Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Best and worst shore excursions Limon, Colon and Belize,

I would appreciate any information anyone may have on what they think is the best and worst shore excursion in Limon, Costa Rica; Colon, Panama and Belize. Will be sailing on Carnival Legend on November 16, 2006.

John

Elation Oct 2004
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lucky you!! We sailed the Legend in April...best ship so far!!! The Panama Canal is expensive but well worth it..after all how many times do you see one of the "wonders of the world" We took the ferry through 3 locks, about 7 hours. You are so close you can touch the sides of the canal. I would not consider any other excursion in Panama.
Costa Rica we did the "green train". Part of the trip was by bus and then train and last boat. Saw lots of the countryside. They also took us to a banana plantaion. In Belize I took the sights and sounds tour which was ok.. Husband took the zipline canopy which he said was great. We had friends do the private island and they really enjoyed it.. If you take the Panama Canal tour I suggest you book it through the ship.. When you sail through the canel you are at the mercy of the canal authority..if you are late getting back the ship will wait for you if you book through Carnival. We were over a hour late getting back and I would have been a nervous wreck is I thought the ship had sailed without me!! We loved the Legend so much we booked the Spirit in Novemeber to Acapulco..
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I guess it all depends on what you like to do. I can only speak for Belize, have not been to the other 2 ports. I did cave tubbing the first time there. It was relaxing but nothing special. It is basically a slow float down a river in a tube. The bus ride to the place is about an hour or so each way. The 2nd time in Belize, I did the Lamani tour which a Mayan ruins site deep in the jungle. This is a fantastic tour. You get to climb the ruins, see wild crocs, howler monkeys etc. They also have a very cool boatride to the site. I did the canopy tour in Ochos last year, although not Belize, I am guessing that the canopy tours are similar. If so, that would also be a total blast!
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

The Lamani tour sounds pretty neat. We went on the cave tubing and had an awesome time! It was great - nice hike through the rainforest to the place where you tube and beautiful ride in the tube through caves, etc. Would definitely do it again - but want to try that other tour also! Thanks to Grady, we are also going on the panama canal excursion (with the ship) in February. Will let you know then about that one!
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Passenger

Without a doubt . . . . The Maruba Jungle Spa & resort in Belize. (It's a 5 star resort located in the middle of a rain forest in the heart of Belize). This is not a tour offered by the cruiseline. I booked through island marketing dot com.

I really cannot say enough good things about this place. What a GREAT experience!! REALLY hope to go back again some day.

If you do a google search for Maruba jungle spa, you will see their website which can explain it a LOT better than I can.

Annie
Old May 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM
First Mate

I haven't done this trip since Novermber 2001, but this is what I did. In Limon, I went on the 4x4 Offroad Adventure. They took us up through the mountains into little villages and through banana plantations, we seen lots of countryside, but we only stopped 2 times. I couldn't get many pictures because we were in a moving vehicle. The scenery is excellent!!

In Panama, I did the 2 Oceans by Rail tour. This was great, the old railroad goes right alongside the canal, through tunnels and jungle. I wasn't interested in the locks, I live in Michigan seen locks my whole life and they all work the same. But the canal itself was fascinating.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM
First Mate

like irish girl i am not interested in spending alot of money going through the locks. i see the mississippi river every day and have gone through many locks all my life. it is neat but not anything new for me. i also want to go into the forest and see the ruins and investigate the animals and plant life. i still have to decide what tour i am going to take in each of your ports. there are way to many choices to pick from .
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Admiral

I would reccomend the Grand tour in Panama. You get to see the Gatun locks and watch a ship pass, then you take a boat in the Gatun lake (my favorite part very beautiful) to meet the Umbria Indians, have a Q&A session with the chief to ask about the life style of these people. It's like 3 tours in one. A bit costly but not as costly as the all day canal tour. I ran out of memory card taking photos and movies on this.

In Belize I did a private tour with Coral Breeze limited. An american owned company. I wanted to do the shark/ray alley snorkle Carnival no longer offers. I had a great time and would reccomend this company, if you want to save money and go in a smaller group. Instant message me for more info, they offer many other excursions that Carnival does for less just watch your time your on local Belize time with them not the same as the ships.

In Costa rica I did the Sloth Sanctuary I liked it a lot if I go again though I will do the Canal tour. I heard this one is the best to see wild life! The Legend is a great ship, good food and service. Great ports you will have a blast! You can read my review under reader reviews for more details.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean