not time to retire those "old gems" yet. And their are quite a few great ones as i have heard!
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Captain

I prefer the older ships. They are more spacious. The new ships have crowded in so many more cabins that it has made the rest of the ship feel claustrophobic. That is the way I feel on the Conquest. Don't get me wrong, I still cruise on the Conquest, I just like the older ships better.
Old June 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Admiral

I'll get on any ship. I don't care what age it is. HAHAHA

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Captain

We have been on the Conquest 2 times & loved it..... Taking the Celebration on Sept. 9th because of the military discount offered ($219).... Taking my daughter & her boyfriend so the price is right.... Not to bad of a drive to Jacksonville, FL from Mississippi..... We were looking at the Glory but the $299 deal jumped to $399 plus the extra miles & motel expense.....
QUESTION...... Is there a buffet on the Celebration?? .. Bob & Kathy

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)