Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Just back from the Holiday

JUst got back from the Holiday. If there is any doubt in your mind about this ship, forget your worries. She is a great ship with a fantastic crew! Doesn't have all the glitz and glamour of the newer, larger ships, but more than makes up for it by the friendliness of the crew.

Any questions, e-mail me.

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Passenger

Thanks a bunch Chris, we leave next Thursday on the Holiday and boy are we EXCITED!!!!! I was a little worried after the FEMA situation and after reading complaints, but everytime I read positive reviews like yours I just get more and more excited, Thanks a lot!!! !!!!!
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Passenger

We leave on the Holiday July22. This will be our second trip on her. Have also been on the Sensation once and the Holiday crew was much friendlier. Glad you had a great time!

Old May 26th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Beginner

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon on the Holiday. We cruised on May 08, 2006. The ship is fine, except for some of the cabins. If you're on Main deck from about Cabin 170 to Cabin 193 (that was ours), the vibrations are really bad. Anytime we were in port or going slow, the cabin shock and rattled very badly. Two nights, we couldn't even sleep for it. We spoke to alot of other couples in the back of the ship and they had the same problems. Alot of the people complained to Carnival, but nothing was done about. it. Other than the cabin problem, the cruise was fun. Great food. Great crew.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Passenger

We got back from cruising on the Holiday on 5-4-06. We were on the main deck in cabin 122 & we had constant vibration in our cabin. It wasn't so bad that we couldn't sleep but it never stopped the whole time. We still had a great time but I had never encountered the vibrating like that before.
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

I normally don't read this board because I don't cruise with Carnival, but one of the regulars asked if I, as an enginner and a former naval officer, might be able to shed some light on the subject of vibrations. Here goes.

Fundamentally, vibrations generally are the result of rotating machinery that is out of balance or misaligned, though it may also come from improperly damped linear motion or some other uncompensated oscillation. Here are some common examples.

>> After mounting car or truck tires on the wheels (or "rims"), a mechanic always puts the assembly on a sophisticated machine that spins it at a moderately high speed and measures the direction and magnitude of any imbalance. The mechanic then attaches small weights to the lighter side of the rim to ensure that your tire balances properly. If those weights fall off, the tire and wheel will produce an annoying vibration with a frequency proportional to the speed of the vehicle -- the faster you go, the higher the frequency.

>> Some highways have "rumble strips" just outside the shoulder stripes that induce a vibration, and some highways also have "rumble strips" across the whole road just before a toll booth or just before the end of the highway. The purpose of the "rumble strips" is to alert inattentive motorists before they go off the highway completely or crash into a barrier. The "rumble strip" is, of course, just a periodic roughness in the pavement that causes the wheel, and thus the vehicle, to vibrate at a frequency proportional to the vehicle's speed.

Now, what would cause the vibration that you all describe aboard MV Holiday? Judging from your description of the location, it could be a vibration in the main propulsion shafts -- perhaps due to bad windings in a motor, a worn bearing, a bearing that's out of alignment, a slightly warped shaft, or a damaged propeller, but it might also be from other machinery -- including, for example, electrical generators or ventillation fans -- that happen to be in the vicinity of the cabins that have the problem. It also may be due to the prime movers (whatever turns the ship's electrical generators), which probably are diesels on that vessel.

Norm.
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Pretty well said Rev22:17
We are sailing on the Holiday in Sept. with our son and daughter-in-law.( if the hurricanes allow it this year )
There really getting excited about it. Its good to read about positive reviews on the Holiday.

Happy Cruising;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Beginner

We were on the May 22-27 cruise. I noticed the shaking especially towards the back of the boat in the Seven Seas Dining Room and in the Americana Lounge. Our cabin was on the 7th floor Empress Deck. It was a foward cabin and I thought it was a perfect location. My husband and I slept better in this cabin than we have in months. There is quite a bit of movement on this ship, but it was my first cruise so I have nothing to compare to. Although, some others with our group, have cruised before and said that the movement was more than normal. This was not a big deal to me. I thought this boat was awesome, especially given it's age. The crew kept it spotless. This was amazing to me considering all the traffic of people. I can be pretty picky and I would cruise this ship again.
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Familiar Face

We were located in E47
Carnival Destiny 25Oct08 rm1120
Carnival Legend 30Sept07 rm6232 Great Balcony
Carnival Valor 10Sept06 rm1011
Carnival Holiday 08May06 rmE47
Commodore Enchanted Isle 09Sept98 rm465