Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Default tipping room steward

Even though Carnival has automatic tipping.does any one tip the room steward on the first day to get better service??If so how much???
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Admiral

I never have, although I've heard that some do, expecting better service for the duration of the cruise. I've also heard that sometimes the steward, or stewardess takes this the "wrong way" and assume that this may be all they will get, or that you assume that the only way to get service is to tip in advance. I've never had poor service from a steward and usually tip above and beyond at the end. This seems to be very greatly appreciated!
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Admiral

I tip the cabin stewart on the last night. This is inaddition to the regular tip. It is usually between $50 - $100.

If we eat at the traditional time and not the Anytime Dining, I tip the waiter and bus boy about the same.

Now I must say that the extra tip is not automatic. If the service is not up to par even after I voice a complaint, there is no additional tip.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Admiral

I always tip them something on the first day..... usually a courtesy twenty spot.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Admiral

On our first three cruises we never pre-tipped the room steward. On our last cruise we did-and got the worst service we've ever had! We usually tip extra at the end of the cruise, but this time we just left the recommended amount.

I think you either have a wonderful steward or a terrible steward (or something in between). IMO, I don't think tipping at the beginning of your cruise makes any difference at all.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Fern,I don't think your situation was because of you giving them a tip in advance...probably just a bad steward to begin with.With auto tipping this steward should have known that you would adjust that if they slacked on their duties,and chose not to earn the extra money.Speaking for myself only....it does make a difference in our service quality,even if it is just extra towel animals,or extra chocolates on the pillow.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I concur with Will - I usually pre-tip the steward first or second day and indirectly let him/her know that I will see them AGAIN on the day before we dock. If I have a particular request re: my cabin needs I make sure my expectations are understood - with a smile and a firm handshake and thanking them in advance for their service. On the last day at sea I make it my business to seek out my steward to deliver on my word. At times I employ the same tactic with our table servers up front! Always cash tip room service person on first delivery; they usually are assigned to the same area of service, depending upon the time of day we order. I have found that we receive more expedient service - wait time is less than 15 minutes as opposed to wait times up to 1 hour on some past cruises before we started pre-tipping.

On many occasions I have informed the service desk that I want the mandatory charges excluded from my card and explain my reasons for doing so. I read that Carnival, in particular, posts a daily report (for the service staff's information) of guests who have the $10./pp/pday removed but they also note the reason as well. On a recent Celebrity cruise our cabin was not vacuumed for the first 3 days and then only after I approached our steward without making a formal complaint.

(My daughter actually took a clump of hair from her brush and placed it directly in the center of the carpeted room after breakfast and when we returned to dress for dinner it was right where she left it! Oh, we had the pretty point on the bathroom tissue and one fresh towel twisted into a "bunny" thing, but no ice, no empty trash basket etc.) After that we started our policy of advance "notice" tips, and it works for us.

We are not ambivalent to the needs of the staff's dependency on tips; in fact it is not uncommon for us to slip a few $$$ cash to the buffet workers, pool crew swabbing the decks after hours when we stroll through the area, the people who clean a table in Lido so we can be seated immediately, the maintenance crew who can be seen anywhere, anytime polishing the railings in the halls and staircases....you get the picture. We appreciate their efforts and recognize them without reservation....but our generosity is discretionary not mandated.

This is just my style, and although others may not agree with the way I manage my funds on this topic, I respect their opinions as well. My remarks hopefully will not be misconstrued as a forum for rebuttal or open for debate, in perpetuity.

Safe sailing!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Hi Will,

Quote:
Fern,I don't think your situation was because of you giving them a tip in advance...probably just a bad steward to begin with.
I agree with you! I was just making the point that the first time we decided to pre-tip we shouldn't have! I think he must have been at the end of his contract and just didn't care. I hope so, for the sake of the next cruisers !

Hi beachbumMom,

Quote:
My remarks hopefully will not be misconstrued as a forum for rebuttal or open for debate, in perpetuity.
Hopefully... Don't hold your breath!

Sea Princess 2014
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Fern:

Not holding my breath here!

I expect the usual pro-con feedback eventually will post here; that's what this forum is all about. As I stated I respect the opinion of others just as I would like mine to be respected - and like my dear old Mom used to say all the time "opinions are just like 'tushies'..everybody's got one". If we all thought alike, this would be a very boring existence!

I will post a review of my cruise (can't wait to go) upon returning home. With all the great things I have read about Carnival I anticipate having a fantastic trip!

8) Donna

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: tipping room steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjoe30
Even though Carnival has automatic tipping.does any one tip the room steward on the first day to get better service??If so how much???
I would never tip the cabin steward on the first day. This seems to me like a bribe...like you're saying to him/her "I KNOW you won't do a good job, but maybe this will entice you."

The stewards, as well as the dining room waitstaff, receive a list of who leaves their auto tips in place and who removes them.

I leave mine in place - always - and tip a little extra (nowhere near $50/100!) on the last evening.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

[quote="Irish Shark"]I tip the cabin stewart on the last night. This is inaddition to the regular tip. It is usually between $50 - $100.

If we eat at the traditional time and not the Anytime Dining, I tip the waiter and bus boy about the same.

Your cabin stewarD must be very happy to receive such a generous amount - if it's over and above the auto tips.

Carnival doesn't have "Anytime Dining", only traditional. You must be thinking of another line?

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Admiral

[quote="BlueChef"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
I tip the cabin stewart on the last night. This is inaddition to the regular tip. It is usually between $50 - $100.

Your cabin stewarD must be very happy to receive such a generous amount - if it's over and above the auto tips.

Carnival doesn't have "Anytime Dining", only traditional. You must be thinking of another line?

It was a general statement not directed to Carnival. The Anytime Dining/Freestyle Dining on other lines. If we do eat at the traditional times, then that is what I tip for great services renerded.

Yes, all my tips are over the suggested amounts for the auto tip.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Hi Bluechef,not trying to bribe them,just want to get their attention Day 1...Take Care
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
........a general statement not directed to Carnival.

Oh. I guess I thought, since the OP was questioning about a Carnival cruise, and this is the Carnival board, I misunderstood...?

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cana57

Boy did I undertip for extraordinary service. I tipped similarly to what we did in Mexico but from this site, I've learned a lesson. If anyone sails on the Imagination and gets Janthai on the Empress Deck, please make up the difference for me. I was newbie but now I know! I am normally a good tipper but I feel like I have now let my steward down. In my note with the tip I did give, I did give him a note saying that it was my first cruise and I wish it could have been more!

Carnival Imagination 5/4/06
Carnival Fantasy 9/30/06
Carnival Inspiration 5/3/07
Carnival Triumph 10/13/07
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Admiral

We are not in the habit of pre-tipping, it almost feels like a bribe. We make sure that we meet our cabin steward on the first day. If we have any "special requests" that are not in the normal realm of his/her everyday job, we will tip extra on the spot.
We are not fans of the automatic or pre-tipping. We use the amounts as a general guideline as to what we will tip at the end of the cruise, usually it is more than the suggested amount.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChef
Quote:
........a general statement not directed to Carnival.

Oh. I guess I thought, since the OP was questioning about a Carnival cruise, and this is the Carnival board, I misunderstood...?
You did not misunderstand. I was giving my opinion in general. It has nada to do with what cruise ship that you are on.

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Hi Teri,

Quote:
I am normally a good tipper but I feel like I have now let my steward down.
If you left the "automatic" tip on and tipped Janthai anything extra, you're fine!

If you took the "automatic" tip off, and didn't tip $10.00 pp/per day .
You'll just have to book another cruise to make up for it !

Sea Princess 2014
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

We don't tip on the first day for sure! We do tip at the end EXTRA 50-100 (or divide it into the 2 people that work together). However, this past time, although my room was clean and I did not see my cabin steward not ONCE! No introduction - no hello - no nothing. I couldn't tell you what color hair he had-- or she??? So...nope, didn't tip anything. Didn't know who to tip.......
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Passenger

We tip our room steward at the beginning middle and end of the cruise. We've never had anything other than excellent service. I wouldn't stay in a hotel without tipping dialy. He was very appreciative of these tips and not offended in the least (otherewise he wouldn't have accepted).

Enjoy your cruise ;-)
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Passenger

I never saw the room steward either, but when the cute towel animals were left in the room, I put a $2 bill in the mouth of the animal for the steward to pick up the next day. On the last day we left $15 I think. We tipped the person who brought the coffee in the morning and I really don't know if that was "our guy" or not.

The room was made up twice a day and always clean. I wish we could have met the person who was working for us and maybe the tip would have been more. All of the people who work on board seem to be pleasant and work VERY hard.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumMom
I concur with Will - I usually pre-tip the steward first or second day and indirectly let him/her know that I will see them AGAIN on the day before we dock. If I have a particular request re: my cabin needs I make sure my expectations are understood - with a smile and a firm handshake and thanking them in advance for their service. On the last day at sea I make it my business to seek out my steward to deliver on my word. At times I employ the same tactic with our table servers up front! Always cash tip room service person on first delivery; they usually are assigned to the same area of service, depending upon the time of day we order. I have found that we receive more expedient service - wait time is less than 15 minutes as opposed to wait times up to 1 hour on some past cruises before we started pre-tipping.

On many occasions I have informed the service desk that I want the mandatory charges excluded from my card and explain my reasons for doing so. I read that Carnival, in particular, posts a daily report (for the service staff's information) of guests who have the $10./pp/pday removed but they also note the reason as well. On a recent Celebrity cruise our cabin was not vacuumed for the first 3 days and then only after I approached our steward without making a formal complaint.

(My daughter actually took a clump of hair from her brush and placed it directly in the center of the carpeted room after breakfast and when we returned to dress for dinner it was right where she left it! Oh, we had the pretty point on the bathroom tissue and one fresh towel twisted into a "bunny" thing, but no ice, no empty trash basket etc.) After that we started our policy of advance "notice" tips, and it works for us.

We are not ambivalent to the needs of the staff's dependency on tips; in fact it is not uncommon for us to slip a few $$$ cash to the buffet workers, pool crew swabbing the decks after hours when we stroll through the area, the people who clean a table in Lido so we can be seated immediately, the maintenance crew who can be seen anywhere, anytime polishing the railings in the halls and staircases....you get the picture. We appreciate their efforts and recognize them without reservation....but our generosity is discretionary not mandated.

This is just my style, and although others may not agree with the way I manage my funds on this topic, I respect their opinions as well. My remarks hopefully will not be misconstrued as a forum for rebuttal or open for debate, in perpetuity.

Safe sailing!
I totally agree with Beachbum........we do the same thing. As soon as we get on we look for our stewart and give him an advance tip. Never had bad service. Also, at the end of the cruise, I seek out our regular bartender, and others who have served us well and put there additional tip in a cute little box, or ceramic box that I have made. They love it.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Captain

Leaving a little extra every day sure feels good and gives the person something to look forward to in a normally humdrum job. Also, if you bring a little gift. Makes the person feel appreciated and they will probably want to please you with better service.
The tip that is automatic on the card is so impersonal.

Karen

I used to clean at a hotel and the Japanese would leave one dollar under or on the pillow. What fun that was and especially when you forget it is there when making up the bed. A little surprise to brighten the day.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

When I go on Mardi Gras cruises - being from the New Orleans area, I bring beads and Mardi Gras material for them. Some have never heard of the word, much less experienced it!
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Yeoman

What great ideas.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Old May 21st, 2006, 12:42 PM
Yeoman

What I was trying to say is there were a couple of great ideas, like the tipping a dollar and putting it under the pillow each day, or tipping a few dollars daily instead of pre and post cruising. Sorry I didn't explain it better.
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:14 PM
Admiral

I understood your post Criscomia...Just did not understand the post before yours.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Captain

The Japanese would bring a tiny wrapped gift from Japan and give to service people. How thoughtful to take the time to think of others.
I still have a set of Cornell bowls that a woman from Germany gave me when she heard I was moving.
Karen
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
I understood your post Criscomia...Just did not understand the post before yours.
Sorry Will......thought you were talking about me......wouldn't be the first time I didn't make myself clear.......ask my DH.