Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Embarkation in NYC Port

On 4 PM sailings in NYC passengers cannot enter the cruise terminal before 1:30 PM at the earliest. The NY/NJ Port of Authority has very strict boarding rules; passengers pay have to wait at the drop-off curb area if they arrive too early - for security reasons.

There's no way people cruising from NY can hope to get late breakfast or even lunch when board - the only option is Lido Buffet area. Everyone wants to come early and board first! It's usually a longer wait for early arrivals - they have the same agenda in mind!

Best time I have found is around 2:45-3:15 PM when the lines have gotten shorter after the early birds get processed. We only live approx. 4 miles from the terminal, so we can be there in less than 15 minutes that time of day....after 3 PM we will sit in rush hour traffic getting into Manhattan even though there are 4 bridges and 2 tunnels we can use to cross the East River from Queens into the "City".

Good luck to all and happy sailing!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Passenger

I've cruised out of NYC a number of times (5) and I was always on the ship by 12:30. I left my home in Queens (appx 30 minutes with traffic) around 10ish and arrived at the terminal always before 11. All my ship departures were at 5 and at noon they always let you board the ship. I never encounter a long line or problem embarking. Sometimes you couldn't get into your room until 1PM, but I was lucky and my room was always available. I would drop off my carry on luggage, head to the buffet and explore the ship. I even had time once to relax in the jacuzzi before the lifeboat drill. I find earlier is better in this case. The most recent being on the Legend in April, by noon we were on the ship as it came up from Florida empty and had no prior passengers.
Norwegian Dream 2/05
Caribbean Princess 6/05
Carnival Legend 10/05
Carnival Legend 4/06
Carnival Victory 8/06
Carnival Liberty 11/06
Carnival Miracle 6/07
Carnival Victory 8/07
Norwegian Star 6/08
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've also sailed out on NYC (7), on several lines, and agree with the above. We always arrive at the pier at 11 am (either by limo or personal car), and we've always been aboard by 12-12:30, regardless what the boarding time on the docs said!!
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi arldeb & Jamman:
I haven't gone out of the "City" since 2002 (Just Fla) but my CA cautioned that in the past few months security is tight when other passengers are leaving the ship that you will next sail on. Thanks for the heads-up on your experiences - we will attempt early arrival and can only hope we won't have to sit on our luggage at the pier for too long! Have you experienced quicker process times using the pre printed Fun Pass for boarding? Let me know....Donna

Old May 15th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

There is a seperate line for those that have completed thier Fun Pass and it seems to speed up the process. Since we're Platinum, we get to use the VIP (Skippers Club) check in.
Previous Cruises since 1985 Carnival (32) - Holiday X4, Jubilee, Celebration X3, Fantasy X2, Ecstasy, Sensation X2, Fascination X2, Destiny X2, Victory, Triumph X2, Glory X2, Legend X3, Pride X2, Miracle X3, Dream, Splendor
Cunard - Countess
NCL - Norway
Premier - Rembrandt
Celebrity - Zenith
RCI - Explorer of the Seas

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jamman - how recent was your last one out of Manhattan? Can I take your info as "solid" and plan to arrive by 12 noon or so? I don't want to butt heads with the "Federaleeees" ! We pre reg the fun passes and all are printed - all docs are complete - just waiting for cruise tickets to arrive, prob. this week. Is there a special line for Fun Pass holders? Thanks for your reply and attention to my endless, anal-retentive queries.

Old May 16th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Last one out of NYC in July 2004, also on the Legend. Friends of mine went last September and were on board at Noon.
Previous Cruises since 1985 Carnival (32) - Holiday X4, Jubilee, Celebration X3, Fantasy X2, Ecstasy, Sensation X2, Fascination X2, Destiny X2, Victory, Triumph X2, Glory X2, Legend X3, Pride X2, Miracle X3, Dream, Splendor
Cunard - Countess
NCL - Norway
Premier - Rembrandt
Celebrity - Zenith

Old May 16th, 2006, 09:04 AM
First Mate

Will be leaving on the Legend in August and also getting married on the ship. They told us to be at the pier 10:30-11 am, since we are getting married. Hey Jamman, I'm not far from Somerset, just across the way in Hillsborough!
Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Howdy nieghbor!! Congrats on the upcoming wedding and the cruise!! A winning combination!! You guys and your party will be first to board!!
Cunard - Countess
NCL - Norway
Premier - Rembrandt
Celebrity - Zenith